Romney to announce running mate on Saturday @9am ET in Norfolk, VA
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 03:46:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney to announce running mate on Saturday @9am ET in Norfolk, VA
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 28
Author Topic: Romney to announce running mate on Saturday @9am ET in Norfolk, VA  (Read 80249 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: June 20, 2012, 07:22:34 AM »

In other news, I'm seeing more and more stories discussing the possibility of Romney naming his running mate in July, rather than waiting until August.  It might happen.  Particularly if it's someone boring like Pawlenty or Portman, who you're not expecting to get a big bounce from anyway, the timing doesn't matter as much, so you might as well get it over with, and have someone else to help you campaign and raise money.

The Olympics is July 27 - August 12.  So if the announcement is being made in July, I guess it would probably be mid-July.  I doubt it would happen a week or less before the Olympics.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #101 on: June 21, 2012, 06:04:38 AM »

CBS has this to say about the short list:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-57456927-503544/whos-still-in-the-running-to-be-romneys-running-mate/

You must be logged in to read this quote.

They also link to a video showing Ayotte denying that she's been contacted by the Romney campaign for vetting.  (Her earlier comment on this seemed more ambiguous, because the quote was truncated.)

So, for the record, the list of people who've said that they have *not* been contacted by the Romney campaign for vetting info, who have not ended up backtracking (so far):

Ayotte
Burr
Bush
Daniels
Haley
Huckabee
McDonnell
Santorum
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #102 on: June 21, 2012, 07:22:40 PM »

CBS has this to say about the short list:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-57456927-503544/whos-still-in-the-running-to-be-romneys-running-mate/

They also link to a video showing Ayotte denying that she's been contacted by the Romney campaign for vetting.  (Her earlier comment on this seemed more ambiguous, because the quote was truncated.)

So, for the record, the list of people who've said that they have *not* been contacted by the Romney campaign for vetting info, who have not ended up backtracking (so far):

Ayotte
Burr
Bush
Daniels
Haley
Huckabee
McDonnell
Santorum

Wait, did Thune un-deny? I remember he was vehemently saying that they weren't vetting him a while ago.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #103 on: June 21, 2012, 07:31:57 PM »

Yes, he did un-deny.  His new line is:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/story/2012-06-13/john-thune-romney-vice-president/55586686/1

His initial denial was just a couple of days after the Romney campaign started sending out questionnaires to the candidates, so it's possible they just hadn't gotten to him yet.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #104 on: June 21, 2012, 07:41:46 PM »

Yes, he did un-deny.  His new line is:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/story/2012-06-13/john-thune-romney-vice-president/55586686/1

His initial denial was just a couple of days after the Romney campaign started sending out questionnaires to the candidates, so it's possible they just hadn't gotten to him yet.

Ah, OK. Thanks.
milhouse24
« Reply #105 on: June 22, 2012, 12:07:24 PM »

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/06/romneys-great-utah-adventure-the-guest-list-and-schedule-leaks-out/

Rubio's not going to the fundraiser, which means he realizes he won't be picked (or considered).  I don't think Rubio even wants to give up his financial information to future campaign staff rivals in 2016.  Its a lose-lose scenario for him to go through with the vetting. 

The real VP pick will be at this fundraiser getting face time with Romney.  I think the finalists will be Pawlenty, Portman, and Thune.  I'm really surprised Thune is getting no media coverage, but maybe thats just what he wants.  I feel in the end, it will be Portman because Ohio is a must-win.
GLPman
United States

« Reply #106 on: June 22, 2012, 12:21:38 PM »

Yeah, it's looking increasingly like Rubio is out of consideration.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #107 on: June 22, 2012, 12:39:44 PM »

Pawlenty?

H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #108 on: June 22, 2012, 12:44:35 PM »

He's coming.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #109 on: June 22, 2012, 03:59:01 PM »

No surprise if true.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/303798/ryan-being-vetted-vp-robert-costa
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #110 on: June 22, 2012, 09:13:05 PM »

Rubio is an interesting public figure, no doubt.  But the VP pick?  No.  Romney will pick someone who will be able to step into the Presidency if necessary, and be an able President.  Rubio hardly fits that requirement at this time.

I'm telling you, the pick is going to be Rob Portman.  He has the experience, the capability, and the smarts, and he even looks Vice Presidential, and Presidential for that matter.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #111 on: June 22, 2012, 10:48:23 PM »

I'm telling you, the pick is going to be Rob Portman.  He has the experience, the capability, and the smarts, and he even looks Vice Presidential, and Presidential for that matter.

So you've given up on Lindsay Graham?

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=109384.msg2328874#msg2328874
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #112 on: June 22, 2012, 11:12:30 PM »

So you've given up on Lindsay Graham?

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=109384.msg2328874#msg2328874

For sure.  A lot changes in 2 1/2 years.

The man is Portman.
technical support
thrillr1111
United States

« Reply #113 on: June 23, 2012, 03:24:41 PM »
« Edited: June 24, 2012, 10:17:07 PM by thrillr1111 »

rob portman
john thune
tim pawlenty  (obamneycare)

milhouse24
« Reply #114 on: June 23, 2012, 10:42:56 PM »

I think it will be Portman in the end, because Romney needs to win Ohio, and he can use Portman's network and GOTV volunteers to accomplish that.  This could also spread to parts of Michigan, which is north of Ohio; and maybe to western PA.  In addition, northern virginians may like Portman as one of them (ie, a government worker bee).   

I think Thune is in a tough spot, he's only 51, so he's waiting for either 2016 or 2020 for his shot at the white house.  In 2016, it would likely be a Jeb Bush/Thune ticket if Romney loses.  If Romney wins, then in 2020, Thune will face Portman and Rubio in the presidential primaries.  Thune would easily win the Iowa primaries being so close. 
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #115 on: June 24, 2012, 12:43:12 AM »

I think Thune is in a tough spot, he's only 51, so he's waiting for either 2016 or 2020 for his shot at the white house.  In 2016, it would likely be a Jeb Bush/Thune ticket if Romney loses.  If Romney wins, then in 2020, Thune will face Portman and Rubio in the presidential primaries.  Thune would easily win the Iowa primaries being so close. 

I don't know.  I think the fact that Thune passed on a presidential run in 2012 means that he probably doesn't care so much about becoming president.  He might simply be as happy to become Senate Majority Leader as he would to become president.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #116 on: June 24, 2012, 01:38:42 PM »

No link, but my sources out in Utah said Condi Rice was the star of Romney's speech, receiving a standing ovation. I expect her name to start being floated around more.
milhouse24
« Reply #117 on: June 24, 2012, 02:06:01 PM »

I don't know.  I think the fact that Thune passed on a presidential run in 2012 means that he probably doesn't care so much about becoming president.  He might simply be as happy to become Senate Majority Leader as he would to become president.

That might be true, but he passed on 2012 because of the TARP votes and at the time, the Tea Partiers had a lot of power.  Even thinking about running means that at least 1% of his mind would like to be president some day.  It all comes down to timing and guts.  In eight years, Portman would be oldish, and easy to beat.  He would also run in 4 years on his own or as VP. 
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #118 on: June 24, 2012, 05:44:16 PM »

No link, but my sources out in Utah said Condi Rice was the star of Romney's speech, receiving a standing ovation. I expect her name to start being floated around more.

I hope. She would be a fantastic pick. Her pro-choice stance isn't exactly one I agree with, but she's content to accept pro-life politics. And... people in the rust belt will take kindly to a moderate, well-spoken woman. I think Condi is the only real trump card left in this game.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #119 on: June 24, 2012, 06:24:39 PM »

I hope. She would be a fantastic pick. Her pro-choice stance isn't exactly one I agree with, but she's content to accept pro-life politics. And... people in the rust belt will take kindly to a moderate, well-spoken woman. I think Condi is the only real trump card left in this game.

She's said ad infinitum that she's an academic, not a politician. Bush's SoS whose tenure is controversial even among conservatives and a self-admitted moderate on the issues. Portman has a similar problem- closely tied to Bush when Obama's been running against GWB on and off for 5 years. I could see her being asked for FP advice once in a while or maybe PFAIB if Romney wins, but that's about it.
technical support
thrillr1111
United States

« Reply #120 on: June 24, 2012, 10:18:49 PM »

I think it will be Portman in the end, because Romney needs to win Ohio, and he can use Portman's network and GOTV volunteers to accomplish that.  This could also spread to parts of Michigan, which is north of Ohio; and maybe to western PA.  In addition, northern virginians may like Portman as one of them (ie, a government worker bee).   

You don't  think romney may just choose someone thats not part of washington? I'm thinking he may now
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #121 on: June 25, 2012, 04:36:13 PM »

We must remember that Romney himself is not 'part of Washington', though certainly not for lack of trying to be.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #122 on: June 25, 2012, 08:33:18 PM »

This article by CBS claims that Cathy McMorris Rodgers recently told National Journal that she's not being vetted, but I can't find the original reporting by National Journal:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-57456390-503544/veep-question-of-the-day-whos-being-vetted/

Also, the veepstakes reaches self-parody as 1.5 term Rep. Tom Graves of Georgia refuses to say whether he's being vetted:

http://www.ajc.com/news/georgia-politics-elections/graves-mum-amid-vp-1463348.html
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #123 on: June 25, 2012, 09:04:13 PM »

CMR was named House liaison a while back.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #124 on: June 25, 2012, 09:07:46 PM »

Yep.  I posted on that a couple of weeks ago:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=154106.msg3322775#msg3322775
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 28  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies