You guys are screwed.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:39:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  You guys are screwed.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: You guys are screwed.  (Read 6581 times)
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2015, 01:56:35 AM »

Rush Limbaugh literally just said that the biggest nationial security threat is THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES. There is no Republican candidate except perhaps the ever wonderful Donald J. Trump who would stand up to Limbaugh and not ultimately get steamrolled and be forced to kiss the ring. Fock off Reaganfan.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2015, 02:40:53 AM »
« Edited: October 14, 2015, 02:42:42 AM by BeccaM »

Chafee, Webb, and O'Malley are on par with the likes of Jim Gilmore and Lindsey Graham. They don't belong on the stage with President Hillary Rodham Clinton, but they get to because there are so few candidates. No one will remember them once this is over so their performance really means nothing.

President Hillary Rodham Clinton performed better than all candidates in the GOP circus combined, and Sanders was probably better than all of them too.

Republicans better be desperate, and they clearly are lol.

At least we don't have candidates tweeting racist jokes for attention during the other party's debate.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2015, 02:43:08 AM »

I can agree with the thread title.  All of the guys are screwed.  Luckily Hillary will be fine though.
Craigo
Rookie
« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2015, 02:45:32 AM »
« Edited: October 14, 2015, 02:49:29 AM by Craigo »

This is highly illustrative of the GOP's problem - their campaign is being judged solely on its entertainment value, and it's been going on for so long that they've internalized its logic. The idea of four adults (and Lincoln Chafee) rationally debating policy has no entertainment value - hence, it has no value at all.

The problem is that every cycle, during the winter before the primaries, voters stop treating the campaigns as entertainment and get serious. When that happens, the Democrats are still going to have their four (maybe five) adults. The GOP is going to have a reality show.

To put it differently, the Democrats want votes, and the Republicans want ratings. Which one wins elections?
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2015, 02:47:21 AM »
« Edited: October 14, 2015, 02:51:32 AM by BeccaM »

I didn't even find the debate boring at all. Sure there was no Trump comedy, but heaven forbid a presidential primary debate not have the tone of Real Housewives reunion.

Sanders and Clinton, the two candidates with more than Jim Gilmore level impact on the race, were both very engaging and energetic.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2015, 02:55:25 AM »

I was going to post something similar. Personal politics aside, the meanness coming out of the debate was quite disturbing.

Says the guy who spews constantly hate for blacks and Latinos.

I didn't hear Republicans talking about how our enemies were teachers unions or black people or those who might vote against Republicans. It really comes across mean-spirited.

Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2015, 04:05:29 AM »

Ana Navarro, Republican strategist and enthusiastic (!?) Jeb Bush supporter, apparently agrees with me:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2015, 07:31:04 AM »
« Edited: October 14, 2015, 07:38:09 AM by Fmr President & Senator Polnut »

The GOP primary should be an embarrassment, not to moderate Republicans but to all Republicans who want to actually win.

The primary features commentary on fake outrages, name calling, personal attacks and a link to reality so tenuous you wouldn't want a stiff breeze nearby in case it breaks completely.

Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2015, 07:34:50 AM »

The GOP debates were more mean spirited. The Democratic debate was more substantive.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2015, 07:58:03 AM »

Moderate democrats must be embarrassed tonight. Truly.

Boring better than crazy? Everything that was said tonight was fuxking ridiculous (see: free university tuition for illegal immigrants a no-brainer?) and creating a new massive government program for every letter of the alphabet for all our problems is going to be footed on the bill of your children. Do you people actually think about these policies? Honestly, do you?

I was going to post something similar. Personal politics aside, the meanness coming out of the debate was quite disturbing. I mean, talking enemies being the NRA and the Republicans, that's alot of people. There are alot of NRA members. There are alot of Republicans. I didn't hear Republicans talking about how our enemies were teachers unions or black people or those who might vote against Republicans. It really comes across mean-spirited.

It's quite clear the Democrats have moved drastically left. Like, hardcore. Free college for illegal immigrants? Most Americans based on polling don't even want them in the country, you think they want them getting free college? Dude...this is like hardcore radical stuff. This is not Clinton/Gore '92.

Yea, I don't support giving illegal immigrants free college. What did they do to earn it?
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #60 on: October 14, 2015, 08:00:33 AM »

The Democrat's debate had more important topics discussed in 15 minutes than the GOP debate did in 3 hours....
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2015, 08:34:01 AM »

"On this stage you didn't hear anyone denigrate women, you didn't hear anyone make racist comments about new American immigrants. You didn't hear anyone speak ill of another American because of their religious beliefs. What you heard was an honest search for the answers that will move our country forward."

-Martin O'Malley in his closing statement

THAT is why no sane person should ever vote Republican.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2015, 08:48:32 AM »
« Edited: October 14, 2015, 08:50:39 AM by King »

This is like basing George H.W. Bush's chances in 1988 on Pat Robertson and Pierre DuPont's performances.

Hillary did great. Bernie is passable for a primary debate but obviously not a general election option. They need to institute a threshold to force the other three out of the race, however.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #63 on: October 14, 2015, 09:51:40 AM »

I can't even begin to understand a way of watching the GOP debates and last night's debate that would make it seem like the Democrats are screwed.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #64 on: October 14, 2015, 10:30:23 AM »

What you heard was an honest search for the answers that will move our country forward.

If you consider ceaselessly spouting talking points about unrelated topics, trying to out-liberal each other, and mindlessly pandering and denigrating Republicans for the sake of applause an "honest search for answers", then sure.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #65 on: October 14, 2015, 11:18:03 AM »

Aside from new tax and spend programs, and Bernie's commitment to the redistribution of wealth away from those terrible rich people, I'm not sure I heard any real suggestions about how these candidates would address our out of control debt, a foreign policy in complete tatters, illegal immigration that continues to be ignored, etc. etc. FWIW, Jim Webb is the only Democratic candidate that I could get behind.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #66 on: October 14, 2015, 12:35:18 PM »

It was a lot more unprofessional than I thought it would go. Indeed, I'm feeling a little better about Republican chances to beat Clinton.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #67 on: October 14, 2015, 12:40:59 PM »

I can agree with the thread title.  All of the guys are screwed.  Luckily Hillary will be fine though.
Good point. Clinton is not a guy. LOL
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #68 on: October 14, 2015, 12:54:45 PM »
« Edited: October 14, 2015, 12:57:31 PM by eric82oslo »

Ana Navarro, Republican strategist and enthusiastic (!?) Jeb Bush supporter, apparently agrees with me:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I watched her utter those words live on CNN, and I was honestly shocked about her sincerity and praise. Smiley

The only thing I didn't like about the debate was that everyone was constantly talking in eachother's mouths, making it really hard to hear what anyone was actually saying. Mainly Jim Webb always talking when Anderson Cooper was asking a question and Cooper always abruptly interrupting when one of the debaters were speaking. So incredibly rude by Cooper. If he wasn't such a great journalist over all, he really should be fired for how he handled this debate.

Also, the debate should have been at least half an hour longer. Preferably an hour longer. When they said it was time for the final statements, I was really shocked the time was already over. Maybe because they spent 17.5 minutes in total on their opening and closing statements. Which is fine, but since the debate also started 15 minutes later than promised by CNN, there really wasn't much time left for an actual debate.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #69 on: October 14, 2015, 01:04:44 PM »

Aside from new tax and spend programs, and Bernie's commitment to the redistribution of wealth away from those terrible rich people, I'm not sure I heard any real suggestions about how these candidates would address our out of control debt, a foreign policy in complete tatters, illegal immigration that continues to be ignored, etc. etc. FWIW, Jim Webb is the only Democratic candidate that I could get behind.

Because he's the only Republican candidate pretending to run as a Democrat. How boring and utterly sad would the general election be with a Republican running against another Republican? It would pretty much be the end of democracy as we know it.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #70 on: October 14, 2015, 01:09:10 PM »

I think the contrast with the GOP debates is that this was an actual political debate and not a free for all between a bunch of random people who act like they hate everyone and everything that exists.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #71 on: October 14, 2015, 02:01:40 PM »

I think the contrast with the GOP debates is that this was an actual political debate and not a free for all between a bunch of random people who act like they hate everyone and everything that exists.

What debate. There were just a bunch of substance-less scripted campaign speeches. There was no serious discussion of the specifics of issues. Saying "I want a $15 Minimum Wage" "Yes, notice the Republicans don't even want a minimum wage" is not a serious discussion. "Guns are bad. I hate the NRA." is not a serious discussion. "I'm a woman" is not a serious discussion. O'Malley mentioned specific energy tax credits once. That was serious discussion, but vague talking points is not a policy debate.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #72 on: October 14, 2015, 02:04:39 PM »

What debate. There were just a bunch of substance-less scripted campaign speeches. There was no serious discussion of the specifics of issues. Saying "I want a $15 Minimum Wage" "Yes, notice the Republicans don't even want a minimum wage" is not a serious discussion. "Guns are bad. I hate the NRA." is not a serious discussion. "I'm a woman" is not a serious discussion. O'Malley mentioned specific energy tax credits once. That was serious discussion, but vague talking points is not a policy debate.

You're contrasting this with the Republican debates, I presume? Where you're saying serious debate *did* happen? I must have missed that.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #73 on: October 14, 2015, 02:15:45 PM »

I would warn Democrats not to get overconfident. It all depends. Yes I don't think Trump or Carson would win the general, but where is the guarantee that either of them would be the nominee? Other candidates could beat Clinton, don't you think?
Depending on who the Republican nominee is, it could be a close election. A close election obviously means either party could win. Just because the Republicans seem to be in chaos right now, doesn't mean that they won't win next year in November.
In a one on one debate with certain Republicans, any of the five Democrats could be vulnerable. For example, Clinton was on the defensive on Iraq and Sanders on gun control.
All the Republicans are vulnerable in one way or another, but the Democrats are as well.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #74 on: October 14, 2015, 02:48:47 PM »

Because he's the only Republican candidate pretending to run as a Democrat. How boring and utterly sad would the general election be with a Republican running against another Republican? It would pretty much be the end of democracy as we know it.

Agreed. Perhaps the answer is Senator Joe Lieberman's No Labels organization; the idea of the usual party politics is getting old, and is running this country into the ground.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies