Fear and Loathing in Nixonland (Gameplay Thread) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 10:52:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Fear and Loathing in Nixonland (Gameplay Thread) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Fear and Loathing in Nixonland (Gameplay Thread)  (Read 13769 times)
Mycool

Political Matrix
E: -4.58, S: -6.52

« on: October 31, 2023, 04:45:42 PM »
« edited: November 01, 2023, 10:31:51 AM by Mycool »

Shirley Chisholm: Unbought and Unbossed

Source

At a Baptist church in Brooklyn

Like many of you, I'm a revolutionary at heart. When I see injustice, I need to act. That's why I became a director of a childcare facility here in New York. That's why I decided to put together a team and become an advocate for children's welfare. That's why I got involved in politics.

I won my first race on the support of women voters. Our community came together and supported me not because I am a woman, but because when they told me about their issues, I not only listened to them, I heard them. It was a coalition of women and Black voters that got us a seat in the State Assembly. Here we were able to expand unemployment benefits and get more kids to college. Some in the media derided these as "women's issues," but these are kitchen table issues that Americans care about. We can use politics to impact people's day to day lives.

That's why I'm here today. I am announcing my run for the Democratic nomination for President. I won't pretend it isn't an uphill battle, just like my first State Assembly race, just like my first race for Congress, and just like every single piece of legislation that we got passed while I've served in those roles. I'm not afraid of a challenge.

I know what challenges we face. I know I will be called the woman candidate or the Black candidate. I am not the candidate of black America, although I am Black and proud. I am not the candidate of the women's movement of this country, although I am a woman and equally proud of that. I am the candidate of the people and my presence before you symbolizes a new era in American political history.

The truth is, I am not running for women, I'm not running for Black Americans, I'm running to be President for all Americans. But this movement won't happen by itself. We need to stand together and tell the establishment that we need a seat at the table. The new primary system gives us this chance. So in spite of what they might say about my chances, I'm in this race to compete and will be working to get our campaign on the ballot wherever we can.

Now, Shirley, you might ask, why now? America has a big choice to make. It's not just a choice of Democrats versus Republicans, it's a choice about what vision we want to make for our country. Do we want a President who claims fellow Americans are the enemy while we're sending our citizens to war? Or do we want someone who is able to balance getting us out of this mess abroad while taking care of our families? I know which one I want.

We absolutely can end this war. We can expand food stamps to women and children, ensuring no baby goes hungry in this great nation. We can expand funding to childcare, letting more families achieve the American Dream. That's why I'm running for President, and I hope I can get your support.
Mycool

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2023, 10:48:10 AM »

Statement from the Chisholm Campaign

We intend to run a national campaign, however, we have to be lean and strategic. We will be skipping the New Hampshire primary and instead focusing on Florida and Illinois. Florida and Illinois will show we can build a coalition in this Democratic Party based on those who have been long underserved, the poor, women, and Black and Latino voters.
Mycool

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2023, 10:10:44 AM »
« Edited: November 03, 2023, 12:47:28 PM by Mycool »

Source

Campaign Platform

Economy: It's past time we raise the minimum wage. Beyond this, we need to extend it to domestic workers who have been left behind by our system.

Poverty: In the most prosperous country in the world, no baby should go hungry. I'm proposing a "food stamps" program for pregnant women, breastfeeding women, and their children. This program would give food, formula, education, access to healthcare, and support to breastfeeding mothers. Additionally, we will pass legislation I co-sponsored with Congresswoman Bella Abzug which would provide $10 billion in federal funding for childcare, so no mother has to worry about whether she can afford childcare.

Vietnam: I opposed this war from the start. It's time we get our troops back home and end this disaster. I propose clemency for draft dodgers who had good reason to oppose such a war in the first place. We need to focus our attention on domestic issues in order to revive the American Dream. The draft should be ended and replaced with an all-voluntary military service.

Women's Rights: Pass the Equal Rights Amendment now! It's a hallmark of an equitable society to have codified protection for women. This will ensure discrimination is not accepted in the United States. My office in Congress has been made up of all women, and my campaign staff will be at least 50% women.

Education: The only way to desegregate our schools is through busing. Opposition to this should be seen as what it is, racist and promoting the status quo. Found a Department of Education to oversee the schools in this country and make sure they are up to standards befitting this great nation.

Healthcare: A government-run insurance program seems like the best way to achieve universal healthcare, a goal for a Chisholm administration. Do what Democrats have sought to do by expanding health insurance to the poor and reserving more spending for healthcare nationally.

Voting: Expand the Voting Rights Act to protect bilingual ballots in areas where voters may not speak English. Our nation is greatest when we celebrate diversity, and this step prevents discrimination based on nation of birth or ethnicity. By next election we should have binding primaries in all 50 states, ensuring democratic elections of our Presidential candidates.

Labor: Democrats are the party of labor. Ending Taft-Hartley should be a day-one priority of the next Democratic President. Work with labor leaders to desegregate the labor force, providing equal protection from predatory business practices.
Mycool

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2023, 01:01:43 PM »

Source

Campaign Announcement

The Chisholm campaign announced a tour of college campuses, hoping to connect with younger voters who value diversity and ending the Vietnam War. These stops will be held in early primary states such as Florida, Illinois, and Wisconsin.

Town hall excerpt:

Question: A lot of people say that the country isn’t ready for a woman, let alone a Black woman to be the nominee, what is your response to that?

If we wait our turn then we’ll never have a seat at the table. I’m not part of the boys’ club in Democratic politics. I’m an outsider. But we’ve seen what happens when we nominate insider after insider in our campaigns, we lose. I know we have an uphill battle, but I believe this country has more people who feel on the outside of the system than we think. It’s that coalition that is behind this campaign. I was an underdog in my first congressional race, but we won. This is a campaign about hope, about the future, and about what’s possible, not about following the status quo.

Question: How will your campaign handle outreach to young people?

Well, for one, I’m going to show up. Politicians owe it to the voters to make the case, and I hope I’m able to do that for all of you. Additionally, I’m going to listen to what concerns you have, like getting out of Vietnam and expanding on what we did in New York, giving students a second chance to go to college.

Question: What’s your opinion on the recent infighting in the Democratic Party?

On one hand, we’re all learning how to navigate this new primary system. On the other we need to keep our eye on the prize, making Nixon a one term President. I think there’s room to criticize candidates we disagree with, but we have to keep in mind we share a goal. I would be interested to hear more of my colleagues talking about integration for example.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies