Jeopardy contestants launch witch hunt against champion for "white supremacist hand gesture" (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 06:43:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Jeopardy contestants launch witch hunt against champion for "white supremacist hand gesture" (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Jeopardy contestants launch witch hunt against champion for "white supremacist hand gesture"  (Read 922 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« on: May 17, 2021, 05:09:40 PM »

It was just the number 3. Case closed. All the Jeopardy contestants joining in on the witchhunt should be ashamed of themselves.

What was weird is all the people insisting that no one ever makes 3 like that, using the pinky instead of the index finger, but I usually do, since I have to hold down the pinky with the thumb, but making 3 like that requires much less effort since the index finger can stay down on it's own. Like people just assumed that their own gesture for 3 is the same way everyone does it...
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 05:57:12 PM »

I know maybe half a dozen signatories of this letter, although none of them particularly well. I also know a number of people who didn't sign this letter, in some cases to my surprise.

My opinion of the "Jeopardy community", which one gains entry to by having won on Jeopardy, is not high at all. Demographically these are exactly the sort of people whom one would expect to be wokescolds, and they have additional reinforcement from the self-confidence they've gained by having won on Jeopardy.

If I were to venture an explanation, I would say that these are people who are anxious about their whiteness, and the only way to alleviate that anxiety is through "anti-racist" action. The point here is not actually to alleviate any social ill; the action is the end in itself. That's why the ADL is the villain to these people; in denying that their action is anti-racist, they are denying these Jeopardy contestants the right to self-actualization.

I learned of this petition at the time it was happening; it was ludicrous even at the time, since anyone could see (and plenty of people had seen) that the contestant in question was counting off his victories on his fingers in previous episodes. These people knew this full well when they chose to sign their names. I feel bad for the man in question that he's had to be subjected to this, but on the other hand this means that he's not part of the Jeopardy community, which is a net positive on the whole. I am surprised this story would make national media, but I guess it really does have everything.
That's disappointing to hear since I honestly have been thinking I would like to go on Jeopardy. I imagine it would still be fun and potentially profitable...just avoid getting involved in the community if that's the case.
I've made it to tryouts twice, but haven't figured out how to get them to pick me. Had I been on the show, especially had I been a champion, I would very vocally come to this guy's defense and chastised everyone dragging him through the mud, while also reminding everyone that I'm a liberal democrat myself.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies