Scott Walker: Delegates should be able to vote how they want at RNC (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 05:24:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Scott Walker: Delegates should be able to vote how they want at RNC (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Scott Walker: Delegates should be able to vote how they want at RNC  (Read 1127 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: June 22, 2016, 01:08:30 AM »

I don't see this as breaking with party leadership.  Paul Ryan, for example, has basically said that he doesn't care if the delegates decide to "go nuclear" or not:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jun/19/paul-ryan-donald-trump-republican-convention
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 01:23:29 AM »

You can't just change the rules because you don't like him... you have to beat him.  There's still time but Republicans have to stop being wimps with this "I support the nominee of the party" crap.  Come out in unison against Trump and bully him out of the race.

I don't see how your first two sentences work together.  Either the voting in the primaries should determine the nominee or it shouldn't.  If it should, then it is already too late, and there isn't still time.  Trump has already won.  If it shouldn't, then they'll have a vote at the convention, to see if they want to nominate Trump or not.  If the majority there don't want him, and they vote against him, then they're not being wimps, saying that they "support the nominee".  They're actually going way out on a limb by rejecting him.  So which is it?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 02:20:02 AM »

You can't just change the rules because you don't like him... you have to beat him.  There's still time but Republicans have to stop being wimps with this "I support the nominee of the party" crap.  Come out in unison against Trump and bully him out of the race.

I don't see how your first two sentences work together.  Either the voting in the primaries should determine the nominee or it shouldn't.  If it should, then it is already too late, and there isn't still time.  Trump has already won.  If it shouldn't, then they'll have a vote at the convention, to see if they want to nominate Trump or not.  If the majority there don't want him, and they vote against him, then they're not being wimps, saying that they "support the nominee".  They're actually going way out on a limb by rejecting him.  So which is it?

Your whole post makes no sense.  If the GOP wants to defeat Trump and eradicate him from the party then they should all be doing what Mitt Romney is doing.  Treat him like a bacterial infection they desperately need to get rid of rather than accepting their ugliness.

What?  I don’t understand.  There is no “the GOP”.  There are individual leaders and individual delegates, all with different opinions on Trump.  Some of them are doing what Mitt Romney is doing, by saying they won’t support Trump in the general election, while others aren’t.  Some are trying to change the rules at the convention so that someone other than Trump is nominated, and others aren’t.

But anyway, you didn’t answer my question.  In your earlier post, you said “You can't just change the rules because you don't like him.”  What does that mean?  That they shouldn’t change the rules, because it would be unfair?  If they don’t change the rules, then Trump is the nominee.  But then in the next sentence you say that there’s still time to beat him.  You can only beat him for the nomination by changing the rules.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 02:55:42 AM »

Just go back to the smoke-filled room already. Otherwise, since you allowed Trump to happen, deal with the consequences.

I'm all in favor of going back to the smoke-filled room.  Deciding nominations by primaries is kind of a failed experiment, IMHO.  However, if the Republicans actually want to do that, then it would make more sense to do it in 2020.  Doing so in 2016, after the primaries have already been held...seems problematic.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 06:13:53 AM »

What does it say to GOP primary voter that their votes can be negated by a vote of national convention delegates?

I don't know what it says, but it's a fact.  Same is true of the Dems.  The delegates could vote to throw out the existing rules and replace them with new ones if they really wanted to.  I don't think they will, but they could if they really wanted to.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies