1945-1973: The Peak of America?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 04:04:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  1945-1973: The Peak of America?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: 1945-1973: The Peak of America?  (Read 3545 times)
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2009, 03:54:53 PM »

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2009, 03:55:52 PM »

They only talk about it in that way because they sort of remember it personally.

---

I wonder when the peak was in terms of living standards. Obviously there's no objective way of measuring that, but it's always an interesting way of looking at things. It was obviously at some point between the early '50's and the late '70's (the same as in other Western countries) though I wonder whether the peak might have been a little earlier.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2009, 03:59:45 PM »
« Edited: December 03, 2009, 04:01:57 PM by Mr. Allan Abraham »

Oh, if we speak about 'Golden Age' like an age of domination

No, it's a reference to the decades in which a form of capitalism actually worked for the benefit of the majority of the population in Western societies, rather than domination of any sort. In retrospect a major historical exception... but people didn't think so at the time.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2009, 04:02:10 PM »

They only talk about it in that way because they sort of remember it personally.

Or because it was when America, politically and by its culture dominated the whole world.

After, sure, it depends what you speak about when you speak of peak.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2009, 04:04:03 PM »

Or because it was when America, politically and by its culture dominated the whole world.

In terms of mass culture, America has dominated since the 1920's. I mean, in your country the Communist Party actually launched a campaign in the '50's promoting the drinking of red wine rather than evil, capitalist coca-cola.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2009, 04:09:14 PM »
« Edited: December 03, 2009, 04:10:53 PM by Benwah »

Oh, if we speak about 'Golden Age' like an age of domination

No, it's a reference to the decades in which a form of capitalism actually worked for the benefit of the majority of the population in Western societies, rather than domination of any sort. In retrospect a major historical exception... but people didn't think so at the time.

That's it, we don't know what the notion of peak is here. Or maybe disagree on what it could ultimately be, if ever it can have an ultimate definition.

In terms of mass culture, America has dominated since the 1920's. I mean, in your country the Communist Party actually launched a campaign in the '50's promoting the drinking of red wine rather than evil, capitalist coca-cola.

Yes, and i still have the TV commercial in mind. In the '90s they dominated the whole world, not only Western Europe, culturally and politically. There was an adhesion to this culture in the mainstream thoughts, I have the impress they were still 'trendy' around the world and they hadn't a real significant political counter-power. Thus, these so 'suggared' years for Americans/Westerners. By the way I haven't a special 'admiration', nor good ol' nostalgia for this epoch. I already stated some criticisms on it.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2009, 04:13:43 PM »

---

I wonder when the peak was in terms of living standards. Obviously there's no objective way of measuring that, but it's always an interesting way of looking at things. It was obviously at some point between the early '50's and the late '70's (the same as in other Western countries) though I wonder whether the peak might have been a little earlier.

Can only speak of the US, but here it was definitely earlier.  By the late 1960s in the US, inflation was getting pretty bad and wages stopped keeping up with price growth sometime, like, I want to say 1969-1971.  Even though both wages and prices rose during the 70s here, wages never kept up with prices, so living standards technically were never as good.  That difference was covered up with debt, btw, like it was in this decade.

The position that the US found itself in after the expected post-war recession of 1946-47 has scarcely been equalled in history.  Basically, we could do whatever we wanted, when we wanted.

Besides after WWII, Western Europe was essentially a somewhat insignificant province of the US because we did hold all the wealth, industry, etc.
CJK
United States

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2009, 07:38:17 PM »

If we go by public opinion, the highest satisfaction rating in Gallup history occured in February 1999 when 71% of Americans said they were satisfied with the U.S. However, the question has been asked only since 1979.

U.S. satifaction has not been more than 50% since January 2004.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/1669/General-Mood-Country.aspx
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2009, 08:13:23 AM »

---

Can only speak of the US, but here it was definitely earlier.  By the late 1960s in the US, inflation was getting pretty bad and wages stopped keeping up with price growth sometime, like, I want to say 1969-1971.  Even though both wages and prices rose during the 70s here, wages never kept up with prices, so living standards technically were never as good.  That difference was covered up with debt, btw, like it was in this decade.

The position that the US found itself in after the expected post-war recession of 1946-47 has scarcely been equalled in history.  Basically, we could do whatever we wanted, when we wanted.

Besides after WWII, Western Europe was essentially a somewhat insignificant province of the US because we did hold all the wealth, industry, etc.

Most put the peak at about 1973.  Basically we experienced very rapid growith in standard of living from 1945-1973, then stasis to mild growth from 73-80, than rapid deterioration ever since (with a mild respite in the 90s).  Of course here I'm speaking of working class standards of living - the only figure we should pay attention to when judging policy.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies