Welfare Reform Bill 2009 (On the President's Desk)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 01:31:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Welfare Reform Bill 2009 (On the President's Desk)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: Welfare Reform Bill 2009 (On the President's Desk)  (Read 13086 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: August 25, 2009, 04:36:30 PM »

This bill is garbage, Nay.

I'm sad that election season distracted everyone from actual legislating.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #101 on: August 25, 2009, 05:10:15 PM »

NAY
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #102 on: August 25, 2009, 11:22:12 PM »

Nay
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #103 on: August 26, 2009, 08:40:21 AM »

Aye
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #104 on: August 27, 2009, 04:52:41 PM »

Aye
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #105 on: August 27, 2009, 08:31:31 PM »

This bill has enough votes to pass. Senators now have 24 hours to change their votes.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #106 on: August 27, 2009, 08:33:57 PM »

I hope we can work on Amendments to this again in the next session since apparently the entire Senate went on a vacation in this last week or so.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #107 on: August 27, 2009, 10:51:02 PM »

I hope we can work on Amendments to this again in the next session since apparently the entire Senate went on a vacation in this last week or so.

Agreed, this bill is very meh-inspiring IMO.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #108 on: August 29, 2009, 07:16:09 AM »

With 6 Ayes, 3 Nays and 0 Abstentions this bill has passed. I hereby present it to the President for his signature.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #109 on: September 02, 2009, 07:24:09 PM »

After much thought, I must unfortunately VETO this piece of legislation. I believe that it unfairly stigmatizes unemployment and hardship, and some of the measures, specifically the requirement to do volunteer service, make the unemployed or those Atlasians who have fallen on to hard times into criminals. Nonetheless, there are parts of this bill I support, and, if my veto is not overridden, I'd encourage and would be willing to work with the Senate on passing a bill that increases funding for vocational training programs, as I believe that is very important. I hope the Senate understands my reasons for this veto.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #110 on: September 02, 2009, 08:23:22 PM »

I hope that we can just let this veto stand and then re-do this bill in the next session. No one really likes this bill and there's a fair bit we should change.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #111 on: September 02, 2009, 08:44:05 PM »

I hope that we can just let this veto stand and then re-do this bill in the next session. No one really likes this bill and there's a fair bit we should change.

I doubt it could happen before the end of the term, so I imagine that this will be the case.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #112 on: September 03, 2009, 12:22:28 PM »

After much thought, I must unfortunately VETO this piece of legislation. I believe that it unfairly stigmatizes unemployment and hardship, and some of the measures, specifically the requirement to do volunteer service, make the unemployed or those Atlasians who have fallen on to hard times into criminals. Nonetheless, there are parts of this bill I support, and, if my veto is not overridden, I'd encourage and would be willing to work with the Senate on passing a bill that increases funding for vocational training programs, as I believe that is very important. I hope the Senate understands my reasons for this veto.

I hope that the President is aware that vetoing this bill does nothing to help establish a workable welfare policy and encourage people to find jobs. We have no welfare policy. I also strongly object to his notion that 'voluntary work' makes the unemployed 'like criminals'; such a comparison is greatly offensive to the thousands if not millions of employed and unemployed Atlasians who undertake voluntary work for the benefit of their families and their communities.

To give the unemployed the chance to do something is important for their dignity. At present (as the longstanding Welfare Bill this legislation was based on was overturned) they are simply given handouts. There are no opportunities for work. No opportunities for training. The state, legislatively does nothing for them other than give them a cheque and hope they fend for themselves.

The President has, will all due respect just left the unemployed and those looking for work at the mercy of the market.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies