LOL: Blago to Appoint Fmr. AG to Senate Seat
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 08:24:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  LOL: Blago to Appoint Fmr. AG to Senate Seat
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: LOL: Blago to Appoint Fmr. AG to Senate Seat  (Read 14381 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2008, 06:37:11 PM »

He could expel the senator with 2/3rds though, as was stated.

Interesting tidbit Jeff, you know who replaced Powell in the next election?  A certain Mr. Rangel
ill ind

« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2008, 06:39:40 PM »

Not suprising and a pretty calculated move by the governor.
  Having listened to Burris speak in the past I can't help but think he is more boring than watching paint dry.

Ill Ind
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2008, 07:11:22 PM »

Well, Burris said on MSNBC that he'll challenge any decision by the Democrats to not seat him.

This is going to get ugly folks.

muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2008, 07:16:59 PM »

Well, Burris said on MSNBC that he'll challenge any decision by the Democrats to not seat him.

As I said I think the law is on his side.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2008, 07:17:30 PM »

Yes, it will.  And you are correct on expulsion being the only real option.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2008, 07:19:47 PM »

There's nothing wrong with this guy. Reid should seat him if he knows whats good for him.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2008, 07:23:36 PM »

There's nothing wrong with this guy. Reid should seat him if he knows whats good for him.

He did give $11k to Blagojevich's campaign in exchange for consulting contracts, but who in Illinois hasn't?

Reid wants to keep this guy at arms-length, but it's going to be difficult.  If Burris wants to challenge him, he could end up, I believe, shunned in the Senate (denied any committee assignments like "Dollar Bill" Jefferson was in the House) or expelled.   Burris has a great shot at being appointed by Quinn, so Burris may play this slow rather than hard and fast -- I think Quinn's only two options are his friend Schako and Burris and Quinn probably doesn't want Bobby Rush calling for his execution on Day 1.

So, Reid very well me faced with Burris.  If he was smart, he'd start pushing for a special election in Illinois and agree to Burris as only a "temporary" six-month senator until the people of Illinois elect someone. 
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2008, 07:30:27 PM »

You see, one of the things that was quite clear to me when I first read up on Blagojevich after the indictment was that this is the type of guy who, if he's being taken down, will choose the option of "taking down everyone along with him he can", instead of "shutting up and taking one for the team".

I don't think I made the call on this forum (Sad), but I told the GF that this guy was going to pick someone for that Senate seat after he's indicted.  I'm sure he has some more *gifts* coming.  Reason why this whole story is far from over.

Oh, and btw, after re-reading Powell v. McCormick, I agree with muon2.  He has to be seated - the only viable option is expulsion.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2008, 07:34:36 PM »

Expulsion is a lot harder to do.  No Senator has been expelled since the civil war and Burris himself has done nothing wrong.

I've rambled quite a bit in a thread no one responded too about why Obama has to be *VERY* friendly to Blagojevich right now because if things get heated Blagojevich can just start making crap up about all of the things Barack Obama offered him in exchange for the seat.  Well, at the very least, I'm sure this is the type of guy who can and will start naming names when the time is right.   He's very clearly vindictive to the point of delusion.

I think Blago's danger to Obama, should Blago feel slighted by the president-elect, is underestimated by the MSM
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2008, 07:42:21 PM »

Obama called Burris “a good man and a fine public servant” but said he agrees with Senate Democrats that any choice by Blagojevich isn’t binding because of criminal charges against him.

“The Senate Democrats made it clear weeks ago that they cannot accept an appointment made by a governor who is accused of selling this very Senate seat. I agree with their decision, and it is extremely disappointing that Governor Blagojevich has chosen to ignore it,” Obama said in a statement.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1208/16930.html
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2008, 08:46:43 PM »

Since I was unaware of this until recently myself, expulsion is not at all the same as impeachment, does not require a previous vote in the House, and does not require an impeachment trial.

Relevant parts of the Constitution (Article I, Section 5):

"Each House shall be the judge of the elections, returns and qualifications of its own members, and a majority of each shall constitute a quorum to do business; but a smaller number may adjourn from day to day, and may be authorized to compel the attendance of absent members, in such manner, and under such penalties as each House may provide.

Each House may determine the rules of its proceedings, punish its members for disorderly behavior, and, with the concurrence of two thirds, expel a member."
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2008, 08:53:44 PM »

While it would have been easy to expel Stevens, who was convicted of felony corruption, is it really feasible to bring down the hammer on Burris who would have just successfully sued Jesse White (to get him to certify the governor's decision) and Reid (to seat him)?

Roland Burris is a fairly inoffensive guy too, the first black elected statewide in IL and all..

Roland has a couple screws loose though.  As I've repeatedly stated, his two kids are named Roland II [understandable] and Rolanda [crazy]
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2008, 09:03:31 PM »

Roland has a couple screws loose though.  As I've repeatedly stated, his two kids are named Roland II [understandable] and Rolanda [crazy]

Not as bad as George Foreman.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2008, 09:07:59 PM »

I think it's pretty clear this guy has to be seated.  Reid would have to be a complete idiot to not seat him, and even if he didn't, the law is on Burris's side.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2008, 09:09:49 PM »

Reid would have to be a complete idiot to not seat him

Well......
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #65 on: December 30, 2008, 09:12:08 PM »

I think it's pretty clear this guy has to be seated.  Reid would have to be a complete idiot to not seat him, and even if he didn't, the law is on Burris's side.

Reid knows the law better than either of us, I'm sure.  But he has two goals:
1) Try and bluff Burris into not even trying
2) Force Burris INTO the lawsuit, and thus absolving Democrats for being associated with him since they just very publicly fought tooth and nail to prevent him from being seated
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #66 on: December 30, 2008, 09:18:07 PM »
« Edited: December 30, 2008, 09:26:56 PM by Beet »

Are you kidding? Why?

Blago should just be impeached. If the Constitution only allows those Governors who have committed a crime to be impeached, why not just amend the Constitution? Or why not just impeach him anyway, let him appeal it to the state Supreme Court, and have the State Supreme Court stall indefinitely?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The first offensive thing he did was accept Blago's nomination. He is now tainted with the destruction of Illinois.

If this Burris guy makes it into the Senate he should be no zero committees. He should not be invited to any meetings. Reid should arrange to have one of the junior Senate Dems cast a canceling vote to every vote he makes.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #67 on: December 30, 2008, 11:17:17 PM »
« Edited: December 30, 2008, 11:25:17 PM by Eraserhead »

Who has the video of the press conference? I gotta watch this.

Nevermind: http://www.poliblogger.com/?p=14703

This is pretty great stuff. Lunar must be in heaven right now.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #68 on: December 30, 2008, 11:58:26 PM »
« Edited: December 31, 2008, 12:00:23 AM by Lunar »

What can I say?  This is political food at its epic best.  I can't believe political junkies like us [me?] are lucky enough to observe this madness.

Also remember that I spent 15-20 hours researching Blago's appointment, reasoning through the advantages and disadvantages of various people, considering things entirely within the political realm (which one gives him the most political capital, constituencies for his reelection, etc.) while this whole time he was selling the seat for suitcases full of money while planning his 2016 presidential run! Smiley 
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #69 on: December 31, 2008, 12:25:52 AM »
« Edited: December 31, 2008, 12:27:24 AM by Lunar »

Why does Bobby Rush talk like a 90 year old who's had a stroke?  I mean, his black panther days must have been wild, but the man is in his early 60's.  Skip to the end of the video 15 minutes or so in if you want to see.

Anyone else remember this quote from 2000 from Bobby Rush?
"Barack Obama went to Harvard and became an educated fool. Barack is a person who read about the civil-rights protests and thinks he knows all about it."

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #70 on: December 31, 2008, 12:59:35 AM »

Reid's office put out a statement that is horribly, horribly, horribly, wrong and they're going to lose, but here it is:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #71 on: December 31, 2008, 01:34:30 AM »

Reid's office put out a statement that is horribly, horribly, horribly, wrong and they're going to lose, but here it is:

I guess your point is that it is irrelevant whether the seat was sold (worst case scenario) or not, it's still a legal appointment?

I would assume the "elections and returns" part of the clause would empower the Congress to judge whether or not a person actually received a legal appointment or not.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #72 on: December 31, 2008, 01:38:58 AM »

What can I say?  This is political food at its epic best.  I can't believe political junkies like us [me?] are lucky enough to observe this madness.

Yeah I'm right with you on that. This is great!

I'm also interested in the legal aspects. I love trails. It's not at all clear to me they're going to get a conviction on anything serious. Impeachment/removal is a different matter.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #73 on: December 31, 2008, 01:39:54 AM »
« Edited: December 31, 2008, 03:08:21 AM by Ogre Mage »

This is a disaster (although an entertaining one).  If anyone appointed by Pay-Rod is seated, we will have a PR mess on our hands and our chances of holding what should be an easy Democratic seat go down.  Burris is unbelievably dumb to accept a Pay-Rod appointment.  He will be treated in the senate like he has the plague.

Pay-Rod is attempting a chess move of some sort, but I cannot figure out what his game plan is.  

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #74 on: December 31, 2008, 01:41:01 AM »

I guess your point is that it is irrelevant whether the seat was sold (worst case scenario) or not, it's still a legal appointment?

I would assume the "elections and returns" part of the clause would empower the Congress to judge whether or not a person actually received a legal appointment or not.

If there was evidence that the seat was sold, then that would be different.

It was a legal appointment.  I don't see how Blagojevich isn't currently a governor capable of legally appointing a senator.  He  hasn't been convicted of anything.  In fact, the legislature was going to pass a bill to hold a special election that Blagojevich supported (mostly to strip the power away from Quinn, whom he hates), but the IL legislature stalled.  I think it's pretty clear that in the absence of a U.S. senator and any relevant state laws, the governor is within full jurisdiction.

I mean, you can see a couple legal opinions on both sides here.  

But Reid's case is pretty weak.  It has a little bit of merit, but it's weak.

I'm not even a legal amateur and don't really have an interest in law, so I'm sure even an awful lawyer arguing Reid's side could defeat me in court/debate.  Let's just say I'm confident Reid will lose in court Smiley
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies