NSA reform bill goes down in flames (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:00:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  NSA reform bill goes down in flames (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NSA reform bill goes down in flames  (Read 1267 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

« on: November 18, 2014, 10:25:31 PM »

I would have gladly traded Keystone for this one...

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/11/mitch-mcconnell-rand-paul-nsa-bill-112984.html?hp=c1_3
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 10:36:24 PM »

The bill would've postponed the Patriot Act's sunset date by two years, so it's probably a good thing it was defeated (though many opponents obviously had different motivations).

The problem is now the next Senate is going to deal with it and they're going to be even more pro-NSA/Patriot Act.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 10:03:48 AM »

I highly doubt Rand voted against this because of cowardice. Ted Cruz voted in favor so it's not like he would be attacked for it.

Rand voted against it supposedly because it didn't go far enough.
Which is of course a load of bull. He did that because he doesn't want to get attacked in the Republican primary as being "soft on terrorism".
Except that, a) Ted Cruz voted in favor of the bill (did you even read my post?), and b) as I've already pointed out, this bill would extend the Patriot Act's expiration date by several years but would supposedly protect civil liberties by "hiring privacy advocates." That clearly isn't a worthwhile trade-off to anyone who cares more about civil liberties than making it seem like Democrats actually give a sh**t about the government spying on people.

Also, this disingenuous bill was opposed in the House by Justin Amash, so unless you think him and Rand Paul are part of a libertarian conspiracy to support government surveillance, there are clearly principled anti-surveillance reasons for opposing this.

a) EFF supported the bill. I suppose they're disingenuous about privacy and only care about marketing? b) If the Patriot Act isn't extended anyway feel free to pip me on this a year from now
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 10:20:03 AM »

Also, even if the Patriot Act does expire, the NSA still can use its authority indefinitely under "existing investigations", some of which are general in nature.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies