Charles Djou
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 09:46:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Charles Djou
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Charles Djou  (Read 917 times)
PAK Man

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 14, 2016, 08:24:07 PM »

Does Charles Djou still have a career in politics, or do you think his latest loss was the final straw in his seemingly annual quest to seek a return to office? He has consistently run for office in every election cycle since 2010.

2010 - Won special election for Hawaii's 1st District. Lost in the general to Colleen Hanabusa.
2012 - Challenged Hanabusa to a rematch and actually came fairly close to defeating her, but still lost.
2014 - Ran for HI-01 again following Hanabusa's retirement and lost a narrow race to Mark Takai.
2016 - Ran for Mayor of Honolulu and lost the runoff to Kirk Caldwell by four points.

Do you think he'll keep trying, or was his latest loss enough for him to throw in the towel for good? He's pretty much the only Republican who can even compete in Hawaii (a state that just had its last Republican state senator lose reelection). But he narrowly loses each time, and only won the first time because everybody ran on the same ballot (Ed Case and Hanabusa split the vote).
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 08:29:01 PM »

Maybe he can make it into the State Senate?
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 08:31:08 PM »

I think he'll probably take at least a 4 year break from politics - this latest loss for Mayor was a big blow, and he had no business losing it. I'm sure he could fairly easily get a Honolulu Council or State House seat back, but I'm not sure if he wants to go back to that.

If he wanted to carpetbag to California , I'm sure he wouldn't have much problem getting elected to Congress from there, but as for Hawaii, it's a bit of a no-go for Republicans right now.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 08:38:48 PM »

Hawaii Democrats now have all 25 seats in the state Senate despite trending hard for Trump.
mencken
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 08:41:29 PM »

One more quixotic effort and he might have to change his name to Herro Stassen.

I am soooo getting death points for this.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 07:11:36 PM »

This was his last chance to run before being labelled a perennial candidate, IMO.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 07:50:54 PM »

If he got funding, he could run for governor MAYBE, but Hawaii is utterly gone for Republicans.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 11:29:15 PM »

Hawaii Democrats now have all 25 seats in the state Senate despite trending hard for Trump.

"Trended towards Trump" is misleading. More like "Reverted to normal after not having Obama on the ticket"

But on topic, Charles Djou pretty much *is* the Republican bench in Hawaii. But I think he's done.
mds32
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2016, 10:50:52 AM »

Charles Djou should take a few years off. The HI GOP is better off allocating resources to trying to pick off a state house seat every year or so.

The fact that they are down to a measly 6 state house seats shows that federal/statewide offices should not even be on their priority list right now. Getting a Senator or two would be good. I always thought that the Rhode Island GOP would be far worse off but the Hawaii GOP has proven me wrong.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2016, 05:15:12 PM »

Charles Djou should take a few years off. The HI GOP is better off allocating resources to trying to pick off a state house seat every year or so.

The fact that they are down to a measly 6 state house seats shows that federal/statewide offices should not even be on their priority list right now. Getting a Senator or two would be good. I always thought that the Rhode Island GOP would be far worse off but the Hawaii GOP has proven me wrong.

well Hawaii Democrats pretty much co-opted the GOP by being the center left and the center right party.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies