If there was a population-based World House of Representatives: how big? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 11:05:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  If there was a population-based World House of Representatives: how big? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: If there was a population-based World House of Representatives: how big? (if world has population of 10B)
Less than 10,000 Reps... each Rep representing more than 1 Million people (describe below)

10,000 Reps... each representing 1 Million

Between 10,000 and 1 Million Reps (describe below)

1 Million Reps, each representing 10,000

More than 1 Million Reps, each representing less than 10,000 people (describe below)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 35

Author Topic: If there was a population-based World House of Representatives: how big?  (Read 1252 times)
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« on: November 07, 2017, 02:48:28 PM »

It should be 0 - no world government. Please

This of course, but that ruins the thread, does it not? Tongue

10,000 is probably close to too much, if you literally think about getting all of these people in one place. Although, I suppose that might not be necessary in modern times? Also, if all of these members will need to be paid a full-time salary, that would cost several hundred million in and of itself (well over a billion if we pay them a similar amount as US representatives--money that, while admittedly dwarfed by government expenses generally, would make a tangible difference put to other goals).

When it comes to legislature size, on one hand I like a larger number since it means more chance for a variety of views to be represented (I mean, in the US it's "nah let's still do FPTP" and you have ~200 people for ideology red and ~200 for ideology blue, yes with a few variants as "token complainers" while most people get locked out of the system--but I'm not derailing the thread with a rant today Smiley) but on the other hand I'm concerned that a larger chamber means it's harder to hold individual people accountable.

Regardless, the thing Crabcake mentioned seems like the best idea.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 04:07:41 PM »

We would definitely need to apply the three-fifths rule to most of the world.

wow so edgy

He's just a troll. I doubt he believes half the garbage he spews on a daily basis.

Oh is he a new poster?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies