MS-Gov: Trent Lott for governor in 2019? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 07:11:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MS-Gov: Trent Lott for governor in 2019? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MS-Gov: Trent Lott for governor in 2019?  (Read 6959 times)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« on: May 18, 2015, 10:14:14 PM »

I really don't understand how MS Dems can't scrounge together a candidate who can squeak out a win more or less running as an old school Southern Democrat.  With such a large Black population, all he'd need to do is win like 30% of Whites, right?  There's no way a coalition of old Dixiecrats who are about to die plus some poor Whites can't get near 30%...
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 02:05:54 PM »

I really don't understand how MS Dems can't scrounge together a candidate who can squeak out a win more or less running as an old school Southern Democrat.  With such a large Black population, all he'd need to do is win like 30% of Whites, right?  There's no way a coalition of old Dixiecrats who are about to die plus some poor Whites can't get near 30%...

Generally the only way to attract those extra 20% of whites to the Democratic Party again would be moving heavily to the right, which would in turn decrease black turnout. That wouldn't even be enough, because if you want a conservative governor, why not just vote Republican? It would require a Republican candidate that was bad enough that people want an alternative.

Right, but most non-biased people could agree that the old Dixiecrats were only really conservatives compared to the national Democratic Party; they certainly weren't as conservative, especially on fiscal issues, as the current crop of Southern Republicans are.  I question whether a socially conservative, fiscally moderate-to-populist Southern Democrat would decrease Black turnout that much, but I'd need someone more well-versed in local MS politics to correct me if I'm wrong.  It literally worked for decades.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies