Top 5 Favorite Presidents (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:38:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Top 5 Favorite Presidents (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Top 5 Favorite Presidents  (Read 11344 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« on: June 14, 2012, 10:02:49 PM »

1. Van Buren
2. Cleveland
3. Tyler
4. Coolidge
5. Taylor

Did you take yours straight from the libertarian "master list"?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 01:48:39 PM »

Eh...

Not sure on mine.

Hmm, let me see here:

1. Thomas Jefferson (Democratic Republican-Virginia)
2. Calvin Coolidge (Republican-Massachusetts)
3. Grover S. Cleveland (Democratic-New York)
4. John Q. Adams (National Republican-Massachusetts)
5. Chester A. Arthur (Republican-New York)

Makes sense I guess. Why do you like JQA though? I like him too, but from what I know, no libertarian should like him.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 03:34:06 PM »

But as for Tyler, it just makes no sense. It's not that I particularly dislike him or his policies; he was just an epic failure.

He certainly did fail on re-election, his cabinet (which is one of the main reasons I respect him; he was willing to go against his party based on his principles), and his domestic agenda, but he managed to achieve multiple significant foreign policy landmarks (some of which I already mentioned; I think I forgot to mention he opened China to US trade as well) during his administration.

Still, did you have to copy straight from the Libertarian Master List?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 03:38:07 PM »

But as for Tyler, it just makes no sense. It's not that I particularly dislike him or his policies; he was just an epic failure.

He certainly did fail on re-election, his cabinet (which is one of the main reasons I respect him; he was willing to go against his party based on his principles), and his domestic agenda, but he managed to achieve multiple significant foreign policy landmarks (some of which I already mentioned; I think I forgot to mention he opened China to US trade as well) during his administration.

Still, did you have to copy straight from the Libertarian Master List?

Yes. Yes I did.

Isn't Libertarianism about independent thinking or something like that?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 04:01:53 PM »

Eh...

Not sure on mine.

Hmm, let me see here:

1. Thomas Jefferson (Democratic Republican-Virginia)
2. Calvin Coolidge (Republican-Massachusetts)
3. Grover S. Cleveland (Democratic-New York)
4. John Q. Adams (National Republican-Massachusetts)
5. Chester A. Arthur (Republican-New York)

Makes sense I guess. Why do you like JQA though? I like him too, but from what I know, no libertarian should like him.

He wasn't THAT bad.  And anyway, I don't really consider myself libertarian now days.  Too many Scotmanesque qualities in there that prevents me from really thinking through various issues (no offense guys).
It's not really the fault of people who are libertarians, just that the philosophy is set up that way.  Mint pretty much nails it on the head with the "you're either whole hog or you're not" spiel.  I'd guess if I'm anything I'm probably a VERY cynical classical liberal.

[/awaits inevitable flame war]

And anyway, he is definitely a principled man who held some brave views and I believe had a courage that was unequal of his day, even if he was a crazy tariff supporter.  And a few bolts and nuts saner than his successor in office.

I'd have to agree with you there. The Adams family (hah) (at least John and JQA) was very into taking their stand on an issue and not budging. That's why we didn't end up in official war with either France or England back in the late 1790's. Heck, now I feel like I should include at least one of them in my top 5. Not sure which one though.

And I definitely would have supported him over Andrew Jackson, a man it seems every US History teacher has fallen in love with for some reason.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 07:52:19 AM »

5. George W. Bush
4. Andrew Jackson
3. Calvin Coolidge
2. George H.W. Bush
1. Ronald Reagan

What... what has... what is this?

I like the foreign policy. He destroyed the Taliban Government in Afghanistan. Surely that must be a plus.

That's a minus...

So you'd prefer that it was still legal to stone women in Afghanistan. Me no understand Sad

Look, BritishDixie, you have to understand that Liberalism is all about tolerance. You have to learn to tolerate and appreciate the lifestyles these people live, as alternatives to our own evil, Western lifestyles, and to appreciate the culture and heritage. Women getting stoned and raped is an important part of that and I think we should all respect that.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 07:59:36 AM »
« Edited: July 02, 2012, 05:39:08 PM by Cathcon »

I think it's finally time I put down a list...

Remember, it's not best Presidents, but favorite ones. Keep that in mind.

1. John Calvin Coolidge (Republican-Massachusetts)
2. William McKinley (Republican-Ohio)
3. John Adams (Federalist-Massachusetts)
4. Ronald Wilson Reagan Richard Milhous Nixon (Republican-California)
5. Stephen Grover Cleveland (Democrat-New York)

I honestly wasn't sure who to put. Among contenders were John Quincy Adams, Martin Van Buren (not even sure why), Abe Lincoln, Thomas Jefferson, George Washington, Teddy Roosevelt, etc. Really, I don't think that I can rank them, but here's my first attempt. Have at it.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 05:38:40 PM »

You're right. I guess ol' Ronald can be bumped for the original Best President from California.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies