Why do quite many homosexuals vote Republican? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 05:00:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why do quite many homosexuals vote Republican? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why do quite many homosexuals vote Republican?  (Read 10658 times)
xavier110
United States
« on: July 30, 2012, 11:12:10 PM »
« edited: July 30, 2012, 11:14:47 PM by xavier110 »

They're usually the most insufferable people I've ever encountered... and oddly enough, from my experiences, they typically aren't rich.
xavier110
United States
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 01:53:58 PM »
« Edited: August 01, 2012, 01:56:01 PM by xavier110 »

They're usually the most insufferable people I've ever encountered... and oddly enough, from my experiences, they typically aren't rich.

It takes extreme self-confidence to find yourself at odds with 75% of gays and 75% of your party, thinking the former are deluded and part of the herd and the latter are fools whose bigotry is being used to serve your cause. You don't have to be arrogant to be a gay Republican, but for many, it really helps. They find themselves on the defensive all the time so the wall comes up.

Yes. As a gay man, I tend to sense that they use their homosexuality as a bludgeon to distance themselves from others (to stand out, oddly a separatist/not conservative position), and because of this desire to stand out, to be different, they have to embrace conservative positions for the attention. Now obviously, not all gay Republicans are just Republicans for the sake of being different, but there's a very particular strain of gay conservative that is like this, and I (and all my gay friends) despise them. They are awful, awful people. They need to grow up.
xavier110
United States
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 02:50:45 PM »

Yes. As a gay man, I tend to sense that they use their homosexuality as a bludgeon to distance themselves from others (to stand out, oddly a separatist/not conservative position), and because of this desire to stand out, to be different, they have to embrace conservative positions for the attention.

Hrm. I can't say I've met any who are Republican to be contrarian. Usually I think they're guys who would have unquestionably been Republican if they weren't gay, but since they are gay, they try to make it work and it means having to explain themselves a lot to both sides to the point where they're just over it and end up being defensive.

I wouldn't say these guys would ever admit to being Republican for the sake of being contrarian, but their approach to their sexuality usually goes hand-in-hand with their conservatism.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies