MT-Sen: John Walsh out, Amanda Curtis in (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 06:15:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MT-Sen: John Walsh out, Amanda Curtis in (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MT-Sen: John Walsh out, Amanda Curtis in  (Read 9643 times)
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« on: July 24, 2014, 11:33:09 AM »

Who cares about plagiarism?

Montana isn't Germany.
Seriously, that will last 1week, and after, nothing more.

No, it is getting play and Walsh bungled his response.  This is probably fatal although I will wait for polling confirmation.
Why did the NYT have to look into this?
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 08:04:29 PM »

Who cares about plagiarism?

Montana isn't Germany.
Seriously, that will last 1week, and after, nothing more.

No, it is getting play and Walsh bungled his response.  This is probably fatal although I will wait for polling confirmation.
Why did the NYT have to look into this?

Because it raises legitimate questions about Walsh's judgement and character.  Walsh stole a good chunk of his thesis from someone else's work and got a diploma out of it.  I am as bummed about this as any Democrat, but the fact is that this is a legitimate (albeit boring) scandal and the New York Times was simply doing their job by reporting it.  I doubt the red avatars would be calling it a non-story if Daines were the one who did this.  Honestly, Paul (or much more likely someone on his staff) did plagiarize some stuff, but Walsh's was objectively much worse as far as such things go.  I know some of my fellow Dems don't want hear that, but we've got to be objective about these things and politics in general.  Otherwise you'll slowly lose the ability to analyze politics objectively at all and end up like the tea-party (i.e. convinced politicians would win everywhere if only they'd grow a pair and ignore everyone except the activist of your ideological stripe; and then always be shocked when candidates who only try to appeal to people like you lose).  It is a slippery slope once you start throwing objectivity out the window on even minor things in politics.
You're absolutely right, it's just a bummer that this had to happen when he was closing in the polls.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies