The Atlas Gentleman's Social Club 1945 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 11:54:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Atlas Gentleman's Social Club 1945 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Atlas Gentleman's Social Club 1945  (Read 11149 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: May 20, 2011, 09:09:06 PM »

Tell me, can anyone here tell me of any good hotels in Indianapolis?

I'm thinking of taking the New York Central down from here in Grayling to be there next weekend to catch the race to be held there on Decoration Day.  500 miles is too long for an automobile race, but Harroun will be coming out of retirement to drive.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 04:58:27 AM »

Saw an interesting two-reeler at the local nickelodeon last night.  Ramona was an insightful movie that adapts the novel of the same name that shows the injustice of racial prejudice.  I think the director, D.W.Griffith, has a bright future ahead of him.  He definitely took advantage of the location shots in Southern California.  Of course, studio production will remain in the east unless the Edison Trust becomes too obnoxious.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 09:48:48 AM »

Oriental politics are not my strong suite Sir. However with Europe at peace any confrontations between the main powers are likely to occur in Asia. The Russians clearly have sights on Persia and the British must secure our interests to ensure that the Russians do not threaten India. I think this is somewhat unlikely of course, however with Ottoman weakness we must train a keen eye on the region at all times.

The Young Turks are doing their best to restore the Ottoman state.  Since the interests of Russia and Austria in promoting stable multi-ethnic authoritarian empires are aligned, I think that those three empires are likely to join together in common cause.  The British naval paranoia is keeping John Bull from realizing that a strong relationship with the industrious Germania is far more important than recent efforts to woo the grisette Marianne.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 05:29:26 PM »

I personally hope Mr. Roosevelt runs again, Mr. Washington has some valid points but we are ahead in time One Hundred and fourteen years. Times are different, and Mr. Roosevelt should be allowed to lead again.
As for Mr. Roosevelt, I believe he should decline a run in 1912. If he were to become the Republican nominee, however, I would support him for the sake of defeating whatever dreadful candidate the Democrats choose to nominate.

Is there really a difference between the two parties?  You have to take a look at the party label to find a difference.  Besides, the Republican Party has served its purpose.  A new party with a progressive outlook is what is needed, especially in the Deep South. It is clear that Southerners will never vote for a Republican.  It has been fifty years since the Rebellion was started, but it is clear that even a century from now, there will not be any Republicans elected from the original seven sinners. (Barring the end of Negro disenfranchisement, but without another Civil War I don't see that happening.)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 05:41:04 PM »
« Edited: May 22, 2011, 05:43:00 PM by True Federalist »

Here's a look at the Gubernatorial races this year.

Georgia (possible election)Sad
Senator Terrell is likely to die or resign soon from the stroke he suffered back in February.  Word is that the Legislature is likely to elect the current governor, Hoke Smith, to take his place as Senator, which would promote the President of the Senate, John M. Slaton to be acting Governor.  The Legislature could call for a special election, which likely depends on how soon Terrell gives up his palsied grip on office.

Kentucky:
Judge Edward C. O'Rear of Kentucky Court of appeals is the likely Republican nominee, while James B. McCreary, the former U.S. Senator and Governor is the likely Democratic nominee.  This is almost certainly a Democratic pickup no matter who wins the nominations, given how unpopular the GOP incumbent is.

Maryland:
Too early to tell who will be the Republican sacrificial lamb in this contest.  I expect that as usual, the Democrat will win.

Massachusetts:
While it does give us a lot to chat about in this club, I think Massachusetts would be wise to end its practice of having annual elections for governor.

Mississippi:
Conversely, this State is the complete opposite to Massachusetts.  Earl LeRoy Brewer, who narrowly lost the Democratic primary last time is unopposed so far, and even if the GOP can find a sacrificial elephant to run, the Democrat will win here.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 06:23:17 PM »

While I am a Cleveland Naps fan, I think the major leagues could use some expansion so as to allow the highest level of baseball to be available more widely.  I think that the Baltimore Oriole, Buffalo Bisons, Indianapolis Indians, and Milwaukee Brewers would be the best additions.

Baltimore should join the National League since the junior circuit has the Senators.

Buffalo should go to the American League so both leagues will have two New York state teams.

Indianapolis should go to the American League, so that the Indians and the Braves are in separate leagues.

That leaves the Brewers to join the senior circuit.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 08:00:22 AM »

There are rumors afoot of a Federal circuit being created to join the National and American leagues. Perhaps that shall answer your concerns.

Doubtful.  A third major league would want to include some of the cities already served by the existing two leagues.  I can't see that being a success.  Maybe New York could find room for yet another team, especially if they played in The Bronx, but moving one of the two Manhattan teams (most likely the Highlanders) to the Bronx would be an effective counter to that.

A third major league would need to be either out west on in the south, but I just don't see either region having enough large cities to support a eight team major league.  Plus, who wants to watch baseball in the heat and humidity of a southern summer?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 05:59:48 PM »

What are your opinions of this second iteration of the Ku Klux Klan?

While they were beaten back in their efforts to control the Democratic Party this time, I fear they may succeed.  If only we had a system that encouraged multiple parties instead of the duopoly we always have they wouldn't be a problem.  For example over in Germany, that chap Hitler is quite similar to Evans.  A fascination with fire, weird titles (Imperial Wizard and Führer), costumes for their followers, etc.  However, over in Germany, Hitler has his own party which will never amount to anything, while I fear Evans and the KKK will be able to co-opt the Democrats and take power someday.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 07:39:40 PM »

<Best thread in I dunno how long Cheesy  Carry on, gents....>
I know. The conversations here have never been as good as they were when I was a young lad of 13 and my father allowed me to come in and listen to my elders speak. I remember one fellow in particular. While he was a disagreeable fellow at times, especially when the topic of Lincoln came up, that chap who was ejected from the club when it was found out he was an agent provocateur for Jeff Davis instead of a real gentleman, was able to start some interesting conversations.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 09:28:22 PM »

Just don't ask what the alcohol you're drinking is made out of.  While it does improve close to the Canadian border (and, I suppose, the other border), the homemade stuff can be quite hazardous to your health.  I've heard horror stories of "bathtub gin" that turned out to be turpentine.

I've never heard of anyone having trouble bring in medicinal quantities over any of the St. Clair ferries.  Of course if you get over eager or are trying to bring it in for resale you can have a problem. But proper gentlemen such as ourselves would never do such a thing.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 09:37:58 PM »

Ahh, the speed with which technological advancements develop these days. Although children today will find it hard to believe, in my family we all grew up just fine without the incessant banter of the radio. We learned all we needed from the daily newspaper, which, thank goodness, can never be replaced by any electronic device. Still, I have high hopes that in the future, communication devices will serve to educate our great country about current events and fine arts instead of the dribble that's on the radio today.

Not just dribble!  Why, though some punks my age spend all their time listening to that "Glenn Miller" fellow, I've been tuning in to the "Bell Telephone Hour" on NBC Radio.  I think it's just solid!

Radio will soon be getting even better once the FCC gets around to approving VHF radio for commercial use.  VHF uses frequencies higher than shortwave and a different modulation technique to make the sound much better than what we can get on mediumwave.  Of course, you never get something for nothing.  There never will be reliable long distance broadcasting in the VHF station, so if I want to listen to a Yankee or Giants game at night, I'll still have to listen to WJZ on the mediumwave from New York.  It's a shame CBS won't let its clear channel stations carry baseball games.  If CBS would just let WABC carry games, I'd be able to listen to the Dodgers as well when they play at home.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies