Georgia's Very Own Megathread! (v2)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 08:38:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Georgia's Very Own Megathread! (v2)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 79
Author Topic: Georgia's Very Own Megathread! (v2)  (Read 142259 times)
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: August 27, 2018, 11:51:41 PM »

Because he's at least not as bad as Jeff Sessions.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #151 on: August 28, 2018, 08:08:11 AM »

If they're rich and hate poor people.
kph14
Germany

« Reply #152 on: August 28, 2018, 08:52:32 AM »

Because he's Herman Cain.
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #153 on: August 28, 2018, 08:55:32 AM »

Because he would be a better governor than Stacey Abrams.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #154 on: August 28, 2018, 10:29:44 AM »

Because he would be a better governor than Stacey Abrams.

Not a biggest fan of Abrams, but absolutely sure that's not true...
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #155 on: August 28, 2018, 02:55:06 PM »

Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #156 on: August 28, 2018, 04:30:00 PM »
« Edited: August 28, 2018, 04:33:12 PM by Fmr. Pres. Griff »

Alright, so I've finished my first draft of Georgia 2018 Abrams win benchmarks. I've decided for the time being to settle on a nominal win rather than a majority win, simply because I'm not sure where else it's feasible to stretch the numbers to get to 50%. Nevertheless, I did manage to get Abrams to 49.3% when all was said and done; in the end, this is equivalent to closing 223k of the 262k deficit Carter had in 2014. Obviously the easiest way for Abrams to get a majority with these figures as a baseline is if Kemp's raw turnout is lower than Deal's was in 2014.

I'm open to suggestions or recommendations in some parts of the state. Below is a map and the list with each county's benchmarks. I'll probably turn this into an interactive map in the next day or two.

County-by-County Benchmarks (2014 and 2018 Results + Swings)

Medal506
United States

« Reply #157 on: August 28, 2018, 09:55:46 PM »

Because Stacey Abram's policies are better than Kemp's?

Wrong.
Medal506
United States

« Reply #158 on: August 28, 2018, 10:05:32 PM »

I don't think anyone should vote for her no matter what race they are.
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #159 on: August 28, 2018, 10:11:34 PM »

What benefit is there for any white person in Georgia to vote for Democrats Stacey Abrams in the 2018 gubernatorial election?

Maybe said white person decides to vote on the basis of the candidates character rather than the color of their skin? Just saying, could be?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #160 on: August 28, 2018, 10:13:50 PM »

What benefit is there for any white person in Georgia to vote for Democrats Stacey Abrams in the 2018 gubernatorial election?

Maybe said white person decides to vote on the basis of the candidates character rather than the color of their skin? Just saying, could be?

That's funny when black people vote 90% for black candidates, except for Steve Cohen.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #161 on: August 28, 2018, 10:17:31 PM »
« Edited: August 29, 2018, 02:04:41 AM by Fuzzy Bear »

No voter has to prove anything to Stacey Abrams.  Or to Matt Kemp, for that matter.

Why should a black Evangelical not vote for Brian Kemp?  Why should a black Evangelical who is pro-life, etc. not support Matt Kemp, who is certainly the more socially conservative candidate?

If I were a Georgia voter, I'd probably vote for Abrams.  She's not an FF, but Kemp is kind of an HP.
It would, however, be in spite of people of this forum who have been absolutely horrible ambassadors on her behalf.  They're the type of people who will end up costing her just enough votes for her opposition to win.  

The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #162 on: August 28, 2018, 10:19:45 PM »

That's funny when black people vote 90% for black candidates, except for Steve Cohen.

Black people also routinely vote 90% for white candidates. The white candidates do have to be Democrats though. And they vote pretty much 90% against black candidates like Tim Scott, Michael Steele, etc, when those candidates are Republicans.

So it seems to me that black people vote predominantly for Democrats and against Republicans. Who would have thunk it?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #163 on: August 28, 2018, 10:23:27 PM »

Black people also routinely vote 90% for white candidates. The white candidates do have to be Democrats though. And they vote pretty much 90% against black candidates like Tim Scott, Michael Steele, etc, when those candidates are Republicans.

So it seems to me that black people vote predominantly for Democrats and against Republicans. Who would have thunk it?

Fine, but by that argument a white person should not vote for Stacey Abrams because she's a Democrat.
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #164 on: August 28, 2018, 10:29:12 PM »

Fine, but by that argument a white person should not vote for Stacey Abrams because she's a Democrat.

You mean because all white people are Republicans?
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #165 on: August 29, 2018, 02:03:19 AM »

If they were Evangelical Christians and believed that Kemp's positions on many social issues were important enough to overlook his personality.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #166 on: August 29, 2018, 02:42:20 AM »

If they were Evangelical Christians and believed that Kemp's positions on many social issues were important enough to overlook his personality.
There's the problem right there. It's all about getting what you want. Throw ethics out the window. Moral relativism. That's politics. It happens on both sides, but that doesn't mean that both sides are equally culpable. The difference is that the GOP is the side that preaches "morality" and "family values" etc. This is nothing new in politics and I can understand pragmatism, it is wrong to demand that only one side be ethical. Neither side should be preaching what they preach unless they are consistent. I am not necessarily it's wrong to be pragmatic, but the problem is the holier than thou attitude of the GOP. They didn't care if Clarence Thomas was guilty because he was a Republican and yet they cared about Bill Clinton's private life.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #167 on: August 29, 2018, 02:53:54 AM »

There's the problem right there. It's all about getting what you want. Throw ethics out the window. Moral relativism. That's politics. It happens on both sides, but that doesn't mean that both sides are equally culpable. The difference is that the GOP is the side that preaches "morality" and "family values" etc. This is nothing new in politics and I can understand pragmatism, it is wrong to demand that only one side be ethical. Neither side should be preaching what they preach unless they are consistent. I am not necessarily it's wrong to be pragmatic, but the problem is the holier than thou attitude of the GOP. They didn't care if Clarence Thomas was guilty because he was a Republican and yet they cared about Bill Clinton's private life.

There are public policy issues that Evangelical Christians view as important that have the support of some unsavory persons.  I, personally, think focus should usually remain on policy.  The mistake Christians made was taking a short-cut on Clinton.  Of course he was a philanderer; the issue was POLICY. 

I don't particularly care for Kemp, and while I am an Evangelical Christian, I don't agree with all of Kemp's policy initiatives.  But there comes a point where the issue really is "Am I getting what I want?".  The issue, perhaps, is the virtue and goodness (or lack of same) in what I want.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #168 on: August 29, 2018, 05:24:41 PM »

Did somebody really merge both of bronz's GARBAGE THREADS into this sacred ground?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #169 on: August 30, 2018, 06:50:09 AM »

A post on the 2020 board reminded me of the straw poll we conducted at this year's Whitfield Kennedy-Carter Dinner. Approximately 150 people voted in the straw poll; here are the results:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #170 on: August 30, 2018, 07:05:36 AM »

A post on the 2020 board reminded me of the straw poll we conducted at this year's Whitfield Kennedy-Carter Dinner. Approximately 150 people voted in the straw poll; here are the results:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The link to the 2020 post is broken.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #171 on: August 30, 2018, 06:56:49 PM »

Apparently, in Georgia's neighbor to the south, their Democratic nominee is leading in a poll by a margin of 5%.  If that's the case, Abrams has to be leading by 2-3% or so.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #172 on: August 30, 2018, 06:59:42 PM »

Apparently, in Georgia's neighbor to the south, their Democratic nominee is leading in a poll by a margin of 5%.  If that's the case, Abrams has to be leading by 2-3% or so.

I dunno, it could just be Gillum/DeSantis, and FL does have a better history of voting D in the modern political age.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #173 on: August 30, 2018, 07:02:20 PM »

The bigger problem for Abrams is that she needs 50%+1 while Gillum can win with only a plurality of the vote.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #174 on: August 30, 2018, 07:17:57 PM »

Abrams’s advantage will never be shown in the polls. I’m ignoring them myself.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies