Survivor megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 02:58:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Survivor megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Survivor megathread  (Read 17251 times)
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: September 24, 2019, 10:03:23 PM »

I came here to reply that while I have not seen survivor since the season Cochran won a unanimous victory, but I like and agree with your take on it being the best game of social politics. It is really interesting
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2019, 06:20:11 PM »

Awful and horrible season, we all know why. Let's all pretend it never happened and move on to season 40.

You should rank all the seasons
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2019, 10:29:15 PM »

Awful and horrible season, we all know why. Let's all pretend it never happened and move on to season 40.

You should rank all the seasons

That's going to be a bit dicey. Think back to seasons 5 and 8, which had equal or worse incidents to the one from this year. Should we adjust and also tank those seasons? And what about all the rampant creepiness and homophobia from the early seasons, including some from people who are still legendary fan favorites?

Yeah i guess it might be hard to give a fair evaluation
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2019, 06:15:18 AM »

Thanks for both of you taking the time to do compile a list of the seasons. Easily the biggest task I ever asked of a atlas member. From what I am reading, it seems that I did not miss too much from stopping at Camoran
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2019, 08:18:15 AM »

• Chris getting voted off on day 8, coming back into the game on day 36 and then winning on day 39 was also a joke.
When i read this I seriously thought you were making a joke, until I looked it up. wtf
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2019, 06:07:20 PM »

Somehow yes
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2019, 08:15:10 PM »

Several factors making recent seasons worse:
  • The firemaking at final 4 challenge is awful. It makes Survivor a totally different game at the very end. It single-handedly ruined H/H/H since they didn't even tell the contestants about it until right beforehand. I would been fine with Ben getting himself into the final 3 and then winning, but firemaking surprise makes him the second worst winner of alltime IMO. Even in the later seasons where the contestants knew ahead of time, it's silly -- does anyone actually like it?
  • Chris getting voted off on day 8, coming back into the game on day 36 and then winning on day 39 was also a joke. And he did play well in his 3 days back in the game, but it probably didn't mean much - he spent weeks hanging out with the jury on the Edge of Extinction, so of course they were inclined to vote for him. I can't believe they're actually bringing this back for Winners at War.
  • Honestly I wouldn't mind this if it were pre-merge only. The Outcasts twist in Pearl Islands was great. Had Lil won season 7, or Rick Devens won in season 38, I would have been fine with it since they was only out for a few days. But no one should be able to step back in at the very end at be able to win. Season 23 would probably be the worst of all-time had Ozzy not gotten upset in the final immunity challenge and therefore won after getting voted out twice. (Thank God they didn't have the firemaking f4 back then or he probably would've anyway!)
  • Way, way too many immunity idols these days. I didn't mind having one hidden at Exile Island, and I have thought the ones hidden at challenges to be kinda clever, but it just gets kinda ridiculous when they rehide a new one every time one is played. It's way too luck-based to just happen to find one. Russell finding 2 without any clues back in season 19 should have clued in the producers to this, but I think they learned the opposite lesson.
  • And idols should be the extent of it. No more "steal a vote," "block an idol," "extra votes," etc. If you don't want to get voted off, convince people not to vote you off. I don't like all these lucky random elements getting thrown into it.

I agree with all of that, especially the fire-making part. I remember when that was introduced, it seemed like a way to give Ben a lifeline in that season and help him win, because he was going to be voted out otherwise. It really upended the game in a big way that didn't seem fair as a surprise.

I also wish they would just go back to having a final two, they still do that sometimes, but the third person in the finale so rarely ever even gets votes, that I don't see the purpose of keeping it most of the time.

That also goes for a lot of the arbitrary classifications of the contestants as we've seen in some recent seasons. They just get tribe-swapped after nine or so days anyway, so what's the point? To make some sort of statement as to what kind of demographic is superior?

I would love to see a season that gets rid of all the gimmicks and returns to its basic roots. Hell that could even be the gimmick: 'Survivor: Back to Basics!' No hidden immunity idols!

when did they stop with the final two on a regular basis
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2020, 02:24:27 AM »
« Edited: February 12, 2020, 04:31:58 AM by morgankingsley »

At season 50 they should do one mega mash up with all previous winners who are still alive for its final season

Yes I know, it would be more than 39 days, but I think should allow it for this
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2020, 08:12:32 PM »

So I think Sandra is the only one who isn't going to be in the jury, right?
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2020, 12:13:48 AM »

I guess this will be the closest Im ever going to get to my boy Russell winning
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2020, 02:34:17 AM »

So I decided to have some fun and create a situation where we live in a alternate world where my personal choice on who wins if the one that determines what happens ultimately. Like if I was the only jury vote. But I decide to have some extra fun with this and create two rules for myself.

1. I have to treat this as one linear timeline, not 40 separate ones
2. I can only choose between the finalists that were in the real life show
3. If you want to, you can make your own version of S40 under this alternate universe, and determine who wins in that case, if its radically different

You guys can do this same thing if you want as well, just remember to have fun

1. Kelly
2. Colby
3. Ethan
4. Vecepia, I guess, barely know this one
5. Clay
6. Jenna
7. Sandra
8. Rob
9. Chris
10. Tom
11. Danni
12. Aras
13. Ozzy
14. Earl
15. Todd
16. Parvati
17. Bob
18. JT
19. Russell
20. Parvati
21. Fabio
22. Phillip, only because Rob wouldn't be in this due to winning All Stars
23. Coach
24. Kim
25. Mike without hindsight, Denise with
26. Cochran
27. Tyson
28. Tony
29. Natalie
30. Mike
31. Jeremy
32. I like all three, but I'm going Michelle
33. Ken, the only unanimous vote I don't agree with
34. Brad
35. Ben
36. Domenick
37. Mike
38. Gavin
39. Tommy
40. Tony
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2020, 02:06:09 PM »

Bob would have been the second oldest contestant in history
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2020, 11:13:51 PM »

Here would be my casting for some often-discussed themes for future returnee seasons, keeping in mind that production would favor some more recent people for some of these (don't personally agree with every characterization)

Winners vs. Final 3 losers

Winners not on WAW
  • Vecepia, Todd, Natalie W., Mike, Chris U., Tommy

People they beat
  • Neleh, Amanda, Russell, Carolyn, Gavin, Noura

WAW Contestants who also won another game or lost in the F3
  • Tony, Michelle, Sandra, Parvati

People they beat
  • Woo, Aubry, Jonny Fairplay, Cirie

This is similar to a "legends"-type cast, and you have extra layers, since in addition to all of the pairs, Tony also beat Michelle, Sandra also beat Parvati and Russell, and Parvati also beat Amanda.

Possible alternates could include Tina/Colby and Aras/Terry.

That's not a bad idea, but even a season that just consists of runners-up probably could be entertaining too. We won't be seeing Russell Hantz among those contestants though. To my knowledge that bridge was burned since his psycho nephew made his appearances on the show.

What's really funny to me is that if you watch South Pacific and Samoa only (Brandon and Russesll's first seasons) Brandon actually seems like a much better person than Russell in almost every way, but when you look at videos of them in real life on youtube and such, it's like totally the opposite. Russell's actually a really nice guy believe it or not, albeit bitter about his losses more than ten years on, while Brandon doesn't seem bitter, but is almost totally out there
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2020, 05:25:40 AM »

Season 21 is waifu season by default because of double quit scene which is comedy platinum
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2020, 05:37:32 AM »

While I know people are not big fans if returning players, I think a good gimmick could be "final chances". The rules would be you have to had played at least three times, you have to have lost every single time, and this is the last time you will ever play. If they really want to do a way to let them back, maybe they can do something like a pre merge challenge, and let back in the top two finishers, one per tribe and give both a one week immunity, like in pearl islands. And do a final two this season, as long as its common knowledge right away, to guarantee there is no tie.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't using this as a gimmick to give Russell and coach, my two favorites, one last shot
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2020, 11:37:39 PM »

The only runner up that still genuinely pisses me off is that Coach lost by only two votes. He was so close to winning a perfect season
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2020, 02:43:36 PM »

This autumn is going to be a dead-zone for television in general.

Which is why I was hoping we'd get more Survivor, not let. Film 4 seasons, air them twice a week, so each season finishes in 2 months. This would help CBS fill their slots.

But that would have taken some visionary leadership, something Probst just doesn't have.

Is Jeff Probst in charge of that though? I know that he's a producer, but I imagine that there are still those above him who make those calls.

As I understand it, Jeff has gained more and more total control over the last 10-15 seasons. He's the driver behind all the extra advantages, Edge of Extinction, no swimsuits, only film in Fiji, and all other silliness that's plagued the recent seasons.

A great breath of fresh air would be to fire/retire Jeff and let someone new take over, maybe Adam Klein (S33) or the Australian host.

The only twist in recent seasons I actually kind of like is the fire making one. Now I understand why it was hated the first time so much, because there was no foresight to it, no preparation. But when you think about it, the challenge actually does contribute to the outplay section of outwit, outplay and outlast.

Not only that, but the main issue with final three was that it was just another elimination, and there was nothing special about it, and that the FIC winner wasn't having that much power in all honesty. With this, the FIC winner does have at least partial real control over who goes to FTC because they do get to for sure decide one person who they want with them, and have at least partial control on the other, while also helping the idea of not having every power house just be eliminated at final four. And therefore actually does have some suspense going into the end. It's not a perfect twist by any means, but it does actually make sense.

The only real down side is that usually who wins it is a lot of the time a walk in to the winner of the season. Like had Devens won the EOE one, there is no doubt he would have won unanimously
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2020, 08:42:01 PM »

Is this the most ridiculous Survivor-related video on the whole Internet? Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

I think what's bizarre is him making it 7 years after caramoan when everybody's moved on
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2020, 03:51:42 PM »

Spoiler alert! Click Show to show the content.

Russell actually admitted before the season even started airing that he was just playing a character that time, and was just wanting to see how far he would go. He knew he wasn't winning. He just wanted to do it for pubilicity
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2021, 08:53:24 PM »

#russellshouldhavewonsamoa
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2022, 03:55:58 AM »
« Edited: December 03, 2022, 11:35:08 PM by morgankingsley »

Here is who I think is least likely to most likely to win

6. Owen = 0 vote finalist

5. Karla = the lowest ranking for someone I think has any chance to win, guessing F6 boot

4 . cody = either fire naking loser or the winner

3. Gabler = either wins or gets a 1 to 2 vote FTC runner up

2. Cassidy = either wins or F5 boot

1. Jesse = if he plays idol at 6, then 5, all he needs of FIC PR win fire

My guess is: Karla, cassidy, cody, owen, gabler, then Jesse

Regards -

Morgankingsley

December 3 2022
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2022, 09:09:51 PM »

Yeah, after tonight, Jesse either wins or goes out at firemaking, and Cassidy wins. But yeah, if he get's FTC, it's a debate on who gets second rather than anything else

If I had to guess:

Karla or Cassidy go at F5

Owen goes to F3 as a goat as 0 vote finalist

Gabler joins F3 and gets second place money (I'm guessing Ryan and Sami vote for him to create a 6-2-0)

Jesse plays immunity at F5, and then F4 is either his cornation or his dragon slaying

Morgan Kingsley -

December 7 2022
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2023, 11:30:00 PM »

I know it's three months late, but fun fact, Gabler is the first winner ever in 43 seasons (in the american version) to be the oldest contestant of his winning season. Conversely, Jenna and Aras are the only ones to be the youngest in their winning season.

I also wonder how the original pre jury members reacted to his win. Especially Elie, who Gabler confirmed became really good friends with him after the fact (although watching the season again, his winner's edit is probably the most obvious one in nearly ten seasons barring Tony, and the Elie vote is a large part of that).

As for 44, that was ridiculously wild. With 4 medical visits, and a over the top first tribal where two shots in the dark were played, a lose your vote, and a correctly played idol. I read that the theory is that Matt used his as a way to remove any guilt on the vote off so that whoever wins that initial vote he can integrate himself into the alliance well enough. I don't think it's a great move, but I get it. But the Jamie one was ridiculous.

- Morgan Kingsley

March 7, 2023
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2023, 10:47:49 PM »

Let's not let this thread turn into a debate of the legislation Nick voted for, but Survivor is probably not casting any active politicians of either party. 

I'll just throw in my two cents. But realistically, this is probably the case more than anything else. Because not only would that alienate millions of viewers either way, but their politics would almost certainly cause them to be first voted out on their tribe anyways. Therefore making the casting choice would almost not even be worth it from a public or money stand point.

But that will be the first, and the only, time, I will talk about this specific bill on the thread.

Morgan Kingsley -

March 18, 2023
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2023, 01:43:03 AM »
« Edited: April 07, 2023, 01:46:33 AM by morgankingsley »

Something I noticed when looking through the wiki pages to confirm what I was thinking.

But with 2 male evacuations, and 4 female vote offs, not only was Josh the first male to be outright *voted off* by majority vote, but he also ties with Matt from Caramoan to be the longest a person from either gender took to be eliminated by outright vote in any season, both being eliminated 7th. Although in Matt's case from caramoan, Brandon did get eliminated by vote at the challenge, so if you don't count Matt, Josh is officially holding the title for the record for longest a member of either sex took to be the first member of that sex to get eliminated by vote off.

Going forward with my statistic, every single season females were the first four *voted* eliminations, a man won. Gabler won 43, Cochran won Caramoan, Bob won Gabon, Earl won Fiji, and Aras won Panama.

Given this metric, not only do I think there is a very high chance a man will win, but with Tika's coverage, it will be either Carson or Yam Yam.

If Caron wins, not only would he be the youngest winner ever, but we would have a filming cycle (back to back seasons filmed in 2022) where we not only had the first winner ever to be the oldest contestant of his season and the second over 50, but also be followed by the youngest winner and the third one to be the youngest of his season in back to back seasons. Making that a incredibly iconic filming cycle historically speaking

Morgan Kingsley -

April 6, 2023
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies