SCRANTON RUNS OUT OF MONEY, Cuts All City Salaries To Minimum Wage (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 04:09:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SCRANTON RUNS OUT OF MONEY, Cuts All City Salaries To Minimum Wage (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SCRANTON RUNS OUT OF MONEY, Cuts All City Salaries To Minimum Wage  (Read 1893 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: July 10, 2012, 07:06:46 PM »

What's going on there is that the mayor and the council can't agree on how to fix their broken budget.  The mayor wants to raise taxes and the council wants to borrow more money despite the fact that their finances are such that no one wants to lend them money.  The city would like to enter Chapter 9 Bankruptcy to cut costs, but the State government won't let them.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 08:23:29 PM »

I also noted this and found it amusing that krazen ignored it.

To be fair, the mayor probably doesn't want to raise taxes, but since the idiots in Harrisburg won't let Scranton declare bankruptcy, it's the only viable option left.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 06:28:45 PM »

To be fair, the rest of the pay is "deferred" until the city has the money to pay it.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 10:15:14 AM »

I hadn't realize that a chartered city requires state approval to declare bankruptcy.

Under federal law, it does!

http://www.uchastings.edu/public-law/plri/fal95tex/muniban.html

Oh, since I remember 1964, the irony is delicious.

Okay, I'll bite.  In what way is 1964 relevant to this?   Neither your link, nor a quick google provided anything relevant.  Even if you had a typo and meant 1994 as in the 1994 Bankruptcy Reform Act, I fail to see the irony as State approval was required before then, and the 1994 Act only clarified and narrowed what constituted State approval.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 01:20:45 PM »

Ernest,

Not surprised you fail to understand.

Bill Scranton, was a 1964 nominal Republican, who we noted was morally bankrupt.

Not surprising that a city which bears his name (well, actually I believe his grandfather's name) is financially bankrupt.

If you ever mentioned him before, it wasn't in this thread.  Other than he opposed Goldwater for the nomination in 1964, I don't see why you might think he was morally bankrupt.  BTW, the city was named for his grandfather's second cousins who founded the Lackawanna Steel Company.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies