ME Sen I can't really be Collins it yet (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 07:55:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  ME Sen I can't really be Collins it yet (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: ME Sen I can't really be Collins it yet  (Read 78188 times)
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« on: July 26, 2019, 09:23:07 AM »

I'm pretty certain McConnell will prevail and gets her to run, the same way Schumer convinced Manchin to run in 2018 even if he wanted to retire.

I agree. Dems should invest in the race though even if she runs.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 09:41:12 AM »

Collins still hasn't announced officially? What are the chances she's not running. That would change the race from Lean R to Likely D.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 10:01:34 AM »

Regardless, Collins' luck is seemingly running out. Her decision on whether or not to acquit Trump will definitely hurt her in different ways, so that plus her already collapsing approval numbers makes it increasingly difficult for me to see how she survives this.

Yup, though I still think this race is Lean R. But incredible when you think she was elected with 68% last time.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 10:48:51 AM »

Congratulations to Senator Gideon!

I think it's premature to call this race yet.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2020, 03:16:46 AM »

The ads are practically writing themselves.

https://youtu.be/ARP9m7-PzJU?t=440

Susan Collins Admits Trump May Not Have Learned His ‘Lesson’

One day after Sen. Susan Collins (R-ME) announced her decision to vote against removing President Trump from office by saying that she believes he has learned his “lesson” and will be “much more cautious in the future,” she admitted on Fox News that her assumption was based on nothing. Asked by Fox anchor Martha MacCallum if Trump gave her any “assurance” that he would not accept (or solicit) foreign help in his next election, Collins said she has not spoken to him once throughout the Senate trial, which ended in the president’s acquittal Wednesday afternoon.

“So why do you have that feeling that he has changed, that he learned a lesson?” MacCallum asked. Collins smiled broadly as she replied, “Well, I may not be correct on that. It’s more aspirational on my part, it’s more that I hope that he’s listened to the many voices in the Senate who have pointed out that the call was very problematic.” President Trump has never admitted that his phone call with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky was anything less than “perfect.”

God awful Collins is. An annoying fake moderate. If she really had courage, she would have voted against Kavanaugh in the first place. Saying Mr. Trump has "learned his lesson" just to take it halfway back hours later is just beyond stupid. The dude literally committed an impeachable offense by bribing a foreign govt the DAY after Mueller report didn't produce a smoking gun (but neither cleared him). It doesn't take a masters degree to forsee GOP senators failure to hold him accountable will further embolden him to do "whatever he wants".

Collins' handling of this is some sort of "wanting it to have both ways" and what people hate about politicians. I hope ME voters are smart and give her a ticket to retirement on Nov 3.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2020, 09:20:28 AM »

Very "disappointing" numbers for Collins in a new poll:

Hard to imagine she was reelected with 68% of the vote in 2014. That was actually the reason I didn't write her off this time and still don't completely. But this doesn't look all too rosy for Collins, who hopefully pays the price for SCOTUS and impeachment votes. She's an annoying fake moderate.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2020, 10:21:33 AM »

Watching Collins call for 16 debates is hilarious, considering she long ago abandoned town halls to talk to her constituents.

It's at least not how winners talk.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2020, 10:36:03 AM »

Is it just me, or anyone else thinking Collins with her Kavanaugh and impeachment votes may have done Dems a favor in the long run? If she voted against him, the dude still would have gotten confirmed or just replaced with another Federalist Society judge few months later. Voting for impeachment wouldn't have made a difference anyway. And even if senate floor voted for witnesses, the GOP senators were never going to convict Trump regardless, no matter how strong the evidence was. But with her votes, Collins lost a lot of her "moderate/independent" credentials and crossover support, opening up a great pickup opportunity for Dems. Especially now as we're looking to a very close race for senate control, where one state could really make the difference.

Imagine if Collins voted differently: There would (likely) have been one pickup opportunity less now. Even if Collins is going to vote for almost all of Biden's cabinet and judicial nominees on the floor, it's useless as long as McConnell is not allowing the floor votes to take place at all. Let alone Collins wouldn't vote for more than half of Biden's policy agenda anyway.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2020, 11:34:34 AM »

Nobody in ME cares, though?
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2020, 09:10:52 AM »

So Mr. Trump is telling his supporters to abandon Collins? If you're going to lose, at least bring the GOP down with you and let a Biden Admin enjoy a trifecta.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2020, 09:11:01 AM »

You can go back my posts, I was always worried about this race. Collins won her races all handily, and while it was clear she'd lose a ton of support, it was always possible to win. Let's see how it finally turns out, but I'm keeping my expectations low. We'll likely end up with a 52 R senate, with AZ and CO flipping D, while Jones got destroyed even wore than in my worst imaginations.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies