What's the last movie you've seen? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 08:05:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What's the last movie you've seen? (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]
Author Topic: What's the last movie you've seen?  (Read 637474 times)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #125 on: September 02, 2011, 07:54:57 AM »

Great, Great movie.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #126 on: October 14, 2011, 12:11:52 PM »

Two films on telly recently named after places; Copenhagen and Brazil. Inevitably (for nothing in the world is as predictable as my tastes) I liked both. I'd seen bits of the latter before, but only bits, so it still counts for this thread.
I never understood why Brazil was called that.

The theme song was chosen before the title and they just decided to name it after that.  I find Brazil to be pretty overrated.  Actually, everything Terry Gilliam does is a joke that goes on 45 minutes too long.

This, excluding Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, is one of the truest statements I´ve ever seen on this forum.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #127 on: January 20, 2012, 04:20:09 PM »

Perhaps unsurprisingly, I share Al's distaste for Loach, in my case however it is largely driven by that awful film he made on the Irish War of Independence/Civil War.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #128 on: February 13, 2012, 06:18:09 AM »

Finally got around to seeing The Tree of Life. Outstanding. Admittedly it is the sort of thing that I'll always like and I can see why others might have a lower opinion and all that, but, meh. Oddly enough the best thing about it wasn't any of the obvious things, but the general feeling of sincerity, something that isn't as common culturally as it once was.

Good to see someone else liked it. It seems to be a love/hate type of movie.

I was 'meh' about it.

For me, a lot of it - especially the scenes involving dinosaurs and Sean Penn in the desert - were on the wrong side of metaphysical kitsch.

The scenes with the kids though were great.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #129 on: February 18, 2012, 07:48:34 AM »

Weekend.

Apparently some people like that movie. I would enjoy actually meeting one of them.

I have to say I was disappointed to see that you weren't referring to Jean Luc Godard film of the same name...
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #130 on: April 13, 2012, 05:55:59 PM »

Anyway, my last film was Network. Amazing. And felt scarily modern.

So you and Gully agree on something now? Grin

Haha, well, I think we agree on quite a lot, actually. Like many people of his type he is too caught up in his disdain for certain things that I don't think he has taken the time or effort to seriously encounter. That's why he leaps too far from disliking commercialization or soulless materialism or what have you into some general dislike of empirical facts and material well-being.

Of course, he probably thinks the same of me, but I think I've sat through enough experimental art videos or phenomenological dissertations to have earned the right to hold them in contempt. Wink

What do I disdain exactly that I haven't had the time to encounter? And since have I talked about disliking commercialization or soulless materialism (and I do dislike both those things, but I suspect we are talking in different languages when those terms are mentioned). And you probably have seen more experimental art than I have, certainly experimental literature. I'm actually terribly badly read.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #131 on: May 30, 2012, 11:11:19 AM »

Eyes without a Face (1959)

A very good example of a "classic" horror movie.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #132 on: May 31, 2012, 04:51:31 AM »

The Merchant of Four Seasons (1971)

Anyone agree with my mischievous suggestion that this film be made mandatory at places like Harvard Business School in lessons about work-life balance?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #133 on: June 02, 2012, 05:35:14 AM »

Les Diaboliques (1955)

See what I said above for Eyes without a face; the same applies (except Thriller instead of Horror). Though I have to say I shocked not to have seen that ending coming.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #134 on: June 08, 2012, 12:26:05 PM »

The Bitter Tears of Petra Von Kant (1972)

Has anyone else here ever seen this? What did they think?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #135 on: June 12, 2012, 05:49:05 AM »

Shadows (1959)

Excellent.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #136 on: June 12, 2012, 11:10:39 AM »

I haven't seen this one, but I really enjoyed Woman Under the Influence and the one about murdering a Chinese bookmaker. Cassavetes is pretty cool. Have you seen other stuff by him and if so, how did this compare?

Actually this was my first Cassavetes but as I've managed to obtain (thank you Cork Public Library System) a DVD box-set of five of his films (I'm watching them in chronological order), I will be sure to give you my thoughts on them in the future.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #137 on: June 13, 2012, 06:30:44 AM »
« Edited: June 13, 2012, 06:35:42 AM by Iatrogenesis »

Faces (1968)

Brilliant; still swimming around my mind (It might take a while before I come up with a more detailled judgement). Before watching this, I never would have thought you could scream while watching a non-horror film "in a good way". I can't help reflect though if this film was made now, the characters would pad their solliquoys full of pseudo-psychological "insights". But this is great though perhaps at times suffers from what might be termed "over-realism". Not for the faint hearted though.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies