LGC 6.10 - Video Games Ratings Restructuring Act (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 01:00:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  LGC 6.10 - Video Games Ratings Restructuring Act (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: LGC 6.10 - Video Games Ratings Restructuring Act  (Read 977 times)
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« on: July 02, 2022, 07:54:42 PM »

Do we have a regulatory body at the regional level which will be charged with enforcing this?

Video games don't have a direct regulatory body, regionally or federally (the ESRB is not actually an agency), but since we're calling this a form of gambling, it would fall under state gambling agencies where those exist. For instance, New Jersey has a "Legalized Games of Chance Commission" and Maine has a "Gambling Control Board". It could also fall under a state agency to regulate gaming, such as Indiana's "Gaming Commission" or Illinois's "gaming board". Where no agency exists, I guess it falls under some NPC commerce person at the regional level (we haven't had formal regional agencies since the days of the Lincoln Assembly, which is nearly four years ago at this point), though the Governor could create a formal regulatory body for this if needed.

I suppose I am just somewhat concerned about delegating enforcement to those bodies, especially when it might require some significant effort in regulating an area many of these boards have much less experience dealing with, namely the internet and digital platforms. I mean is the Maine Gambling Control Board well equipped to launch an investigation into an international online game to ensure compliance with this regulation and to then further attempt enforcement? It seems like this would be better left to a communication commission which deals with internet regulation, rather than to gambling and gaming commissions which, where they exist, are probably not tooled to regulate at such a scope in this particular area. I'm sure some do regulate online and have some experience with enforcing regulations of this kind, but even in those cases this would surely represent a notable expansion of their duties in that sphere, and would likely be taxing on some of their resources.

While we don't currently have a communications commission, not sure one exists federally either(?). I wouldn't be opposed to allocating some reasonable level of funding to the state agencies in the form of grants. Otherwise, we could try to create a regional communications commission. Whichever sounds easier to you I guess.

FCC exists federally.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies