The Oldiesfreak Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts III (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 11:56:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Oldiesfreak Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts III (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Oldiesfreak Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts III  (Read 210576 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

« on: June 13, 2013, 12:09:56 PM »

Classic.

It is curious though that Naso doesn't mention anything about him going to High School on a computer?
To be fair, that is an innovation worth mentioning about the newer generations. We're still at the beginning of a profound shift in education. Back in my day, the pace of the class was set by the teacher and students were merely along for the ride. Fall behind or bored with a slow pace? Too bad. We were all in the same boat getting pushed by the same current. Now, education can be more about the individual student, who (ideally) can take more ownership for his own progress and move at individualized pace with more frequent checks of competence. Every day teaching becomes less about content delivery and more about mentoring, parental communication, and data management.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 01:29:51 PM »

I believe it was my fault for suggesting Africa has a birth rate problem. Surely, women can average six children each forever without large scale problems.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 02:47:21 PM »

The absurd, ignorant, and bad part is in bold.
I hope a reliable firm like PPP does some new polling in a week or so, I'd be interested to see where things stand. Though I think Davis would be a really long shot in '14, it's worth noting that Tuesday morning she had 1,200 Twitter followers. It's now over 80k. If they screw her district to where she can't win reelection, she should go for Governor anyway.

http://www.businessinsider.com/most-accurate-polls-of-2012-election-obama-romney-ppp-daily-kos-gallup-rasmussen-2012-11
That may have been true close to the election, but during the summer, PPP was far out of the mainstream of polling.  And honestly, I didn't think there were any pollsters in 2012 that were very accurate.  They were literally all over the place.  One poll had a candidate up by 1 point, another had the same candidate up by 10 points.  And that was in polls with the same sample type and similar margins of error.  2012 was, hands down, the worst campaign I have seen for polling thus far.
They remained "out of the mainstream" of polling close to the election. It's just that they were the only ones who were correct. The rest of the organizations, many of whom were much better known, were flatly wrong. PPP was pretty consistently correct in the states where it did polling.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 02:18:45 PM »

Mitt Romney is a Jew. Who knew?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 01:30:20 PM »

Does locking one's doors mean that we think burglary is ok?

Heaven forbid your house get broken into, are you gonna blame yourself for not having military grade protection on your house or the robber for breaking into your house?

Humans are expected to have self control. It is common knowledge that we are not supposed to commit rape, murder or burglaries. However, when someone decides to commit a rape for instance, it happens because a man does not have a grip on his self control. When a woman goes out wearing a bikini, it is expected of men not to f[inks]ing rape her but instead say "oh that's an attractive woman" and go on about their day. When a man decides to rape a woman, it is not because of what she's wearing, it's because men can't control their urges.

And vice versa when women rape men.
Except that men sometimes do go out looking for target. I know a lot of you like to feel all smug about saying that a woman should be able to wear whatever she wants without it causing her any problems. And I agree she should. But that's also not reality. I live in a city with very high crime rate. It's a fact of life that you lock your doors and not have anything valuable like a purse or iphone visible in your car windows. That doesn't mean it's your fault if you're victimized. Of course, criminals are responsible for the needs. But everybody also needs to be mindful of not bringing a lot of attention to vulnerabilities. Again, it's not a matter of blame. It's a matter of common sense. A woman doesn't need a burqa, but if a woman dresses like a stripper, fair or not, people are going to treat her like a stripper. Anybody who can't grasp that point needs to leave Mayberry more often.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 08:45:03 PM »

"Sexual compatibility" as a static construct that people either have or don't have is a myth. Any couple in a healthy relationship where both parties communicate and compromise as needed are able to create sexual compatibility.
The chemistry is either there or not. Suggesting otherwise makes me wonder if one has ever felt any attraction to another person.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 12:53:39 AM »

"Sexual compatibility" as a static construct that people either have or don't have is a myth. Any couple in a healthy relationship where both parties communicate and compromise as needed are able to create sexual compatibility.
The chemistry is either there or not. Suggesting otherwise makes me wonder if one has ever felt any attraction to another person.

lol. Chemistry and attraction do not require having sex to confirm.
I never said that they did. Only that suggesting that any two people are potentially sexually compatible if they'll just work on is so ridiculously naïve that only somebody who has never experienced attraction could suggest it.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 04:20:40 PM »

What is "The Bell Curve?" Its a name I hear thrown around a lot but never have bothered to look up.
1990s scientific racism. Minorities and other poors are poor because they have low IQs.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2013, 12:12:41 PM »

Folks with kids tend over time, to find there is more merit in the Daddy state, vis a vis the nanny state, than they thought prior to undergoing the experience. They just had to say "no" a lot, just like Daddy does.

Bongs kill brain cells kids.
I don't think it's fair to blame the bong in this particular case.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2013, 01:02:50 PM »

Heard on the radio an author who was interesting who had this take as to why folks with kids tended to be more conservative, particularly those who had them relatively young in life, rather than late. It was because when a young couple has kids, even though they had previously lost interest in religion, even if having been exposed to it by their parents, once they had kids, they felt the need to go back, and get help, and expose their kids to some moral values, so they did not become little sociopathic monsters. And with religion back in their lives, well you know what the numbers are as to the politics of those who attend church regularly versus those who don't.

The thing is, is that now, folks are deferring having kids, or not having them at all. And by the time you hit 35 or whatever, religion is but a distant memory, the habit is gone, they are more set in their ways,  in their minds they think that there are higher priorities in life on Sunday morning than going to church, they are more confident that they can guide their rug rats to something other than a jail cell using their own devices, rather than reverting to the Bible, and some guy in a robe, and so they don't go back to church, they remain distant from God, and - their politics does not change.

The author is a conservative, so guess what?  She wants folks to have kids when they're young! Smiley
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies