50 Years Ago Today... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 01:00:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  50 Years Ago Today... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 50 Years Ago Today...  (Read 2153 times)
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« on: January 21, 2011, 06:24:39 AM »

You have redeemed yourself in my eyes (not that you care).  Wink   Not only is this totally non-Moderate Hero, you're speaking the truth about one of the most overrated political figures in American history.

All of the "JFK would be a Republican today!" talk makes me cringe.

You should ask a random sample of Germans who the best U.S. President ever was...I fear you'd get 80% Kennedy or so.

Followed by Clinton, and then probably Obama. Wink
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 06:54:09 AM »

To be fair if you asked Americans who their favourite German Chancellor was...would you even get an answer? So what if Germans pick Kennedy. Why not? Kennedy wasn't in office long enough to f-ck it up. That's why he scores so highly. Besides, in the European sphere the Cuban Missile Crisis was a pretty big deal. It would be dishonest for most people to pick a President they know nothing about, which these days pretty much excludes everyone before Kennedy. Who else are they going to pick - Gerry Ford?

True, but I'm reasonably sure that his popularity has more to do with his death and the events surrounding it. (As stated in the other thread, Germans love conspiracies)

I get the feeling Kennedy wouldn't be viewed much differently than any other Preisdent had he left office under normal circumstances.

You're forgetting about Ich bin ein Berliner.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies