John Edwards (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 04:15:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  John Edwards (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: John Edwards  (Read 3072 times)
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« on: September 16, 2019, 09:50:36 PM »

In an alternate universe where he never had his scandal, I think he could have had the biggest landslide of the 2008 candidates. Definitely the odd man out of his time. Populism was as dead in the immediate aftermath of 9/11 as neoconservatism is today.

But in 2020? Sure, Democrats are trying really hard to seem folksy now, but it's paired with the Kerry kind of smug cosmopolitanism that ultimately takes precedence. I just don't see him fitting in with the modern party.
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 09:11:51 AM »
« Edited: September 17, 2019, 09:17:26 AM by Anarcho-Statism »

In an alternate universe where he never had his scandal, I think he could have had the biggest landslide of the 2008 candidates. Definitely the odd man out of his time. Populism was as dead in the immediate aftermath of 9/11 as neoconservatism is today.

But in 2020? Sure, Democrats are trying really hard to seem folksy now, but it's paired with the Kerry kind of smug cosmopolitanism that ultimately takes precedence. I just don't see him fitting in with the modern party.

That's what's interesting about Warren -- she is like the personification of that weird mix of "folksiness" and "cosmopolitanism" that defines the Democratic Party today. How could you do that better than being born and raised in Oklahoma yet representing Massachusetts, being a populist on the one hand and someone palatable to party elites on the other? I don't think you could create an individual who better epitomizes the word "Democrat" today in a lab if you tried. Which is part of why I suspect she'll ultimately get the nomination. She's just closer to where the party is at right now than anyone else.

You know, I don't think the folksiness part is very genuine, because it's always this awkward, shaky, "I-I will go grab a beer" or something like that. Which is alright, I'm not very folksy either. I'm sure voters don't mind. I'm sure she connects with working class Democrats because her policies seem to be geared toward them, and I'm aware that she was financially struggling as a kid. No arguments there. What seems to be of-the-people to one person might be different for another. But what really gets me is the fact that I, a Mexican-American and descendent of Moctezuma himself, am struggling to pay for my education while this old, privileged white woman got in pretending to be brown. It may not bother white people. I get how that could be overlooked. But what do I know? You're the boss, mighty whitey. Please, reply with the usual copy-paste "go to a mental health clinic" thing you post on every thread to people you disagree with (which, by the way, is very ableist). I'll totally excuse her behavior and won't let it affect my perception of her character at all.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies