How many computer programmers does society actually need? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 08:36:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  How many computer programmers does society actually need? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How many computer programmers does society actually need?  (Read 10975 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« on: April 28, 2017, 06:37:17 AM »

This got too esoteric for me, but I guess I'd start out by saying that not "literally everyone" is being pushed to be retrained to deal with information technology (hate the term "IT" as it makes me imagine the overweight guy that runs the computer lab). If you look at scammy, three month-old occupational colleges right now, computer & information systems programs are going to end up right alongside healthcare and (of course) business administration.

That said, with regards to your disappointment expressed below...
I'm appalled that I have to spell this out, but what I meant was "if we as a people were making honest choices about what society, qua society, should orient itself around, would we really decide that computers and IT should be the only real growth industry, into which everybody else should be 'retrained'?"
Presuming that your premise vis-a-vis "retraining" is true, your usage of terms such as "qua" indicates that this discussion probably ought to land on the Philosophy & Religion Board, and that, this being an economics board, these "neoliberals" answered the question in such a fashion.

That said, obviously, if we consider the implications of Eclipse of Reason, the contemporary "IT" fetish is going to lead straight to Nazism, so be warned.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies