Opinion of Margaret Thatcher (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 11:07:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Margaret Thatcher (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Well?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 88

Author Topic: Opinion of Margaret Thatcher  (Read 10771 times)
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« on: April 08, 2013, 12:40:51 PM »

FF. Though I expect the HP rate to reach 65%.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 03:11:20 PM »

Her attitude in that war was exactly the same, and had the same motivations, as the Argentine junta. She was just more successful at their game.

Can you please elaborate?
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 03:20:24 PM »

Her attitude in that war was exactly the same, and had the same motivations, as the Argentine junta. She was just more successful at their game.

"Acting tough" in order to impress her population, regain popularity at a time of massive opposition, and retain power. At the cost of human lives.

Don't you mean, "showing backbone", when a military dictatorship invades sovereign British territory?
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 03:41:54 PM »

"Acting tough" in order to impress her population, regain popularity at a time of massive opposition, and retain power. At the cost of human lives.

Don't you mean, "showing backbone", when a military dictatorship invades sovereign British territory?

Yes, Argentina took the first step, but Thatcher needlessly escalated the conflict to make it a full fledged war.

She did what it took to win, you mean.

Negotiations could easily have settled the issue without having to spill blood over a useless and almost empty little f**king island.

I'm sure the British citizens resident on the Falklands don't think it's an 'almost empty little f**king island'. How silly.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 03:49:32 PM »

Yes, Argentina took the first step, but Thatcher needlessly escalated the conflict to make it a full fledged war.

She did what it took to win, you mean.

Negotiations could easily have settled the issue without having to spill blood over a useless and almost empty little f**king island.

I'm sure the British citizens resident on the Falklands don't think it's an 'almost empty little f**king island'. How silly.

I'd rather have 2000 people displaced than 1000 people killed. How silly.

Well that's a very French attitude. If I may say so myself.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 03:58:36 PM »

In my opinion- the Falklands War was one of the clearest examples in which a military response is justified... a British territory with British residents was invaded by a foreign country. It is universally recognized as a proper justification for war

Thank you!
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 10:27:13 AM »

Like this guy:

Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 03:35:46 PM »

I can't say very much good for her. Going back to when she was Education Secretary and ended free milk in schools. That's about as cold as you can get. Sure, she protected the Falklands and that was a good thing, but you weigh one good thing against hundreds of other horrible things. I have no doubts that Callaghan, Foot, Kinnock, Jenkins, Owen and Steel ALL would have been (in Callaghan's case were) better than she was.

In 1968, the Labour government abolished school milk for secondary schools, so, this isn't just a 'spiteful Tory' issue.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 06:12:09 PM »

Aaaah, Godwin's Law strikes back!

For your info, Mr. Silly Stache was not elected to power, he was appointed to head a government based on emergency presidential powers. You can also say Franz von Papen was "elected" Roll Eyes

Ah damn. Tongue

I really should have remembered that as it's Weimar history 101, and, I took a module on it only last term. Bit embarrassing.

For the argument though. Let it stand, aha.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies