DC Unrest Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 05:28:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC Unrest Megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: DC Unrest Megathread  (Read 272548 times)
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« on: January 06, 2021, 03:51:26 PM »

I understand this isn’t really important right now, but how in the hell is security this lax in literally the most important building to protect in the entire country in a country with a $4 trillion GDP that fancies itself to be the greatest in the world? Especially on a day when they knew there was going to be unrest? My local Wal-Mart was more prepared to handle potential BLM related riots than the Capitol was for this. The first bipartisan hearings in the 117th Congress should be whoever is responsible for keeping the Capitol secure. I want answers. I also want answers from the Pentagon and the Secret Service.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 06:51:27 PM »

Brian Kemp, governor of Georgia, has shown more leadership today than President Trump. This, even though the attacks today had nothing to do with Georgia and happened hundreds of miles away.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 10:21:33 PM »

I’m appalled at the number of “Republicans” on my Facebook feed who think what happened today is either OK because the election was rigged, Democrats’ fault, or a false-flag conspiracy by Antifa. No evidence presented for any of the three points, of course.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 11:35:36 PM »

I want a long and extensive investigation by Congress into the Capitol Police’s preparation for and handling of this crisis. Anyone who aided and abetted the terrorists should be tried accordingly by the Department of Justice.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2021, 10:36:46 AM »

I just heard Tim Ryan being interviewed on our local NPR station. He is of course the chair of the committee that oversees the Capitol Police Department. He had words of praise for the Department saying they were simply outmanned, but castigated the fact that the Capitol Police were over also unprepared and understaffed given all the advance warning of incitement that Donald Trump has committed over the last several months.

What shocked me was news I had not yet her. Reportedly there are 40 to 50 officers injured out of this, 15 of whom were hospitalized, one of whom is in critical condition after being beaten with pipes!
How they could be so unprepared is beyond me. Handling things like this is their job.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2021, 11:42:52 AM »

I just heard Tim Ryan being interviewed on our local NPR station. He is of course the chair of the committee that oversees the Capitol Police Department. He had words of praise for the Department saying they were simply outmanned, but castigated the fact that the Capitol Police were over also unprepared and understaffed given all the advance warning of incitement that Donald Trump has committed over the last several months.

What shocked me was news I had not yet her. Reportedly there are 40 to 50 officers injured out of this, 15 of whom were hospitalized, one of whom is in critical condition after being beaten with pipes!
How they could be so unprepared is beyond me. Handling things like this is their job.

Of course, the part I was surprised about was the fact that the DC National Guard hadn't been activated.  I naturally assumed they'd be there because you see them for other protests, but it turn out (at least under Trump) they're only called out in advance for black protestors.
There’s a little more nuance on that particular point, though, because Muriel Bowser had talked with the Secretary of Defense a couple of weeks ago and they agreed that the DC National Guard would be deployed if these protests turned ugly.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2021, 11:49:02 AM »

Is Kinzinger’s statement any kind of window into the minds of GOP House/Senate leadership, or is he going out on his own here?
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2021, 12:11:28 PM »

Capitol police has charged the following 14 people in relation with yesterday's events:

Unlawful Entry:
Leonard Guthrie, Cape May, N.J.
John Anderson, St. Augustine, Fla.
Matthew Council, Riverview, Fla.
Bradley Ruskelas, Inverness, Ill.
Michael Curzio, Summerfield, Fla
Cindy Fitchett, Cobbs Creek, Va.
Terry Brown, Myerstown, Pa.
Douglas Sweet, Hudgins, Va.
Thomas Gallagher, Bridgewater, N.H.
Zandra Sixkiller-Cramer, Glenwood, Md.

Assaulting a Police Officer, Unlawful Entry, Resisting Arrest:
Mark Leffingerwell, No fixed address

CPWL & Unregistered ammunition:
Grant Moore, Buford, Ga.

CPWL, Unregistered Firearm, Unregistered Ammunition:
Lonnie Zoffman, Falkville, Al.

Assaulting a Police Officer:
David Blair, Clarksburg, Md.
Very disappointed to see someone from Inverness on this list. I used to live very close to there.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2021, 12:17:07 PM »

Another candidate for expulsion/impeachment:

A West Virginia state lawmaker recorded video of himself and fellow supporters of President Donald Trump storming the U.S. Capitol on Wednesday, triggering calls for his resignation. In the video by Republican Delegate Derrick Evans, later deleted from his social media page, he is shown wearing a helmet and clamoring at the door to breach the building after Congress met for an expected vote to affirm Democrat Joe Biden's election victory.

"We're in! Keep it moving, baby!" he said in a packed doorway amid Trump followers holding flags and complaining of being pepper sprayed. Once inside, Evans could be seen on video milling around the Capitol Rotunda, where historical paintings depict the republic's founding, and yelled "no vandalizing."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/derrick-evans-west-virginia-us-capitol-video/
And prosecution for treason after that.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2021, 12:17:53 AM »

One of the frustrating things about all of this is it could have been avoided right from the start if Republicans had just picked basically any other candidate, in what was a large primary with lots of acceptable choices (relatively speaking).

Instead, they opted for the biggest loudmouth on stage, who despite having a very long and storied history of lying, scamming and disloyalty, earned enough votes to be nominated because people liked that he didn't talk like a regular politician. Guess what, those other pesky things like ethics, decent behavior and critical thinking actually matter when choosing leaders.

So for the love of god Republicans, next time have some decency and don't put the country through this kind of bs again.
I tried!
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2021, 01:02:10 AM »

Last line clear hint for 2024. If he truly does leave office on January 20th and nothing weird happens again then that's his plan.

January 6th ruined any chance he hadof winning a 2024 general election. Time will tell if can still gain the nomination.
If Republicans nominate him again, I’m out, man.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies