Is Game of Thrones one of the worst TV shows of all time?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 11:26:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Is Game of Thrones one of the worst TV shows of all time?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Is Game of Thrones one of the worst TV shows of all time?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: Is Game of Thrones one of the worst TV shows of all time?  (Read 1203 times)
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2021, 06:32:22 AM »

How is this a show??? It whitewashes genocide.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2021, 09:24:44 AM »

Anyway, I think Game of Thrones is certainly one of the most overrated shows of all time. First four series were good, but the quality nosedived in series 5 as they ran out of original material and resorted mainly to ‘crash, bang, wallop’ action scenes and fan service to fill the void. Of course, they didn’t even provide the fan service in series 8, thus ensuring that the show will be forever tainted in the eyes of many. I think of it as kind of being like a massive bubble that was eventually pricked, because it couldn’t live up to the enormous expectations that had been placed upon it.

Exactly. The problem with BRTD is that he can't help overstating his case and as a result loses people who'd otherwise agree with him. If this poll's title was "Is Game of Thrones massively overrated?" I think the results would have been very different.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2021, 12:26:20 PM »

Nobody tell him about The Great Dictator.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2021, 11:07:22 AM »

Some mild spoilers.

Seasons 1-3 were very good; and it was one of the rare TV programs in the streaming age where everyone I knew at school would watch it on the night it came out and then discuss it for the next week. That's rare & is a testament to its popular appeal.

Season 1 was probably one of the best; although the lack of a budget is very clear when you re-watch it.

Seasons 2-3 are the sweet spot but then even by Season 4 you can see the quality start to slip as the show, well, became aware of itself.

The battle at the Wall in Season 4 remains one of the best episodes- but afterward it collapses completely. I kept watching 5 & 6 and would frequently get annoyed at parts of the plot but by season 7 it felt like I was watching an objectively bad TV show written by someone who didn't even understand the lore of the TV show let alone the ASIOF universe. The scene with the Sand Snakes killing Doran was the prime example; this would not happen & the armies of Dorne would not follow them. The show completely failed to understand how ASIOF would work

The best way of showing the decline is to compare the big episodes from Season 1-4 with the big finale at Winterfell; both hour long episodes but the one at Winterfell doesn't actually surprise you at any point & for a series based around killing darlings... actually fails to kill anyone!

There's a lot of television where the quality gets much worse or where the ending is a big let down; but I think GOT will be up there for the most disappointing last series. 
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2021, 08:30:20 PM »

Honestly as someone who read the books(I know I’m being that type of person 😞) the show was damaged beyond repair in S5 with what happened change wise to Sansa and Stannis’ storylines.
BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.23, S: 0.42

« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2021, 08:47:22 PM »

Seasons 1-4 are some of the greatest TV ever.
Seasons 5-7 suck outside of cool fight scenes.

I hope if the last two books ever come out, they improve the plot significantly.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2021, 10:32:18 PM »

Anyway, I think Game of Thrones is certainly one of the most overrated shows of all time. First four series were good, but the quality nosedived in series 5 as they ran out of original material and resorted mainly to ‘crash, bang, wallop’ action scenes and fan service to fill the void. Of course, they didn’t even provide the fan service in series 8, thus ensuring that the show will be forever tainted in the eyes of many. I think of it as kind of being like a massive bubble that was eventually pricked, because it couldn’t live up to the enormous expectations that had been placed upon it.

Exactly. The problem with BRTD is that he can't help overstating his case and as a result loses people who'd otherwise agree with him. If this poll's title was "Is Game of Thrones massively overrated?" I think the results would have been very different.

"Did the Game of Thrones ending suck?" is a completely uncontroversial position that wouldn't generate any debate at all. It'd be like comparing The Shawshank Redemption to one of the Twilight movies and asking which is better.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2021, 04:39:57 AM »
« Edited: October 25, 2021, 11:20:37 AM by Doctor V »

"Did the Game of Thrones ending suck?" is a completely uncontroversial position that wouldn't generate any debate at all. It'd be like comparing The Shawshank Redemption to one of the Twilight movies and asking which is better.

Well, sure, but that's not the question I asked.

Asking "is X overrated" is almost guaranteed to produce discussion in most circles, because you're explicitly prompting people to dissent from the consensus.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies