Breaking: Supreme Court rules SSM a legal right (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 02:36:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Breaking: Supreme Court rules SSM a legal right (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Breaking: Supreme Court rules SSM a legal right  (Read 26252 times)
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« on: June 26, 2015, 09:19:29 AM »

Where can one see the actual decision?

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/14pdf/14-556_3204.pdf

Link to full decision and dissents.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 09:21:23 AM »

I'm crying so hard right now, and have been for almost 20 mins.   I'm so happy right now.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 11:09:41 AM »

When the other states concede or when the US Supreme Court smacks down some attempt to win an exception, then it really is over. The Supreme Court knocked down, so far as I can tell, every argument against the legalization of SSM. Some backward official in some  backwoods court (Roy Moore is possible) is likely to argue that Obergfell vs. Hodges does not apply to 'his' state.

That will not take long to clear.

District court judges will have to step in in some states, but there is sadly no path for SCOTUS to ever reverse itself on this issue.

Yeah, isn't it sad? People who have been persecuted, shamed, even murdered for most of human history finally getting legal recognition of a human right?

While it's just a damn shame we can't reverse it, but thankfully there's a way for you to reverse your stupid bigoted position and learn to accept the fact that some interpretations of a worthless book written centuries ago is just plain wrong.
I couldn't say it any better myself.  I'm glad the forces of good have overtaken the opponents of freedom.  But we must remember that this victory is only the start of our path.  We still have a long road ahead of us.  Adoption rights, anti discrimination laws, hate crimes laws, the ban on blood donation.  We can celebrate, but we must remember that a fight still must occur.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 02:46:25 PM »

The bigot thinks because the Notorious RBG and Kagan officiated same sex marriages in the past, they needed to recuse themselves.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies