Warner vs. Warner?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 02:10:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Warner vs. Warner?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Warner vs. Warner?  (Read 1879 times)
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 28, 2007, 10:11:03 AM »

Former Virginia Gov. Mark Warner (D) "is being courted by national Democrats to run for the U.S. Senate seat now held by John W. Warner (R-VA) and is seriously considering the 2008 challenge," according to the Washington Post.

"Mark Warner had dinner with Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee Chairman Charles E. Schumer (N.Y.) last month, and the two have since talked regularly about the contest."

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2007/02/28/warner_vs_warner.html
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 01:23:18 AM »

Former Virginia Gov. Mark Warner (D) "is being courted by national Democrats to run for the U.S. Senate seat now held by John W. Warner (R-VA) and is seriously considering the 2008 challenge," according to the Washington Post.

"Mark Warner had dinner with Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee Chairman Charles E. Schumer (N.Y.) last month, and the two have since talked regularly about the contest."

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2007/02/28/warner_vs_warner.html

I know who would win -- Warner Smiley

Seriously, though, Mark Warner would probably win since John Warner is getting old.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 01:27:44 AM »

John Warmer is probably the most vulnerable Republican Senator up in 2008 to say he'd vote against overriding a Bush veto on the bipartisan 9/11 commission bill. Hopefully Mark would figure out how to club John over the head as being weak on terrorism from that.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 01:38:56 AM »

Mark would win. In 1996, he was just some businessman and he came within five points of knocking John out.

He'd have a decided advantage in 2008 for three reasons: after a very successful term as Governor, he's an enormously popular figure in his own right; Virginia is less Republican than it was in 1996; and Mark is getting old.

I hope he ends up going for this, and not a second term as governor in '09. He could even scare John out of the race entirely.
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 05:42:08 AM »

John will retire if Mark is his opponent.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 11:09:18 AM »

Well, were John to retire, Mark would certainly pick up an open seat if he ran but why the wait?

If Mark does have senatorial aspirations in the event of John retiring then he should declare his candidacy for 2008. John might then opt for early retirement

Still, it's more likely Mark will seek another term as governor but he would potentially have a more enduring career as senator

Dave
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 11:11:33 AM »

Very, very bad for the GOP.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 11:55:29 AM »

I think Senator John Warner is perhaps the best GOP Senator in Congress.  He is a what a Republican should be; the kind of Republican I could actually imagine supporting in some circumstances.  At 79, he is probably too old to run for re-election, yet he is very impressive and has certainly served Virginia well for almost thirty years. 
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2007, 02:51:45 PM »

If John sees Mark wanting to run, odds are he might retire so he doesnt have to run a hard fought campaign. Well wait and see what happens. I wish that Mark would hold off and run for Governor again.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007, 03:20:44 PM »

If John sees Mark wanting to run, odds are he might retire so he doesnt have to run a hard fought campaign. Well wait and see what happens. I wish that Mark would hold off and run for Governor again.

Here is another even more complicated thought - what if John foregoes running for the Senate to run for Governor in 2009?  Of course he may well be too old at 82 then but its a thought. 
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2007, 06:06:28 PM »

I think Senator John Warner is perhaps the best GOP Senator in Congress.  He is a what a Republican should be; the kind of Republican I could actually imagine supporting in some circumstances.  At 79, he is probably too old to run for re-election, yet he is very impressive and has certainly served Virginia well for almost thirty years. 

Can't argue with that

Dave
Rococo4

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2007, 01:58:05 AM »

it would be the marquee race of 08 thats for sure
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2007, 01:11:03 AM »

I think John would have the edge, but the seat is Mark's if John retires.

However, if Mark runs, then John may decide he'd rather enjoy a peaceful retirement rather than face a competitive, hard-fought reelection campaign at his age.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2007, 01:56:16 AM »

I think John would have the edge, but the seat is Mark's if John retires.

However, if Mark runs, then John may decide he'd rather enjoy a peaceful retirement rather than face a competitive, hard-fought reelection campaign at his age.

mark would defeat John and it would not even be all that close.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2007, 10:43:31 PM »

All the talk of John Warner getting too old and retiring because of his age are probably pretty accurate.  However, one only needs to look at Robert Byrd on the Democratic side from John's neighboring state of West Virginia for Senate longevity.  He's 88 or 89 years old and just started another six-year term.  John Warner could try to become the Robert Byrd of the Republicans.  I don't know much about John Warner's health, so someone would have to fill me in on that.  Though, if Mark Warner decides to run in 2008, John would have a hard-fought battle on his hands, and he might retire due to the fact that his body may not physically be able to handle a grueling campaign.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies