Which of the following records will the 2012 election break? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 05:59:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Which of the following records will the 2012 election break? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Which of the following records will the 2012 election break?  (Read 5209 times)
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: May 26, 2012, 08:35:38 AM »

Number of people as a % that actually turnout. The Presidential Election turnout % wise has been up every year since 1992. The Presidential Election nowadays is an event like the Super Bowl!

One thing foreigners tell me about their impression of American presidential elections is what a spectacle they are. Yeah, Europe beats us in turnout, but no election anywhere has the same amount of sheer entertainment and spectacle a US presidential election has. Our campaign season lasts almost an entire year while many European campaigns will last less than a month. And the money both parties spend is unheard of in most other countries. 50-60% of Americans may vote but you can bet that 100% of us are forcibly exposed to the elections whether we like it or not.

Not sure if I'm proud of ashamed of this.
It sure looks like a giant waste of resources to us outsiders. What possible reasons could there be to be proud of it? (honestly curious)
To me the whole point of campaigns is to get people to vote (for your candidate obviously) and given the low US turnout, the extremely long and costly campaigns and all the showmanship involved in them seems almost counterproductive. Would the turnout even be significantly lower with a short euro-style 4 week campaign?
But we need our soap operas...
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 06:55:40 PM »

Number of people as a % that actually turnout. The Presidential Election turnout % wise has been up every year since 1992. The Presidential Election nowadays is an event like the Super Bowl!

One thing foreigners tell me about their impression of American presidential elections is what a spectacle they are. Yeah, Europe beats us in turnout, but no election anywhere has the same amount of sheer entertainment and spectacle a US presidential election has. Our campaign season lasts almost an entire year while many European campaigns will last less than a month. And the money both parties spend is unheard of in most other countries. 50-60% of Americans may vote but you can bet that 100% of us are forcibly exposed to the elections whether we like it or not.

Not sure if I'm proud of ashamed of this.
It sure looks like a giant waste of resources to us outsiders. What possible reasons could there be to be proud of it? (honestly curious)
To me the whole point of campaigns is to get people to vote (for your candidate obviously) and given the low US turnout, the extremely long and costly campaigns and all the showmanship involved in them seems almost counterproductive. Would the turnout even be significantly lower with a short euro-style 4 week campaign?

As you may or may not know, Americans tend to be proud of things people from any other country would be ashamed of. It's the "I'm American f*** you" attitude. For instance, we have an unnatural attachment to inhuman portions of greasy, cholesterol laden foods. A lot of Americans are proud of the amount of people we execute on death row. Remember Rick Perry at the GOP debate last fall? And we subsidize the exorbitant lifestyles of worthless socialites like Kim Kardashian by watching their reality shows and even buying god awful merchandise they slapped their name onto.

And as much as people complain about mud slinging in presidential elections, we can't get enough.

On Kim Kardashian, I'm sick of her. When I am in the check out line at Target or Shoprite I see her face or her sisters face on every magazine.

Your right though I want to eat what I want to eat and I am not obese or fat either from my eating habits!

By the way other countries treat their women like its the 1800's with stuff like Sharia Law. Women can't wear shorts in some countries. I have heard they can't drive a car either in some countries. So don't you think those countries should be ashamed of the way they treat their woman?
...What?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 07:52:42 AM »

Back on topic: most money spent.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies