What states do you consider urban and what states are rural?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 07:09:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  What states do you consider urban and what states are rural?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What states do you consider urban and what states are rural?  (Read 711 times)
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 31, 2020, 07:47:45 PM »

We often hear a lot about the urban-rural divide, and how it's growing alongside polarization. So my question is, what states are actually urban and which are rural? I feel like according to this forum, too many states are urban (CA, WA, OR, NV, AZ, TX, CO, UT, MT, MN, WI, IL, IN, MO, MI, OH, PA, NY, NJ, MA, RI, CT, DC, VA, NC, GA, SC, FL)
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2020, 07:52:14 PM »

Well a lot of those states are urban. The lack of a major metropolis doesn't make a state rural. If there are a large number of medium-sized cities and big towns that form the bulk of state's population, plus lots of suburbs, a state is urban imo. I'd only consider a state rural if a large part or a majority of the state's population literally live in villages and small towns, ala West Virginia or Maine. As you may know, there simply aren't a lot of places like that in America anymore. We are a very urbanized country.

Red is a mostly urban state, green mostly rural
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2020, 08:00:16 PM »

Hard to really say. The US Census definition is urban is a bit too broad since it includes settlements with as little as 2,500 people.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2020, 08:13:14 PM »

The northern New England states, upper Great Plains states, Alaska, and West Virginia.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2021, 01:20:27 PM »

Urban: NJ, NY, MD, DE, MA, CT, RI, NV, CA, OR, WA, AZ, UT, CO, NM (to some extent), KS (to some extent), TX, MN (the Twin Cities and suburbs compose about half the state's population alone), MI, OH, IL, VA (though it's more suburban in some ways), GA, NC, FL, AK (look at Anchorage), HI (in some ways).

Rural: ID (kind of - the Boise area is expanding and soon ID will be a split, but right now it isn't quite), MT, WY, ND, SD, NE, OK, MO, IA (arguably the most stereotypically rural state along with those in the Great Plains), KY, LA, AR, TN, MS, AL, IN, WV.

There are probably a few I forgot. (Obviously I skipped some states, because not all are fully 'urban' or fully 'rural', SC among them, but I might have forgotten some urban states and some rural states in this list.)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies