FDR supported personal Social Security accounts
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 08:37:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  FDR supported personal Social Security accounts
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: FDR supported personal Social Security accounts  (Read 878 times)
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 05, 2005, 07:36:14 PM »

In an address to Congress on January 17, 1935, President Roosevelt foresaw the need to move beyond the pay-as-you-go financing of the current Social Security system. "For perhaps 30 years to come funds will have to be provided by the States and the Federal Government to meet these pensions," the president allowed.

But after that, he explained, it would be necessary to move to what he called "voluntary contributory annuities by which individual initiative can increase the annual amounts received in old age."

In other words, his call for the establishment of Social Security directly anticipated today's reform agenda: "It is proposed that the Federal Government assume one-half of the cost of the old-age pension plan, which ought ultimately to be supplanted by self-supporting annuity plans," FDR explained.

---

So we're only about 40 years late in addressing his concerns on how make Social Security solvent.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2005, 07:53:24 PM »

It is odd how Republicans hate FDR and the New Deal, turn around and insult it, and say FDR's views are outdated, and then quote him on something like this.

Of course, it either must be totally right or totally wrong. Because politics is all about all or nothing.
Cashcow

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2005, 08:02:13 PM »

But it's FDR, so he's automatically wrong... right?

What's with the avatar change? You couldn't have moved that quickly.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2005, 08:21:37 PM »

Of course I haven't actually moved yet, and I'm not sure were moving to Tennessee either. I was just in the mood for a change, and since Tennessee is the most likely place, I changed early.

Back on topic, this is great. Anything the Democrats say about Bush is true of FDR.

It's a whole new way of looking at the liberal attacks. Moveon.org is bashing FDR on Social Security.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2005, 08:24:17 PM »

Of course I haven't actually moved yet, and I'm not sure were moving to Tennessee either. I was just in the mood for a change, and since Tennessee is the most likely place, I changed early.

Back on topic, this is great. Anything the Democrats say about Bush is true of FDR.

It's a whole new way of looking at the liberal attacks. Moveon.org is bashing FDR on Social Security.

I do not track social security much, but what FDR said was said in the 1940's. Anyone who has the same economic policy as they did in 1941 is asking for trouble.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2005, 08:30:30 PM »

If personal accounts were good in 1941, they're definitely good now that Social Security is going bankrupt.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2005, 08:31:32 PM »

FDR was wrong.  Period.  He was wrong about creating Social Security.  HOWEVER, when you're going against people who adore FDR, you may as well quote FDR to them.

Now quit bickering over how it is unfair that Republicans are quoting FDR and start making an argument against FDR.
went that way
Rookie

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2005, 08:15:19 AM »

If personal accounts were good in 1941, they're definitely good now that Social Security is going bankrupt.
Prizatizing Social Security won't work it's already been tried in I think  Britian and it Failed.
I'm not sure FDR knew alot about Social Security either.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2005, 12:05:54 PM »

It's been tried in Chile and succeeded. And in a far more radical form than we're talking about.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies