Jewish dentist denied military clearance because he has family in Israel (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 07:24:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Jewish dentist denied military clearance because he has family in Israel (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Jewish dentist denied military clearance because he has family in Israel  (Read 3367 times)
MalaspinaGold

« on: December 19, 2015, 01:18:55 PM »

It's almost as if people care about bigotry aimed directly against them.

The problem here is not this guy's ethnicity or his religion. It's that he has immediate family who are citizens of a foreign country in a militarily sensitive region of the world.

No one has a "right" to be in the military. Having close ties to foreigners is an impediment to serving effectively.
This almost certainly bars any Muslim/Middle Eastern Christians from the position does it not?
MalaspinaGold

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 03:47:25 PM »

It's almost as if people care about bigotry aimed directly against them.

The problem here is not this guy's ethnicity or his religion. It's that he has immediate family who are citizens of a foreign country in a militarily sensitive region of the world.

No one has a "right" to be in the military. Having close ties to foreigners is an impediment to serving effectively.
This almost certainly bars any Muslim/Middle Eastern Christians from the position does it not?

If they have immediate family living in their country of origin, as this guy does, of course it does.

Do you want to let somebody on a military base who's calling Mama and Uncle Ahmed in Syria or Iraq every week? Let's not be foolish.

FTR, several Middle Eastern members of my family have served in the military going back to the Korean War. But like most early/mid-20th century immigrants, they were people who didn't leave anything behind when they immigrated. No immediate family left overseas and very few opportunities to travel there. So the chances of someone having information intercepted or being blackmailed were lower. Obviously cell phones and online banking didn't exist. That's not the case for people nowadays.

I don't quite see the problem with this?
MalaspinaGold

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 01:52:58 AM »

Not speaking for Rubio Republican, but I'm sure he'd agree with me: I would most definitely care if this happened to anyone of any other nationality or ethnicity as well.

Absolutely. I would think it was wrong. It seems like the height of paranoia. It does depend somewhat on the status of relations with the country, of course - an ally nation deserves less scrutiny - but in general, someone being an immigrant with family abroad should not disqualify someone from a military position.

But let's be real, incidents like this affecting Jewish people would get no airtime here unless Jewish people called attention to them. Jews are allowed to focus on anti-semitism much like any group is allowed to focus on incidents targeting them.

Most American Jews have never lived in Israel and do not have close family in Israel. This isn't an issue that would come up for most American Jews.

Stop making this into a Jewish/anti-Semitic issue when it's essentially an Israeli issue and by extension an "Americans with close foreign ties" issue.
We have one running for president who did. Does this make him unqualified? Also keep in mind that he has another close relative literally holding elected office in another country.
MalaspinaGold

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 05:29:59 PM »

Not speaking for Rubio Republican, but I'm sure he'd agree with me: I would most definitely care if this happened to anyone of any other nationality or ethnicity as well.

Absolutely. I would think it was wrong. It seems like the height of paranoia. It does depend somewhat on the status of relations with the country, of course - an ally nation deserves less scrutiny - but in general, someone being an immigrant with family abroad should not disqualify someone from a military position.

But let's be real, incidents like this affecting Jewish people would get no airtime here unless Jewish people called attention to them. Jews are allowed to focus on anti-semitism much like any group is allowed to focus on incidents targeting them.

Most American Jews have never lived in Israel and do not have close family in Israel. This isn't an issue that would come up for most American Jews.

Stop making this into a Jewish/anti-Semitic issue when it's essentially an Israeli issue and by extension an "Americans with close foreign ties" issue.
We have one running for president who did. Does this make him unqualified? Also keep in mind that he has another close relative literally holding elected office in another country.

Given our "special relationship" with Great Britain, no, I do not consider that an issue.
Explain, and furthermore you ignored the first part of my reply.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies