NPVIC - Is it constitutional? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 01:59:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  NPVIC - Is it constitutional? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NPVIC - Is it constitutional?  (Read 740 times)
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« on: July 07, 2021, 12:43:57 PM »

It would need to be approved by Congress to be constitutional.

Even if it were, I don't think it it's constitutional. Then again, I'm also convinced the way Nebraska and Maine divide their electoral votes by Congressional District is also unconstitutional.

Why would EV-by-CD in states without VRA district obligations be unconstitutional?

I'm of the opinion that the Constitution specifically mandates that the electoral college be awarded winner-take-all in every state and Washington D.C.

What part of the Constitution do you base that opinion on? You know that for a good chunk of history many states didn’t even hold popular votes for their electors, right?
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2021, 02:24:43 PM »

Even if it were, I don't think it it's constitutional. Then again, I'm also convinced the way Nebraska and Maine divide their electoral votes by Congressional District is also unconstitutional.

Why would EV-by-CD in states without VRA district obligations be unconstitutional?

I'm of the opinion that the Constitution specifically mandates that the electoral college be awarded winner-take-all in every state and Washington D.C.

What part of the Constitution do you base that opinion on? You know that for a good chunk of history many states didn’t even hold popular votes for their electors, right?

The Constitutional requirement for electors to meet in the state capitol. Congressional Districts don't have capitol cities.
The electors for Maine and Nebraska do meet in their state capitals…
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies