What about Tom Ridge??
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 05:27:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  What about Tom Ridge??
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What about Tom Ridge??  (Read 3223 times)
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2009, 04:35:19 PM »

In 2012 it'll have been almost a decade since he held elected office. Quite pathetic if the GOP has to resort to THAT.

Yah yah, he had a cabinet position after that, I don't think serving in Bush's cabinet and creating the much mocked color-coding system is a huge plus.

The Democrats just nominated a guy whose claim to fame was a speech he gave in 2004. 

Obama connected with the base of the party and his ideas and beliefs were a good fit for the party.  Ridge on the other hand doesn't fit or connect well with the base of the GOP, especially now as the
base has gotten much more conservative and southern oriented.

I agree.  I was trying to counter BRTD's claim that nominating Ridge would be "pathetic".
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2009, 02:23:23 PM »

Obama came to fame from that speech, but he was still in office and notable. What has Ridge done? Really, Ridge's best chance was 2000. He was in office as long as Bush was. 2004 if Gore had taken office? Maybe, if Romney and Huckabee could run in 2008 and be serious. 2008? Can anyone see him getting anywhere? Fred Thompson was out of office as long as I guess and he could've been a serious candidate if he actually tried, but he was filling a niche that Ridge obviously couldn't (A "true conservative".) 2012? Now he's beyond washed-up.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2009, 04:42:15 PM »

Obama came to fame from that speech, but he was still in office and notable. What has Ridge done? Really, Ridge's best chance was 2000. He was in office as long as Bush was. 2004 if Gore had taken office? Maybe, if Romney and Huckabee could run in 2008 and be serious. 2008? Can anyone see him getting anywhere? Fred Thompson was out of office as long as I guess and he could've been a serious candidate if he actually tried, but he was filling a niche that Ridge obviously couldn't (A "true conservative".) 2012? Now he's beyond washed-up.

Since when is it required that a nominee currently hold an office?  He' served in Congress for like 12 years, governed a large state, and headed DHS as recently as four years ago.  He also held a significant position in the McCain campaign last year.  I don't nominating him would be pathetic at all.  He'd actually be one of the more experienced and accomplished of candidates. 
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2009, 04:52:02 PM »

This is an embarrassing thread.  He is not up to the job and should not be considered.

He could have locked up that Senate seat fo us if he had gotten in against Specter.  He's a wimp and I don't want a wimp in the Oval Office.

I'm sorry, John... how many years of military service have you put in, and where did you work construction to pull your ass through the Ivy League?

I wonder sometimes if someone has taken over your account, because you hardly seem like the same person to whom I was almost attached at the hip a few years back.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2009, 04:56:02 PM »
« Edited: August 02, 2009, 04:57:33 PM by Supersoulty »

In 2012 it'll have been almost a decade since he held elected office. Quite pathetic if the GOP has to resort to THAT.

Yah yah, he had a cabinet position after that, I don't think serving in Bush's cabinet and creating the much mocked color-coding system is a huge plus.

Yeah, running a guy who has been out of elected office for sometime would be a huge embarrassment for the Republican Party...

Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2009, 04:56:06 PM »

This is an embarrassing thread.  He is not up to the job and should not be considered.

He could have locked up that Senate seat fo us if he had gotten in against Specter.  He's a wimp and I don't want a wimp in the Oval Office.

I'm sorry, John... how many years of military service have you put in, and where did you work construction to pull your ass through the Ivy League?

I wonder sometimes if someone has taken over your account, because you hardly seem like the same person to whom I was almost attached at the hip a few years back.

Shots fired!
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2009, 04:57:59 PM »

Yeah, running a guy who has been out of elected office for sometime would be a huge embarrassment for the Republican Party...

12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2009, 04:59:40 PM »

Right after I did that, I went back and added them, plus Eisenhower.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies