Where've You Gone, General Washington?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 08:56:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Where've You Gone, General Washington?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9
Author Topic: Where've You Gone, General Washington?  (Read 48248 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: May 20, 2012, 08:46:42 PM »

It would be ironic if it was Burr vs Hamilton for President.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #101 on: May 20, 2012, 09:00:45 PM »

^.  Also, great update, Catcon
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #102 on: May 20, 2012, 09:26:28 PM »

More like planned. Wink
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #103 on: May 26, 2012, 10:27:06 AM »

List of Vice President of the United States

1. John Rutledge (None-South Carolina) April 30th, 1789-March 4th, 1793
2. Thomas Jefferson (Republican-Virginia) March 4th, 1793-March 4th, 1797
3. Samuel Adams (Republican-Massachusetts) March 4th, 1797-March 4th, 1801
4. Aaron Burr (Republican-New York) March 4th, 1801-?

List of United States Senators from Virginia (Class 1)
William Grayson (Anti-Administration) March 4th, 1789-March 12th, 1790
Thomas Jefferson (Republican) December 6th, 1790-March 1st, 1793
James Madison (Republican) March 22nd, 1793-May 3rd, 1797

Bushrod Washington (National) May 19th, 1797-?

March 4th, 1801:
As well, the 7th Congress convenes for the first time. Republicans hold significant numbers in both the House and the Senate and the Nationals have met the low point of their power, especially since the scandal in Connecticut.

March 5th, 1801:
On the first full day of his second term, Navy Secretary John Quincy Adams confides with the President that as soon as the war is complete, and it is looking to be within the year, he shall be resigning his position as Secretary of the Navy.

April 9th, 1801:
President Jefferson reads aloud a letter, distributed to the three powers of the Trenion Treaty, to his cabinet. In it, Great Britain is willing to come to negotiations with the three powers following a string of losses not only in the Americas, but in Europe as well. Secretary of Foreign Affairs James Madison will be heading to Paris immediately to engage in such discussions. There he will be meeting Spanish King Charles IV, and Napoleon Bonaparte who has risen from a general to become de facto leader of the French Directory.

April 30th, 1801:
The election for Governor of New York is held. While Governor Hamilton hadn't intended on running for a second term, the state of New York is still experiencing economic trouble and need for reconstruction of infrastructure and buildings, and the Governor allows himself to be put up for election a second time. That said, Governor Hamilton is re-elected by a large margin to his office.

May 10th, 1801:
Tripoli declares war on the United States, cutting down the flagpole at the consulate.

May 21st, 1801:
In the conclusion to a long and drawn out affair, the case of the State of Connecticut v. the United States is brought before the Supreme Court. With Attorney General James Monroe heading the prosecution, it is clear this case is one of great importance.

May 27th, 1801:
Secretary of Foreign Affairs James Madison arrives in Paris, meeting with King Charles and Director Bonaparte. While an official meeting place has not been set for the negotiations, there are talks of using Paris, London, or the Hague.

June 11th, 1801:
The case of The State of Connecticut vs. the United States is decided after a small amount of deliberation, and the decision is unanimous in favor of the plaintiff. With the former Governor John Treadwell and a number of State Senators now being formally tried for treason, they are sentenced, not to hanging, but to lifetime imprisonment. Such a change in the usual punishment is at the urging of President Jefferson to the court. In private he explained that a severe punishment could result in a much slower reconstruction period for Connecticut.

June 12th, 1801:
Riots break out in the state of Connecticut, still under reconstruction. While Governor Granger had urged the court not to decide the court case until after reconstruction, but it could not be changed.

June 14th, 1801:
Federal troops are forced to put down the riots. The last three days have been costly to hopes for Connecticut's full rejoining to the union.

July 4th, 1801:
The 25th Anniversary of the Revolution, President Jefferson's address to Congress--read aloud by Vice President Aaron Burr--is especially long, reflecting on the fight for liberty not only in America, but in France and Spain against England, and with American troops fighting in Canada.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #104 on: May 26, 2012, 02:35:26 PM »
« Edited: May 28, 2012, 09:19:49 PM by His Rotundity, the Duke of Braintree »

July 20th, 1801:
U.S. Secretary of Foreign Affairs James Madison, Spanish Secretary of State Pedro Guerra, and French Director Napoleon Bonaparte at last have their first meeting with British Envoy Extraordinary Robert Liston, who has been appointed to head negotiations with the Trenion Pact. The meeting takes place in the neutral Holland, using the small nation's capital, the Hague, as their location to negotiate.

July 27th, 1801:
Meeting again, and for the first time settling into negotiations over the war, Madison is surprised that Prime Minister Tierney and his government have been willing to agree to the terms presented. In them, the United States shall receive parts of Southern Canada in exchange for peace. Meanwhile, France must stay within its borders and will receive no further attacks from monarchistic regimes. Finally, Spain shall be left alone in Florida and the British shall confine themselves to their Caribbean Islands and Canada. Prime Minister Tierney's reasoning had been that "Once again, the Tories have led us down the path of costly and un-necessary war. It is time for Great Britain to pull back, regroup, and be confined to trade and commerce."

August 1st, 1801:
In the Medditarranean Sea, the USS Enterprise defeats the Tripolitan ship in a fierce battle. Such violence has been the result of Tripolitan demands for tribute.

August 11th, 1801:
Connecticut finally fulfills its obligations in the 25% Plan. Elections for Governor and State Senate will be held in September.

September 8th, 1801:
In the election for Governor, former Comptroller of the Treasury Oliver Wolcott Jr. is elected Governor. A National, he is nonetheless one that was completely unconnected with the secession crisis a year ago and is loyal to his country.

September 25th, 1801:
Negotiations in Holland conclude between Great  Britain, the United States, France, and Spain. It is a diplomatic triumph for the Jefferson Administration and will, if successful, increase the size of the United States by a large margin.

October 3rd, 1801:
With negotiations at The Hague having concluded, Secretary Madison writes to the President that he shall be coming home soon, with a new peace treaty in hand.

November 14th, 1801:
Jefferson receives the letter from Madison. With Navy Secretary John Adams having said that he will leave office upon the end of the war, Adams revises his promise: Come January 1st, 1802, Adams will be resigning his post.

November 18th, 1801:
Secretary of Foreign Affairs Madison arrives home with the newly minted Hague Treaty in hand.

November 19th, 1801:
Madison meets with President Jefferson, allowing him to look over the full text of the Hague Treaty. Glad that America has seen such a turn in luck, he gladly states that, should the treaty pass the Senate, he'd be glad to sign his name to it.

December 7th, 1801:
On the first day of the new session of Congress, President Jefferson appoints Captain Thomas Truxtun, a naval hero of the War of 1799 and of the Barbary Wars, is appointed to be the new Secretary of the Navy. While some of the former "Radical Republican" faction oppose the appointment of another National to the position, Truxtun is experienced in naval affairs, and with mainstream Republicans and all Nationalists approving the confirmation, the confirmation shall be fairly easy.

As well, the Hague Treaty is presented to the Senate for the first time. With both Nationals and Republicans favoring national expansion, it is likely to be ratified early in the beginning of the upcoming year.

December 9th, 1801:
In order to create a system where confusions like the election of 1800-1801 don't occur, an amendment is proposed in Congress where, if ratified, it will have electors vote once for President and once for Vice President, instead of twice for President. Thus making the idea of an electoral tie much less possible, American democracy would be much more stable. With tensions having risen since Burr seemingly tried to depose President Jefferson, this is seen as much needed.

December 31st, 1801:
Secretary John Quincy Adams, on his last full day in office, writes a letter to his father about the great relief he has in stepping down from his position as head of the Navy during a time of war, but at the same time, the sense of gratitude and accomplishment he feels in having commanded the Navy in a time where the country must be defended.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #105 on: May 26, 2012, 10:38:10 PM »

First of all I love this timeline.  Secondly the capital in this timeline is literally 20 minutes from my house roughly around where the town of Nanjemoy is located which is known locally as the most podunk of redneck areas.  Just thought some people might get a kick out of that.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #106 on: May 27, 2012, 09:25:34 AM »

First of all I love this timeline.  Secondly the capital in this timeline is literally 20 minutes from my house roughly around where the town of Nanjemoy is located which is known locally as the most podunk of redneck areas.  Just thought some people might get a kick out of that.

1. Thanks!

2. Haha, although I bet it's switched around in this tl's 2012. Wink
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #107 on: May 27, 2012, 05:35:57 PM »

1. Thanks!

Probably right there.  When do you think you will have your next update ready?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #108 on: May 27, 2012, 07:57:18 PM »

1. Thanks!

Eh, probably not til next weekend at the earliest.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #109 on: May 28, 2012, 02:12:47 PM »

1. Thanks!

Sad
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #110 on: May 28, 2012, 08:44:36 PM »

1. Thanks!

Sad

I'm not made of time! Finals is in a week! Then I've got crap the first three or so weeks of summer! Not every second is devoted to researching the year 1802!
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #111 on: May 28, 2012, 08:45:29 PM »

The above post was half sarcastic. I wasn't angry, I was just "speaking" loudly when writing it.

Anyway, what're all you opinions of Adams and Jefferson Presidencies so far and are there any Presidents you'd like to see in the future?
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #112 on: May 28, 2012, 08:51:07 PM »

The above post was half sarcastic. I wasn't angry, I was just "speaking" loudly when writing it.

Anyway, what're all you opinions of Adams and Jefferson Presidencies so far and are there any Presidents you'd like to see in the future?

I know Wink.  Both are good, and put me down for Rufus King, Q. Adams, Jackson, Van Buren, Polk, Tilden, Cleveland, Coolidge, and Pete Wilson presidencies Wink.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #113 on: May 28, 2012, 08:54:52 PM »

I know Wink.  Both are good, and put me down for Rufus King, Q. Adams, Jackson, Van Buren, Polk, Tilden, Cleveland, Coolidge, and Pete Wilson presidencies Wink.

Adams and maybe Van Buren are on "the list", Polk and King not sure about, and for Tilden onwards, all that's up in the air.

Also, look forward to a president who shares my last name. Wink (if you know what that is, if not, ask 20RP12)
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #114 on: May 28, 2012, 08:58:22 PM »

I know Wink.  Both are good, and put me down for Rufus King, Q. Adams, Jackson, Van Buren, Polk, Tilden, Cleveland, Coolidge, and Pete Wilson presidencies Wink.

Adams and maybe Van Buren are on "the list", Polk and King not sure about, and for Tilden onwards, all that's up in the air.

Also, look forward to a president who shares my last name. Wink (if you know what that is, if not, ask 20RP12)

K.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #115 on: May 29, 2012, 02:33:55 PM »

I'd like to see a President Sam Houston or Daniel Boone.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #116 on: May 29, 2012, 02:52:08 PM »

I'd like to see a President Sam Houston or Daniel Boone.

Ah, good choices, both! I'll be seeing what I can do with them. Houston will take part in the forming of a new party, I'm planning, sometime in the 1860's. Should it pan out that way, you'll see what I mean.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #117 on: May 29, 2012, 03:04:14 PM »

I'm wondering about the format. Shoudl I stick with this, or go with more of a textbook format in order for it to be easier to write? I'd like to stay consistent, but my style is by default in textbook.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #118 on: May 29, 2012, 10:35:34 PM »

I'm wondering about the format. Shoudl I stick with this, or go with more of a textbook format in order for it to be easier to write? I'd like to stay consistent, but my style is by default in textbook.

You can do textbook if it means more/quicker updates Wink
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #119 on: June 05, 2012, 03:05:14 PM »
« Edited: June 15, 2012, 03:18:11 PM by The good Dr. Thompson »

Im'a edit more into this in a few.

January 1st, 1802:
New Secretary of the Navy Thomas Truxton is sworn in and the outgoing secretary, John Quincy Adams hands over his authority. Adams is planning on returning to Braintree and while he has no real wish to continue in politics, preferring his private practice, he will find a number of Bay Staters hoping for him to run for higher office in the future.

January 6th, 1802:
Former Navy Secretary John Quincy Adams settles into a private law firm in the middle of Boston. His status as a national hero in his own rite and as the son of the President is quite helpful in regaining legal contacts lost during his time abroad and in the government's service.

February 24th, 1802:
The Hague Treaty is, following a slow process, confirmed by a large margin. This means that America has acquired vast new lands to the North, and its first territorial gain since the Treaty of Paris.

The new United States
Blue-Treaty of Paris, 1783
Red-Treaty of the Hague, 1802

February 27th, 1802:
In accordance with the Hague Treaty, the Embargo Act is unanimously repealed by both the House and the Senate in a show of national unity and the move of America from a wartime nation to a peacetime nation.

March 16th, 1802:
The university at West Point is established.

April 5th, 1802:
On election day in Massachusetts, three-term Governor Elbridge Gerry is re-elected to what wil be his fourth and final term as Governor. In other elections, John Quincy Adams fins himself, much to his disgruntlement, elected to the State Senate. Nevertheless, knowing his duty, he consents to being sworn in.

Governor Elbridge Gerry (National) 63%
Former Congressman James Sullivan (Republican) 37%

April 20th, 1802:
The territories of Ontario and Quebec are established. The Ontario Territory is to the North of the North-West Territory and its northern border is defined by the Ottawa River. Quebec lies North of New York and New England and its norther border is the St. Lawrence River. William Hull is appointed 1st Governor of the Quebec Territory and Secretary of the North-West William Clark is appointed Governor of the Ontario Territory. Clark, a war hero who spent the most time commanding troops in Canada, is best suited to deal with Ontario.

William Hull--first Governor of the Quebec Territory

April 30th, 1802:
The Enabling Act of 1802 is passed, allowing residents of the eastern portion of the North-West Territory to form the State of Ohio. This sets precedent for future induction of states into the Union.

May 29th, 1802:
John Quincy Adams is sworn into the Massachusetts State Senate. His great legal mind and experience in the service of the Federal Government are seen as plusses, but his time away from Massachusetts is not.

June 8th, 1802:
William Clark takes office in York, the capitol of the Ottawa Territory. The territory is populated mainly by bitter Native Americans and British citizens. He will have to work to civilize his territory and make it more hospitable to American settlers. This will include setting up trading posts and roads. Luckily, the area has already been somewhat settled which will make his job easier.

July 4th, 1802:
President Jefferson's annual address is one of triumph as it addresses the United States victory in the War of 1799. With American acquisitions in Canada and newfound peace, there is much to be happy about. Meanwhile, the university of West Point is unveiled and opened.

Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #120 on: June 05, 2012, 08:39:38 PM »

Awesome
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #121 on: June 06, 2012, 08:13:55 PM »
« Edited: June 07, 2012, 02:20:25 PM by The good Dr. Thompson »

September 19th, 1802:
In Ontario, in every town square, the Governor's order is delivered, that when 60,000 citizens take loyalty oaths to become citizens of the United State--assuming they are not already citizens--the state will be inducted to the United States as a fully voting state. While a number of residents are embittered at the United States for their seizure of territory, many will decide to accept the way things are or move out. With American fur trappers arriving and roads now under construction, Governor Clark intends on ushering in statehood for Ottawa as soon as possible.

November 1st, 1802:
Delegates meet in Chillicothe in the North-West Territory and decide to form a constitution for the newly forming state of Ohio. Among the delegates are William Cheighton, Thomas Worthington, and Edward Tiffin.

November 29th, 1802:
Ohio is inducted as a state, making it the 17th state in the Union.

December 6th, 1802:
Governors William Hull and William Clark appear before the Senate requesting the passage of a Canadian Development Act, entailing the appropriations for road construction and other pieces of infrastructure. Other measures, such as the creation of territory militias, are overseen by the governors themselves.

December 25th, 1802:
Christmas for the Adamses in Braintree is a happy one. Former President Adams, long retired, is happy (though part of him resents the praise that seems to be continually heaped on Jefferson) to be with his entire growing family, and happy as well with the fact that his eldest, John Quincy, is holding a seat in the Massachusetts State Senate and will likely be elected to the U.S. Senate next year.

January 19th, 1803:
The Canadian Development Act is formally introduced to the House of Representatives by freshmen, Senator Isaac Shelby (R-KY) and Congressman William Chamberlain (N-VT). Being of the West and the North respectively, they are of the two regions most in support of developing American-Canada and see it as a regional ally of sorts.

February 17th, 1803:
State Senator from 1st District John Quincy Adams is elected to the United States Senate by a comfortable margin. A number of his colleagues are nonetheless happy to see the un-appeasing John Quincy pushed out of their Senate and into the national Senate. "His stubbornness will serve him better when we're not the ones asking him for favors", whispers one Senate.

February 19th, 1803:
President Jefferson signs an act of Congress approving Ohio's borders and constitution.

February 22nd 1803:
The Canadian Development Act is signed into law by the President. Despite protests from "High Nationals"--members of the party located in New England who are ardently against expansion--and "Radical Republicans", the act passed thanks to a coalition of more nationalistic and newer members of both parties.

March 1st, 1803:
While no official date for the admission of Ohio as the 17th state, this date is set retroactively as today.

March 3rd, 1803:
Edward Tiffin, one of Ohio's leaders and the President of its Constitutional Convention, is sworn in as the first Governor of Ohio.

March 4th, 1803:
The first session of the 8th Congress of the United States commences. Among new faces are Senator John Quincy Adams (N-MA) and Congressman Meriwether Lewis (R-VA-5) who was recently elected to replace retiring Representative John J. Trigg. Lewis served as a member of the military in the Legion of the United States, the Virginia Militia, and the National Army, as well as having served as an important aide to President Jefferson (1797-1798, 1801). Among the departing are Senator Bushrod Washington (N-VA), the nephew of the late General Washington, who had been elected to finish Madison's term when he resigned to become Secretary of Foreign Affairs. All in all, Nationals have made gains for the first time since 1792, and despite Jefferson's popularity, it appears fatigue may be setting in.

Senate Balance of Power
President: Aaron Burr (R-NY)
President Pro Tempore: Stephen R. Bradley (R-VT)
Republicans: 19
Nationals: 15

House Balance of Power
Speaker: Nathaniel Macon (R-NC)
Republicans: 81
Nationals: 60
Vacant: 1

Freshman Congressman Meriwether Lewis (R-VA-5)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #122 on: June 12, 2012, 09:51:59 PM »

April 30th, 1803:
President Thomas Jefferson receives a letter forwarded by Ambassador to France William Short explaining that France would be willing to negotiate the sale of the Louisiana Territory which they are soon to receive from Spain later in the year.

May 2nd, 1803:
Meeting Secretary of Foreign Affairs James Madison, the President shows him the news from France and tells him to prepare to leave soon and meet with Short as well as French Minister of Foreign Affairs Talleyrand to negotiate the purchase. He also prepares a letter back to Short telling him of their plans.

May 17th, 1803:
Secretary of Foreign Affairs Madison leaves for France to negotiate the purchase of Louisiana.

June 20th, 1803:
Ambassador Short receives Jefferson's letter and is ecstatic. He relays the information back to Councilor Napoleon and Minister Talleyrand who are both happy.

July 3rd, 1803:
Secretary Madison arrives in Paris and immediately meets Ambassador Short. With Napoleon informed of his arrival, the American diplomats will be granted an audience with him soon.

July 4th, 1803:
With the nation having experienced over a full year of peace, and with the economy continuing on its course and no major legislation in the works, the President's annual address to Congress is brief. Being cautious, Jefferson chooses not to mention--yet--negotiations to purchase Louisiana.

July 6th, 1803:
Ambassador William Short and Secretary James Madison meet together with Minister Talleyrand for the first time and negotiations commence. While nothing is immediate, issues such as price and the date of transfer are discussed.

French Minister of Foreign Affairs Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Périgord

September 10th, 1803:
Negotiations in Paris conclude with Madison, Short, Talleyrand, and Napoleon placing their signatures on a document that sells the entire Louisiana Territory for roughly $15 million, American. It is the biggest land gain in the nation's short history and will surely meet with awe in the states. Thus the Louisiana Purchase has been made.

September 30th, 1803:
Tennessee becomes the last state necessary to ratify the 12th Amendment to the United States Constitution which changes the election of Presidents from one that has each elector voting twice for President to a system where electors vote once for President and one for Vice President.

October 17th, 1803:
The Candian Homestead Act is proposed in the House of Representatives. Supported by moderate Republicans and Nationals alike, it agrees to sell land in the Canadian Territories at a premium so as to encourage settlement. With both Ontario and Quebec gaining more and more registered citizens by the day, it is believed both will become states in time for the next Presidential election.

October 22nd, 1803:
Jefferson receives news that the agreement has been made and is ecstatic.

November 7th, 1803:
Having passed both Houses of Congress, President Jefferson signs the Canadian Homestead Act. On the same day, Secretary of Foreign Affairs James Madison arrives home with the complete text of the Louisiana Purchase to present it to the Senate.

November 12th, 1803:
Following an address before the Senate on his experience in France and on the Louisiana Purchase, Secretary Madison confides with the President that he is tired of trips abroad and would appreciate an assignment to something more domestic, such as a court appointment. Ambassador Short, who has accompanied Madison to D.C., is longing for home and is looking to advance his career.

December 12th, 1803:
Upon confirmation of Short's successor as Ambassador to France, Robert Livingston, Short steps down from his position and prepares to move back to Virginia.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #123 on: June 13, 2012, 08:15:46 AM »

Once again a great update!
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #124 on: June 13, 2012, 12:36:44 PM »

More's on the way, when I get back to my computer. All of 1804, minus a couple things I have to add.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies