Rockefeller Republicans (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 08:57:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Rockefeller Republicans (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rockefeller Republicans  (Read 3102 times)
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« on: September 19, 2022, 06:12:52 AM »

"Rockefeller Republicans" is a misnomer.  There were liberal Republicans before Nelson Rockefeller, and there were liberal Republicans after Nelson Rockefeller (although the 1968 election cycle diminished their power in the party greatly).

The strategic error of the Rockefeller Republicans was their failure to give a nominal endorsement of Barry Goldwater before walking away from the 1964 campaign.  It was something that was held against them forever.  Had Nelson Rockefeller endorsed Goldwater after the convention he would not have been forced off the 1964 ticket.  George Romney, William Scranton, and any number of progressive Republicans who lost stature would have been better off endorsing Goldwater, if only to say "I'm voting for the entire Republican ticket!" and leaving it at that.  Jimmy Carter, in 1972, said he would vote for McGovern but not campaign for him.  The problem for Rockefeller and the other Republicans that were shoved aside in the 1970s was that they did not even go that far for Goldwater as Carter did for McGovern.

Richard Nixon, on the other hand, campaigned for Goldwater in 1964.  He also campaigned extensively for Republicans in 1966 and he helped his party win big that year.  Nixon was a conservative who could get the tacit approval of the Eastern GOP Establishment (the Rockefeller types) AND bring Strom Thurmond around to support him (although Thurmond's personal preference was for Reagan.)
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2022, 11:55:27 PM »

Without reading the dozens of paragraphs above, I need to chime in to remind everyone that "Rockefeller Republicans" had some of the most brutal views on crime, urbanism, and race in the history of the country. The movement is literally named after the governor best remembered for his response to the Attica prison riots. They were not suburban intellectuals; they were the last political movement appealing to the concerns of a now politically extinct class: upper-class urban whites. Their "moderate" views on abortion and gun control largely stem from paranoia regarding black crime, and the common view of them as broadly "liberal" is misguided, as is liberal nostalgia for them.

P.S. Having written this out, I did go back and see that Al and NCY largely hit the mark.

I'll tack on that the narrow WASPishness (at least in public reputation) of the Rockefeller set prevented them from appealing to ethnic minorities, which would have preserved their power another decade or so. And the acceleration of Northern white fears after 1964 pushed voters past what even the Republicans were offering. Instead, ethnic  voters went for Wallace (before later abandoning the cities) while wealthier voters abandoned the cities as soon as possible for Rye, Greenwich, Orange County, etc., forming the basis for the Reaganism of the 1980s.

And none of this is to say that there weren't "liberal Republicans" as there are today. But they were never a coherent enough movement appealing to enough voters to, say, elect a President. Or even a Governor of New York.

The "Tough On Crime" aspect of Rockefeller was not a consistent part of his record.  He was the Governor who signed the bill abolishing the Death Penalty in NY. 

Rockefeller pushed through a Draconian bill to give life sentences to Drug Dealers as part of his drive for a 4th term in 1970, but he did not enact the full gamut of "tough on crime" legislation.  He used force to quell the riots at Attica, but force was justified; that situation was way too out of hand.  That being said, he began to implement the reforms called for in the wake of the riot at Attica. 

That being said, Rockefeller did have a "conservative" side to him.  I remember discussing Rockefeller with one of my teachers (a Ramsey Clark liberal) who agreed with me when I asked him why conservatives hated Rockefeller so much when he seemed, aside from being a big spender, to have much in common with them.  Rockefeller DID move to the right after his 1968 run for President; he was more conservative in 1970, he nominated Nixon in 1972, and he was conservative enough to be selected as Ford's VP.  Most people did not view him as a "Liberal Republican" when he died; they just viewed him as "not a conservative".  The term "Moderate Republican" doesn't really fit, however.  He was for big government and big spending in a way that Eisenhower cringed at.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2023, 10:27:05 PM »

I have no idea why Lowell Weicker was a Republican (and is currently registered as a third party) rather than being a Democrat.

Weicker was far more conservative in 1970; he had only a 30 ADA rating his 1st two (2) years in the Senate.

Weicker was a moderate Republican who was tapped to run against Rev. Joseph Duffey, an anti-Vietnam War liberal.  At the last minute, incumbent Sen. Thomas Dodd reentered the race as an Independent; he had been censured by the Senate in 1967 for converting money from political fund raisers to his personal use, and he was an alcoholic who died in 1971, not long after leaving office.  Dodd was a more hawkish Democrat who was a supporter of LBJ's Vietnam policies and ran as a third party.  His effect was to siphon off Democratic voters who found Duffey too liberal. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies