What is your current ignore list?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 03:01:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What is your current ignore list?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Author Topic: What is your current ignore list?  (Read 8673 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: September 26, 2014, 06:58:31 PM »

Given that you're on his ignore list, I don't know why you bothered responding to Dead0man's post.

What the hell would I be overcompensating for and how would a long ignore list be compensation for anything?  I guess don't understand that attempted insult.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #76 on: September 26, 2014, 07:06:54 PM »

Fun fact: One little known mod power allows moderators to see what other users have them on ignore.  I'm therefore able to ascertain that just one poster has me on ignore……the long-departed Hillary2012.

Which is a bit ironic, since I sort of came to his defense on the posting of fake polls.

We can? How do we do that?

For me, I go here:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?action=profile;u=1206;sa=ignprefs;board=91

Change the "1206" to your own user number (I guess it's 71 for you), and change "91" to the number for one of the boards you moderate (such as 62 for Religion and Philosophy).

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #77 on: September 26, 2014, 07:18:12 PM »

Whoops, must've accidentally put you on ignore Tongue  Fixed Smiley
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #78 on: September 26, 2014, 07:27:53 PM »

Surprised to find myself here.  Can't think of anything I would've ever done to piss him off.  Probably agree with him on 99% of issues.  

My sense is that you are markedly to my left on a number of issues, but that's not relevant. I wouldn't intentionally ignore someone over political differences. And I rarely get offended over posts, so pissing me off isn't a concern either.

If you're curious, you are on my ignore list because your posts are frequently detrimental to discussion. You act hostile toward people with beliefs that differ from your own and rarely show interest in learning why your beliefs diverge. You frequently slander broad groups with little apparent justification.

Here's a good example from the first page of your recent posts:

Do conservatives understand just how evil they are? 

I feel a bit silly typing this after telling Train that he takes forum dialogue more seriously than I do, but you deserve a frank answer. You seem like a nice enough person, I'm just not a fan of your posting style.

As long as you recognize that it's a style, fair enough.
Arturo Belano

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.43

« Reply #79 on: September 26, 2014, 08:38:38 PM »

Nobody is on my ignore list.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #80 on: September 26, 2014, 09:03:38 PM »

Surprised to find myself here.  Can't think of anything I would've ever done to piss him off.  Probably agree with him on 99% of issues. 

I won't speak for Averroes, because he already did, but agreement on the issues often has little to do with it.  The four remaining people on my own ignore list are all Democrats (although in Tweed's case, who even knows/cares any more).  You and I also agree on most issues it would appear, and although you're not yet on my ignore list, it's been sorely tempting.  Here's just my two cents; you are irritatingly immature, and your schtick is a cheap knock-off of Lief's.

I don't put people ignore. That sort of goes against the point of this forum.

Again, there's ignoring somebody for their political opinions, and then there's ignoring them for being stupid or ridiculous (and not in a fun way).  Don't assume it's always the former reason.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #81 on: September 26, 2014, 09:22:21 PM »

If you're curious, you are on my ignore list because your posts are frequently detrimental to discussion. You act hostile toward people with beliefs that differ from your own and rarely show interest in learning why your beliefs diverge. You frequently slander broad groups with little apparent justification.

Real curious right now as to what I posted to meet these criteria and get on your list Huh
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #82 on: September 26, 2014, 09:24:37 PM »
« Edited: September 26, 2014, 09:27:54 PM by HockeyDude »

Surprised to find myself here.  Can't think of anything I would've ever done to piss him off.  Probably agree with him on 99% of issues.  

I won't speak for Averroes, because he already did, but agreement on the issues often has little to do with it.  The four remaining people on my own ignore list are all Democrats (although in Tweed's case, who even knows/cares any more).  You and I also agree on most issues it would appear, and although you're not yet on my ignore list, it's been sorely tempting.  Here's just my two cents; you are irritatingly immature, and your schtick is a cheap knock-off of Lief's opebo's.

I don't put people ignore. That sort of goes against the point of this forum.

Again, there's ignoring somebody for their political opinions, and then there's ignoring them for being stupid or ridiculous (and not in a fun way).  Don't assume it's always the former reason.

ftfy.  Plus, Lief doesn't even like hockey. 

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #83 on: September 26, 2014, 09:44:31 PM »

Here's just my two cents; you are irritatingly immature, and your schtick is a cheap knock-off of Lief's opebo's.

ftfy.

You wish.  Lief's schtick is already a cheap knock-off of Opebo's.  Which would make yours virtually free by comparison.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #84 on: September 26, 2014, 10:02:17 PM »

I actually see some value in these threads. It's a chance for posters (A) to see whether they have irritated someone enough to end up on his or her ignore list and (B) to get feedback on whether anyone on their ignore list is worth reading or has become worth reading.

Why is that so problematic? I understand the concerns that some of you have, but do they really outweigh the value of never accidentally reading a post from Aggregate Demand or Pbrower?

Even bad posters can have flashes of insight, or at least spur interesting conversation from time to time.  And it's not that hard to just scroll past.  The "value" you speak of is of negative value to me.

Most of your ignore list is at least tolerable, and there's probably about a half-dozen folks on there who are legitimately high-quality posters whose banishment to your Outer Wastes utterly boggles my mind.

On one hand, I'd list folks... on the other hand, what the hell is the point?  If someone is as ignore-happy as you seem to be, it's clear we have a fundamental disagreement as to what it means to be a forum member, and I'm not sure there's any way to bridge that divide.

It's disappointing, especially coming from someone like you that I generally respect(ed).

I think you take this more seriously than I do. That might sound like an insult, but it's not meant as one. For me, the forum is a place of entertainment first and one of education second. I learn here, but the Atlas Forum is not where I go to learn. I'm not running a blue-ribbon panel. If someone irritates me, I am under no obligation to engage with them.

Maybe I'm missing an occasional insight from the dozen or so active posters on my ignore list, but using a filter saves me time. If someone I ignore makes an interesting point, it usually prompts further discussion. Yes, I could skim past those posts, but I find it easier to dispense with them altogether. Between books, blogs, and journal articles, I don't have enough time to read everything that I want to read, so I prioritize.

Furthermore - and probably more importantly - I don't want to waste my time on pointless arguments with willfully ignorant posters. If I don't even see their posts, I'm not tempted to respond. Even if I read their posts anyway, the "show post" button functions like a big flashing sign reminding me not to get worked up.

If I'm missing quality posts, by all means, let me know. Except for Storebought, I'm skeptical.

I don't really think of Atlas as "educational", TBF- while I do think it's edifying to interact with folks who have wildly divergent views, priors, and/or attitudes (and I guess I do take that seriously as a general principle), I'd actually agree with classifying this place as "entertainment" more than anything else, and I do get my serious news elsewhere for the most part.  Perhaps I actually take certain forms of ignorance and irritation less seriously, insofar as just for example I don't really find it any burden to just scroll past, say just for example, Messrs. Arrogant and Catdrugs without there being much of a threat of getting worked up.

Anyway, I see you unignored Clarko, and that's good because he was probably the single most baffling entry on your list- I can't for the life of me imagine why anyone would feel the need to ignore him.  I'd also give Storebought, IceSpear, IndyTexas, and ChairmanSanchez another chance.  I've never seen anything egregiously bad from Storebought, and the other three have said some dumb things in the past but are on balance certainly worthwhile these days.  There are other folks you have on ignore who are pretty damn anodyne but those probably have the highest signal/noise ratio.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #85 on: September 26, 2014, 10:46:56 PM »

I actually see some value in these threads. It's a chance for posters (A) to see whether they have irritated someone enough to end up on his or her ignore list and (B) to get feedback on whether anyone on their ignore list is worth reading or has become worth reading.

Why is that so problematic? I understand the concerns that some of you have, but do they really outweigh the value of never accidentally reading a post from Aggregate Demand or Pbrower?

Even bad posters can have flashes of insight, or at least spur interesting conversation from time to time.  And it's not that hard to just scroll past.  The "value" you speak of is of negative value to me.

Most of your ignore list is at least tolerable, and there's probably about a half-dozen folks on there who are legitimately high-quality posters whose banishment to your Outer Wastes utterly boggles my mind.

On one hand, I'd list folks... on the other hand, what the hell is the point?  If someone is as ignore-happy as you seem to be, it's clear we have a fundamental disagreement as to what it means to be a forum member, and I'm not sure there's any way to bridge that divide.

It's disappointing, especially coming from someone like you that I generally respect(ed).

I think you take this more seriously than I do. That might sound like an insult, but it's not meant as one. For me, the forum is a place of entertainment first and one of education second. I learn here, but the Atlas Forum is not where I go to learn. I'm not running a blue-ribbon panel. If someone irritates me, I am under no obligation to engage with them.

Maybe I'm missing an occasional insight from the dozen or so active posters on my ignore list, but using a filter saves me time. If someone I ignore makes an interesting point, it usually prompts further discussion. Yes, I could skim past those posts, but I find it easier to dispense with them altogether. Between books, blogs, and journal articles, I don't have enough time to read everything that I want to read, so I prioritize.

Furthermore - and probably more importantly - I don't want to waste my time on pointless arguments with willfully ignorant posters. If I don't even see their posts, I'm not tempted to respond. Even if I read their posts anyway, the "show post" button functions like a big flashing sign reminding me not to get worked up.

If I'm missing quality posts, by all means, let me know. Except for Storebought, I'm skeptical.

I don't really think of Atlas as "educational", TBF- while I do think it's edifying to interact with folks who have wildly divergent views, priors, and/or attitudes (and I guess I do take that seriously as a general principle), I'd actually agree with classifying this place as "entertainment" more than anything else, and I do get my serious news elsewhere for the most part.  Perhaps I actually take certain forms of ignorance and irritation less seriously, insofar as just for example I don't really find it any burden to just scroll past, say just for example, Messrs. Arrogant and Catdrugs without there being much of a threat of getting worked up.

Anyway, I see you unignored Clarko, and that's good because he was probably the single most baffling entry on your list- I can't for the life of me imagine why anyone would feel the need to ignore him.  I'd also give Storebought, IceSpear, IndyTexas, and ChairmanSanchez another chance.  I've never seen anything egregiously bad from Storebought, and the other three have said some dumb things in the past but are on balance certainly worthwhile these days.  There are other folks you have on ignore who are pretty damn anodyne but those probably have the highest signal/noise ratio.

And there is all the serious crowd ever needs to know.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #86 on: September 27, 2014, 02:30:35 AM »

I'm pleasantly surprised that I'm not on any ignore lists, given that I don't really contribute anything of worth to this forum.

Anyway, I have no ignore list.
solarstorm
solarstorm2012
United States
« Reply #87 on: September 27, 2014, 02:31:53 AM »

How could you read my post? Tongue
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #88 on: September 27, 2014, 05:57:24 AM »

Dave from Michigan
black and white band photos
Bandit3 the Worker
Politico
OC
BeccaM
Invisible Obama
Jo March Bhaer
Kitteh
ProudModerate2
PJ
barfbag
eric82oslo
TX Conservative Dem
Joshgreen
Potatoe
bronz4141
FreedomHawk
KCDem

All too often I ignore the ignore option, so I probably should just give it up.

Say wah
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #89 on: September 27, 2014, 07:20:09 AM »

None.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #90 on: September 27, 2014, 07:24:24 AM »
« Edited: September 27, 2014, 07:28:25 AM by Uneducated Peon X »

I clicked show because I never intended to put you on ignore and was going to take you off the list even before I saw the post Tongue   Plus, I read everyone's post in ignore list threads for basically the reasons Nix mentioned.  Besides if anyone genuinely wants to know why I have them on ignore, they have every right to have that question answered.  Grumps is a special situation as I've explained several times (he'd be off if I knew how to just ignore sigs), but other than him, Napoleon (with whom I tended to get in pretty nasty fights over minor things enough that we'll probably both enjoy the forum more this way), and maybe Hockeydude (it's more Hockeydude's schtick that I find extremely annoying; whereas Lief's doesn't really bother me and can occasionally be kinda entertaining tbh Tongue ), the rest of my list (IIRC) are either trolls like Snowstalker and Krazen, blatant bigots, or banned posters I haven't gotten around to deleting.  Ignoring people just because of ideological disagreement is gross, IMO.  Even an Oldiesfreak or a Cassius can offer a different ideological perspective (even if it's wrong Wink ) and that's what keeps this place from becoming any one group's personal echo chamber.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #91 on: September 27, 2014, 09:26:26 AM »

given that I don't really contribute anything of worth to this forum.

Is this some passive aggressive false modesty or are you just delusional?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #92 on: September 27, 2014, 10:11:37 AM »

given that I don't really contribute anything of worth to this forum.

Is this some passive aggressive false modesty or are you just delusional?

He's British, so it's the former.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #93 on: September 27, 2014, 10:13:55 AM »

Of those who are actively posting, only Bandit and KCDem. 
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #94 on: September 27, 2014, 10:16:49 AM »

Why are people ignoring pbrower? He's fine and he doesn't do anything, IMO.

Anyway, mine is:

v0031
t_host
DevotedDemocrat (I think he got banned, though)
CountryClassSF
krazen

CTRattlesnake and AggregateDemand are next, but thankfully I haven't seen a CT post in a while. I do kind of agree with BRTD, though, that you may as well just screen these people mentally, but there's something about clicking "Ignore," I think. Tongue
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #95 on: September 27, 2014, 11:29:28 AM »

Good to see I'm not any ignore lists. Hopefully that will stay that way.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #96 on: September 27, 2014, 09:28:54 PM »

what a depressing thread
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #97 on: September 28, 2014, 12:03:58 AM »

I might use ignore more if it also made it so that threads created by that post didn't appear. I remember putting LBJ Revivalist (proto-DevotedDemocrat for the unfamiliar...assuming they weren't the same person) on ignore and being rather frustrated in that it did nothing because he posted virtually nothing but new threads. Also why I never ignored NewYorkExpress.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #98 on: September 28, 2014, 02:59:09 AM »

I might use ignore more if it also made it so that threads created by that post didn't appear. I remember putting LBJ Revivalist (proto-DevotedDemocrat for the unfamiliar...assuming they weren't the same person) on ignore and being rather frustrated in that it did nothing because he posted virtually nothing but new threads. Also why I never ignored NewYorkExpress.

Oh god yes.  You'd go on my ignore list in a heartbeat!

I also wish the same would apply to the Recent Posts board, which I often browse.  Ignored posts just show up anyway there.
Foucaulf
« Reply #99 on: September 28, 2014, 10:41:56 AM »

I have no one on ignore (except for myself, apparently - it doesn't work). Part of it must be I don't feel compelled to post on here, in reaction to posts I disagree with or otherwise. When I do, I also find what I wrote quite boring.

That doesn't mean I don't enjoy reading Atlas. Since I'm skeptical of academic social sciences' usefulness anyway, I'd rather read less blogs and read more the opinions of Atlas users, who are mostly teenagers using politics as a vent or slightly-informed high-income adults. Understanding those two groups matter when predicting the future of things.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies