Does it seem like the #NeverTrump movement may be working?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 08:36:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Does it seem like the #NeverTrump movement may be working?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: skip
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 63

Author Topic: Does it seem like the #NeverTrump movement may be working?  (Read 873 times)
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 07, 2016, 06:49:25 PM »
« edited: March 07, 2016, 06:52:42 PM by #TheShadowyAbyss »

Seems like Kasich supporters may back Rubio here in Florida and Rubio supporters may tactically back Kasich in Ohio and others are backing Cruz elsewhere.

Trump was supposed to dominate Louisiana, Maine, Kentucky with ease and come within striking distance of Cruz in Kansas, instead Cruz easily won Maine and Kansas and kept Trump on edge with Kentucky and Louisiana and walked away with more delegates
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 06:50:17 PM »

I say gradually so. I don't think he's running away with things like he once was.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 06:51:58 PM »

Romney's idea was genius, but it will not fell the TRUMP.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 06:52:49 PM »

Hesitant yes because of the results over the weekend, but we'll know for sure on the 15th.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 07:11:14 PM »

I think there is a cumulative effect:
- the Duke interview fallout
- the juvenile antics on the campaign trail
- the debate with d-ck jokes
- the Romney speech/media tour
- ramped up anti-Trump Super PAC advertising
...and the #NeverTrump movement

That was all over a 1 week period and it made him underperform over the weekend. Was this a short blip or the beginning of a slide that leads to him losing multiple states next week?

1 thing that I think has happened is that after Christie and Sessions endorsed Trump there was a belief that it would begin a wave of endorsements. But that seems to have stopped entirely. I believe (I have no evidence) that the big money people in the party are saying that endorsers go on the s--t list.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 07:13:04 PM »

That was all over a 1 week period and it made him underperform over the weekend. Was this a short blip or the beginning of a slide that leads to him losing multiple states next week?

1 thing that I think has happened is that after Christie and Sessions endorsed Trump there was a belief that it would begin a wave of endorsements. But that seems to have stopped entirely. I believe (I have no evidence) that the big money people in the party are saying that endorsers go on the s--t list.

I think it starting to hurt, but it needed to happen a lot sooner.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 07:13:45 PM »

I think Rubio's campaign is just falling apart.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 07:15:09 PM »

I think Rubio's campaign is just falling apart.

There is that too.  Rubio's declining, and his support is going to Cruz and Kasich, not Trump.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 07:26:49 PM »

Its too soon to say if Cruz's(and Kasich's) surge is due to tactical voting, or just Rubio's collapse + Cruz and Kasich doing well in the last debate.  I'm pretty sure widespread tactical voting like this is unprecedented in the United States.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2016, 07:29:29 PM »

I'm pretty sure widespread tactical voting like this is unprecedented in the United States.

If Winfield was here, he'd tell you that Mitt Romney is an unprecedented man.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2016, 07:54:27 PM »

I can't think of a situation where "tactical voting" ever worked.  People cast "tactical" ballots in primaries all the time.  I voted for Santorum over Ron Paul in Florida in 2012 because he had a better chance of beating Mitt Romney there, or at least press him, and because I viewed him as the most genuine pro-lifer, but to get people to do the enemy of my enemy thing widespread is not likely.

The way these things used to work was by Favorite Son candidacies.  Popular Governors and Senators used to run candidacies in their states and would win the primary and control their delegation, and given the way this year is shaping up, it's not too late for that in some places.  A lot of folks don't like Trump, but they don't like the other candidates either, and they don't like Mitt Romney.  If folks really want to stop Trump, that may be the way to do it.

Truthfully, the reason Trump is hard to stop is because the average Republican is far more in agreement with Trump than with what we have been told a "Republican" is supposed to be, both by the Establishment and by the Movement Conservatives.  I don't know if either party has been so out of touch with its rank and file as today's GOP is now.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2016, 11:06:22 PM »

I can't think of a situation where "tactical voting" ever worked.  People cast "tactical" ballots in primaries all the time.  I voted for Santorum over Ron Paul in Florida in 2012 because he had a better chance of beating Mitt Romney there, or at least press him, and because I viewed him as the most genuine pro-lifer, but to get people to do the enemy of my enemy thing widespread is not likely.

The way these things used to work was by Favorite Son candidacies.  Popular Governors and Senators used to run candidacies in their states and would win the primary and control their delegation, and given the way this year is shaping up, it's not too late for that in some places.  A lot of folks don't like Trump, but they don't like the other candidates either, and they don't like Mitt Romney.  If folks really want to stop Trump, that may be the way to do it.

Truthfully, the reason Trump is hard to stop is because the average Republican is far more in agreement with Trump than with what we have been told a "Republican" is supposed to be, both by the Establishment and by the Movement Conservatives.  I don't know if either party has been so out of touch with its rank and file as today's GOP is now.

Wasn't Newt Romney's main opponent in Florida?
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2016, 06:00:25 AM »

Two words.

Trump University.

This was pure poison straight out of Megyn Kelly's mouth.

He should settle. Idiot if he doesn't.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2016, 06:10:09 AM »

The barrage of attacks against TRUMP drew some blood. It might be too little, too late, especially in Florida.
But if they anti-TRUMP forces defeat their nemesis at Ohio and Illinois then we are going full speed ahead to a contested convention.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2016, 09:04:00 AM »

Honestly I think basically every election involves massive tactical voting. It's the natural consequence of determining the winner by a plurality of votes with no way to rank preferences. Most voters may not realize they're voting tactically though, in a typical race. So this could be different in that way.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2016, 09:14:09 AM »

I think it starting to hurt, but it needed to happen a lot sooner.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies