Elizabeth Warren 2020 campaign megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 02:46:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Elizabeth Warren 2020 campaign megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 79
Author Topic: Elizabeth Warren 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 133038 times)
538Electoral

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: December 31, 2018, 10:20:18 PM »

I agree with a lot that she really wouldn't be a good candidate whatsoever.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #101 on: December 31, 2018, 10:23:50 PM »

She be a great president, but a bad candidate.Her and Cory Booker are, I think the easiest for Trump to beat.

Great President, Bad Candidate. Which is a shame, as I really do think would have the capacity to be among the Greats.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #102 on: December 31, 2018, 10:28:20 PM »

What would become of her Senate seat?
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #103 on: December 31, 2018, 10:35:01 PM »

The problem is that she took the bait.

You don't defeat Trump by taking his bait and hoping you can sling it back, you defeat him by making him collapse on himself either by his own sword or by feeding him bait.

If she hadn't done that stunt with the test, she would have been my pick.

iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #104 on: December 31, 2018, 10:38:42 PM »

The problem is that she took the bait.

You don't defeat Trump by taking his bait and hoping you can sling it back, you defeat him by making him collapse on himself either by his own sword or by feeding him bait.

If she hadn't done that stunt with the test, she would have been my pick.

I have to wonder if she couldn't just pivot hard by saying 'Let's focus on the issues Donald, not these silly games' and make him look like a fool. Overall, if you liked Warren before, I don't think that's a very good reason not to pick her. I wasn't too hot on her at first tbh mostly because of the atlas chatter about her being a 'weak candidate' but honestly after watching her announcement video, I quite like her a bit more and plan to give her an open look.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #105 on: December 31, 2018, 10:46:27 PM »

Republicans would take it thanks to Gov. Baker !
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #106 on: December 31, 2018, 10:48:18 PM »

I really, really don't think Massachusetts would elect Baker to a Senate seat, and he knows this.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #107 on: December 31, 2018, 10:57:06 PM »

Imagine taking this absolute psychopath seriously. One of the most unhinged Twitter posters I've ever come across.

Democrats will use their supermajority to pass a law that will take away interim Senate appointment power from the Governor. They did it in 2004 to take away the power from Romney to replace Kerry, and after Patrick won the Governorship, immediately gave that power back to him.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #108 on: December 31, 2018, 10:57:37 PM »

She will unquestionably have the single best platform of all Democratic candidates.
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #109 on: December 31, 2018, 11:11:47 PM »

She will unquestionably have the single best platform of all Democratic candidates.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I am certainly leaning closer to a Warren endorsement than I ever have before; but I'm going to hold off for a few weeks. Let's see where everyone else position themselves.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #110 on: December 31, 2018, 11:25:08 PM »

I really, really don't think Massachusetts would elect Baker to a Senate seat, and he knows this.

I believe Shadows was referring to Baker's ability to appoint an interim Senator to the seat for a few months while the special election campaign is conducted... or rather, his current ability, anyway, b/c...

Democrats will use their supermajority to pass a law that will take away interim Senate appointment power from the Governor. They did it in 2004 to take away the power from Romney to replace Kerry, and after Patrick won the Governorship, immediately gave that power back to him.

Oh, & as for the winner of that special election, it would 100% be Joe Kennedy (presuming, of course, that Markey doesn't retire in 2020 & Kennedy opts to go for that seat instead).
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #111 on: December 31, 2018, 11:25:15 PM »

That's a good video, and I'll be happy to vote for her in November 2020 if she's somehow the nominee, but let's get real - she's an awful candidate (at least against Trump) and one of the most likely Democrats to blow what should be a very winnable election.
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #112 on: January 01, 2019, 12:20:37 AM »

That's a good video, and I'll be happy to vote for her in November 2020 if she's somehow the nominee, but let's get real - she's an awful candidate (at least against Trump) and one of the most likely Democrats to blow what should be a very winnable election.

Just out of curiosity, which states exactly do you think she would underperform in vs. say, Kamala Harris.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #113 on: January 01, 2019, 12:44:15 AM »

Just out of curiosity, which states exactly do you think she would underperform in vs. say, Kamala Harris.

Arizona for one, and likely Florida as well.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #114 on: January 01, 2019, 03:18:40 AM »

I watched the video, and the message in it was pretty powerful and appealed to me imo. If she can stick to an economically populist message, while also making clear that class is not the only issue(as Bernie failed to do), she could do well. However sadly given the quality of the media and the lack of focus on policy in elections she seems likely to struggle(though given the size of the field almost everyone is likely to struggle), and her electability remains a big question mark.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #115 on: January 01, 2019, 03:20:52 AM »

Her policy positions are almost as progressive as those of Bernie Sanders, but I suspect that she may be more prone to committing unforced errors than Sanders, which might hurt her.
The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -5.43

P P
« Reply #116 on: January 01, 2019, 11:04:36 AM »

Arizona for one, and likely Florida as well.

I would certainly add NC, VA, and NV to that list as well. (Although I’d don’t doubt that she would still win the latter two, they would be closer races than they would be if Harris was the nominee.)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #117 on: January 01, 2019, 02:27:31 PM »

Warren isn't wasting any time getting on the campaign trail.  She'll have multiple events in Iowa this coming weekend:

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/politics/2019/01/01/elizabeth-warren-2020-president-iowa-caucus-exploratory-committee-running-campaign-election/2454310002/

Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #118 on: January 01, 2019, 02:35:55 PM »

Only for a few months.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #119 on: January 01, 2019, 02:35:56 PM »

Her policy positions are almost as progressive as those of Bernie Sanders, but I suspect that she may be more prone to committing unforced errors than Sanders, which might hurt her.

Both have gaffe potential but can we stop pretending somehow Bernie "when you're white you don't know what it's like to be poor" Sanders never says anything monumentally dumb and damaging?
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #120 on: January 01, 2019, 05:05:44 PM »

How do you know what he thinks, can you read his mind? The truth is he can win, but ignorant hacks like you would probably get a heart attack by the tought of Massachusetts electing a republican for senate, so you guys make up dumb excuses while talking about flipping ultra-red states like Kansas, Montana, Texas etc,,.
I am 100% certain Baker would make this race competitive.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #121 on: January 01, 2019, 05:08:58 PM »

How do you know what he thinks, can you read his mind? The truth is he can win, but ignorant hacks like you would probably get a heart attack by the tought of Massachusetts electing a republican for senate, so you guys make up dumb excuses while talking about flipping ultra-red states like Kansas, Montana, Texas etc,,.

Go for it, guys. Why wouldn't Republicans have their own Phil Bredesen?
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #122 on: January 01, 2019, 05:09:46 PM »

Go for it, guys. Why wouldn't Republicans have their own Phil Bredesen?

Not in today's political environment, and not with Trump as president for 1000% sure.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #123 on: January 01, 2019, 05:10:50 PM »

Wasn't Warren a registered Republican till mid 90s? Did she support Reagan the person who literally waged a war on poor people & encouraged racial polarization.

Her platform is good but unattainable. Public Option for Drugs is not just unimplementable but would violate multiple international norms of trade. Warren wasn't even supporting Universal Healthcare a year or so back but now is trying to suddenly come up with half a dozen policies to gather the Sanders' space. She will have to explain everything including her support for the military industrial complex & 700B $ in defence budget & so on.
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #124 on: January 01, 2019, 05:11:55 PM »

Lol no. This isn’t 2010.

Also, btw, we already flipped Kansas and Montana, we’re not ‘talkinng’ about it. ( ;
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies