Why are working class whites so often defined as "whites without a degree?" (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 11:45:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why are working class whites so often defined as "whites without a degree?" (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why are working class whites so often defined as "whites without a degree?"  (Read 3684 times)
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: October 18, 2016, 09:31:50 PM »

Because saying that makes it sound like the republican base is poor people. Which is obviously rediculous but it fits the identity politics narrative of the left.

Pretty much this.  Politically active liberals (including much of the media) hardly represent a majority of Democrats, but they MUCH prefer - by and large - to picture their fight as against a bunch of Stone Age rubes than against self-sufficient people who just think the Democrats' ideas are stupid.

And I've never understood quite why this is, considering that the 'guy with briefcase hustling someplace' demographic is a massive paper tiger in terms of knowing what they're talking about and having good ideas.

I think it's telling that while internet liberals are cackling at how trashy, racist and stupid the GOP is this year, Hillary is still talking about how Trump is just going to give tax cuts to his billionaire buddies and running TV ads about how he's secretly for free trade (LOL at everyone who thought she'd make this play for moderate Republicans by being less protectionist than he is).

Hillary love free trade, IINO Tom. Deal with it.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 10:19:37 PM »

Because saying that makes it sound like the republican base is poor people. Which is obviously rediculous but it fits the identity politics narrative of the left.

Pretty much this.  Politically active liberals (including much of the media) hardly represent a majority of Democrats, but they MUCH prefer - by and large - to picture their fight as against a bunch of Stone Age rubes than against self-sufficient people who just think the Democrats' ideas are stupid.

And I've never understood quite why this is, considering that the 'guy with briefcase hustling someplace' demographic is a massive paper tiger in terms of knowing what they're talking about and having good ideas.

I think it's telling that while internet liberals are cackling at how trashy, racist and stupid the GOP is this year, Hillary is still talking about how Trump is just going to give tax cuts to his billionaire buddies and running TV ads about how he's secretly for free trade (LOL at everyone who thought she'd make this play for moderate Republicans by being less protectionist than he is).

Hillary love free trade, IINO Tom. Deal with it.

Even if that's true and you proudly claim her as a total liar, as she's actively campaigning against it, my point sailed right over your head.

Oh the point sailed right into my head, don't think it didnt.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies