Dartmouth Students Storm President's Offices, Seriousness of Demands Unclear (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 05:01:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Dartmouth Students Storm President's Offices, Seriousness of Demands Unclear (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Dartmouth Students Storm President's Offices, Seriousness of Demands Unclear  (Read 14098 times)
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« on: April 07, 2014, 05:10:30 PM »

Several thoughts about this since I lived this 20 years ago.  I attended Yale back in the early 1990s and there was a battle back then around PC (political correctness).  The list of demands on the Dartmouth list seems very similar to the radical PC demands back then as well.

1) If what I saw at Yale is any guide, many of these student activists will graduate, work for investment banks/hedge funds/law firms, buy a house in the suburbs, have children and then vote GOP in their 40s.
2) There were a lot of racial polarization on campuses like Yale and other Ivies which I think feed these sort of protests.  One has just to walk into the dining room to see that people tend to dine in their own ethnic groups.  There were some mixing between Asians and Whites.  The main reason for this is affirmative action.  Many of the underrepresented minorities who ended up attending places like Yale were not as prepared academically relative to the rest of the Yale student body.  Mixing socially between different groups made this fact quite obvious to all.  The way underrepresented minorities deal with this uncomfortable fact is to withdraw in their own ethnic enclave. 
3) I recall there was a movement in my freshman year to create a Puerto Rican Dean to support Puerto Rican students which was claimed was very different from Latino students.  I toyed with an idea to have a movement to create a Bulgarian Dean knowing quite well there were no Bulgarians in Yale.  I planned, when asked that there  are no Bulgarians on Yale campus, to reply "see, this is the result of Yale's institutional and cultural barriers to Bulgarians which in turn creates a hostile environment for Bulgarians."    Much to my annoyance, in my junior year in college I actually meet someone at Yale from Bulgaria. 

One question- where did you go to college?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies