Presbyterian Church Of Scotland OK's Gay Ministers (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 12:11:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Presbyterian Church Of Scotland OK's Gay Ministers (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Presbyterian Church Of Scotland OK's Gay Ministers  (Read 1455 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: May 23, 2013, 03:52:21 AM »

In short the policy allows liberal kirks to opt out of the policy rather than change the policy. It’s a compromise. I’m not sure how many presbyteries have to vote in favour for it to pass in 2015 but there are still a minority who will vote no and it may still scupper it. Liberal presbyteries are unsiprisingly more tolerant and open to compromise and as with the CofE often end up with nothing.

Ironically those who will vote no are the same sort of presbyteries that usually petition the Assembly for the same sort of compromise on other matters. They don't usually like centralised decisions. They threaten to leave but really don’t have the money or the clout to do so. The most vocal kirk St George’s Tron in Glasgow, which in the end became nothing more than a personal vehicle for it’s own minister, left last year. They tried to take the multi million pound recently refurbished (with public money) Georgian church with them but the Church of Scotland said it was their property. A new minister was placed in the kirk and it continues. The attendance at the breakaway church has subsequently dwindled. The Church of Scotland had only 25 applications to minister in 2012. Only 16 were accepted which is below the replacement rate for those minsters who are close to retirement.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 02:53:28 PM »

at least as long as they don't push their lifestyle on me or others

What does that even mean? I hear this all the time, and I've never understood why it's a concern.
I mean that I don't want them telling me that I should be homosexual or that homosexuality is morally acceptable, when some may consider it to be immoral.
*Facepalm* Questions of its "morality" aside, what the f--k is the motivation behind the idea that we're always out and about trying to convince straight people to become gay?

It seems to be a fear ugly men have more than attractive men Smiley
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies