Who can not love Laura? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 08:37:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Who can not love Laura? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who can not love Laura?  (Read 1852 times)
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« on: May 01, 2005, 03:41:59 AM »

WASHINGTON - First lady Laura Bush stole the show with a surprise comedy routine that ripped President Bush and brought an audience that included much of official Washington and a dash of Hollywood to a standing ovation at a dinner honoring award-winning journalists.

advertisement

The president began a speech late Saturday at the 91st annual White House Correspondents’ Association dinner, but was quickly “interrupted” by his wife in an obviously planned ploy.

“Not that old joke, not again,” she said to the delight of the audience. “I’ve been attending these dinners for years and just quietly sitting there. I’ve got a few things I want to say for a change.”

The president sat down and she proceeded to note that he is “usually in bed by now” and said she told him recently, “If you really want to end tyranny in the world, you’re going to have to stay up later.”

She outlined a typical evening: “Nine o’clock, Mr. Excitement here is sound asleep and I’m watching ‘Desperate Housewives’.” Comedic pause. “With Lynne Cheney. Ladies and gentlemen, I am a desperate housewife.”

The line earned particularly rambunctious applause from the area of the Hilton Washington hotel ballroom where actor James Denton from the hit ABC show sat.

Laura Bush added that she and her husband obviously were destined to be together as a couple because “I was the librarian who spent 12 hours a day in the library and yet somehow I met George.”

The guest professional comedian, Cedric the Entertainer, next came to the microphone to deliver one-liners, but not before conceding the first lady was a hard act to follow.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies