Motion to expel Senator Deus from the Senate (Failed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 07:00:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Motion to expel Senator Deus from the Senate (Failed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Motion to expel Senator Deus from the Senate (Failed)  (Read 2149 times)
TNF
Atlas Icon

« on: October 07, 2014, 10:24:00 AM »

I will not be party to this political witch hunt.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 03:06:17 PM »

Expelling Deus would be nothing short of an attack upon a Senator because he holds an unpopular opinion. In this case, the opinion that the Northeast should secede from the Republic. This would set a bad precedent that could, if left unchecked, allow the center to expel all those who do not conform to what they define as the acceptable field of debate. If Deus is expelled, what is to stop JCL from being expelled? What is to stop me from being expelled? The three of us obviously hold views far from the mainstream, and so I'm rightfully concerned here that any such action will be but an opening move to expel all those with whom the political mainstream has a disagreement.

I ask the Senate to dismiss these politically-motivated charges against the Senator. Expelling Deus would extinguish what is left of Atlasian democratic procedure and the entirety of what remains of public respect for the Senate as a body that represents their interests.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 03:17:18 PM »

What are you talking about? "Long term expulsion"? What we are discussing here is expelling Deus from the Senate, period. This isn't something that we can apply a certain amount of time for, as far as I understand the expulsion process. He can't just be expelled for a month and then take up his position again. That's not how expulsion works. If we vote to expel him, he is removed from the Senate, that's how this thing goes.

The fact that Deus is an At-Large Senator also kind of makes expulsion a waste of time, because if he is expelled, the Democratic-Republican Party could reappoint him immediately thanks to the Proportional Representation Act. If you want to waste the time of the Senate to vote on an expulsion that will likely be undone in the span of five minutes, be my guest. But understand that this action is an undemocratic attack upon the right of a Senator to speak his mind on an issue that he feels passionate about. Speech advocating for the secession of a Region should not be the grounds for the expulsion of an Atlasian Senator anymore than calling for the overthrow of the government should.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 09:06:23 AM »

...A vote hasn't been opened guys.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 10:50:02 AM »

NAY
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies