Libertarian Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 06:47:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Libertarian Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Libertarian Thread  (Read 1301 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« on: April 02, 2007, 12:20:50 PM »

I consider myself a social libertarian. 

I am pro-choice (though we need to step up our efforts on pregnancy prevention, help to single mothers who are abandoned by the baby's fathers, adoption as an alternative).

Anti-death penalty
Pro-legalization of prostitution
Pro-legalization of some drugs
Liberalization of alcohol laws (lower the legal drinking age to 18, allow sale of alcohol without liquor license, repeal laws about drinking in public, etc.)

I also believe that freedom of speech means freedom of speech.  As long as you are not threatening someone or saying things that can cause harm (verbal abuse), you should have the right to say what you want to say.  I think the idea of laws against "curse words" are ridiculous, especially since the people that made those laws probably don't even know the origins of our curse words.

On economic issues, however, I am not libertarian in the "OMG... the Free Market will make everything better" way.  I am libertarian in that I believe everyone truly deserves the chance to make themselves successful, and that relies on four basic things:

1)  The inherent RIGHT to a quality education.

2)  The RIGHT to quality health care.

3)  The ability to move your ideas/services/products to the market on an efficient network of infrastructure.

4)  The right to do all of this in a clean environment in a sustainable way.

This truly levels the playing field for everyone rather than letting rich peoples' kids go to the best schools, have the best health care, the best modes of transport, and the best environment so they have the best chances at succeeding themselves.

Sure, we're all born and we're all equal to begin with... but you can't believe that free-market Capitalism will give everyone a level playing field to make themselves successful and still call yourself a Libertarian.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies