Palestine college student protest megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 05:24:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Palestine college student protest megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35
Author Topic: Palestine college student protest megathread  (Read 19007 times)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #800 on: May 09, 2024, 02:00:28 PM »

How American to kick out people cause you don’t like what they’re saying
can you list the countries that are super welcoming to people who celebrate terrorism?

I can think of one country that used to be a major power that fits the bill, but I’d probably get infracted for naming it.
What? The only one I can think of is the Soviet Union/Russia which would not result in infraction obviously.

I can give you a hint - there’s a running gag on Twitter that when someone posts the most vicious, nakedly racist anti-Semitic content about Israel/Palestine, if you check their location on Twitter, it’s inevitably the capital city. That’s all I’ll say.

Pakistan?

That’s the home or ancestral home of many of these posters, but I was thinking more of a top immigration destination.

England?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #801 on: May 09, 2024, 02:12:10 PM »

A vast portion of these protesters are white rich kids born and bred here in America.

Better take a look at ourselves and ask ourselves, what we're teaching these kids.
young rich people are horrible at far higher rates than young middle class people.  They are worse in some ways than even young poor people.  The only thing we can do is try and convince young rich parents to NOT spoil their offspring.  For example, everyone should work in the service industry for a stretch, and not enough kids, especially rich kids, do.  It makes you a better person, certainly a better customer.  It shouldn't be required by the written law or anything, but it should be highly encouraged and people that have not should be mocked heavily for it.  (not that you can't usually tell)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #802 on: May 09, 2024, 02:32:26 PM »

A vast portion of these protesters are white rich kids born and bred here in America.

Better take a look at ourselves and ask ourselves, what we're teaching these kids.
young rich people are horrible at far higher rates than young middle class people.  They are worse in some ways than even young poor people.  The only thing we can do is try and convince young rich parents to NOT spoil their offspring.  For example, everyone should work in the service industry for a stretch, and not enough kids, especially rich kids, do.  It makes you a better person, certainly a better customer.  It shouldn't be required by the written law or anything, but it should be highly encouraged and people that have not should be mocked heavily for it.  (not that you can't usually tell)

You'll be happy to know that in certain young, left-wing, but non-Like This circles, they already are; "you can tell [X] has never worked retail" is something I hear people saying at least once or twice a week.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #803 on: May 09, 2024, 02:35:31 PM »

You'll be happy to know that in certain young, left-wing, but non-Like This circles, they already are; "you can tell [X] has never worked retail" is something I hear people saying at least once or twice a week.
that is great to hear
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #804 on: May 09, 2024, 02:42:59 PM »

Deporting Protestors

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C6wa7fIuGhS/

Sen Josh Hawley asks if anyone 'doesn't think illegal protestors should be deported'.

Total Silence.
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #805 on: May 09, 2024, 03:05:53 PM »

If after six months of indiscriminately bombing a region with one of the highest population densities in the world and Israel has only killed 34,000 people then either the Israeli military sucks or they're not indiscriminately bombing people.

Well, on October 7th Hamas terrorists killed around 400 "legitimate targets" and 800 civilians and this was generally recognized as a brutal act of terror. In contrast, the most charitable estimate of the IDF's civilian-terrorist casualty ratio using their own numbers is no better than 2-1 and realistically is likely far worse than that.

So either the IDF are also terrorists or October 7th was actually a military operation conducted to the rigorous ethical standards of the "world's most moral army". The only real difference in conduct at this point is the scale of the brutality, and that point doesn't favour the IDF.

The difference is that Hamas started the conflict and is thus the aggressor. None of this would be happening if Hamas cared more about the wellbeing of Palestinians than killing Jews. The US and British inflicted 30x the number of civilian casualties on the Germany and Japan than what they took, never once in my life heard anyone suggest that was unjustified because the Axis started the war. The person who hits second doesn't have to be proportionate.

Hamas only "started the conflict" in the sense that prior to October 7th there was no "conflict", the Israelis killed Palestinians in a one sided manner and nobody cared. Calling them "the aggressor" and drawing comparisons to WW2 is a bit like calling the Lakota Sioux "the aggressor" because of Little Bighorn and then justifying WW2 levels of devastation against them. If we're going to use WW2 as the standard then Hamas is hardly any worse than the Soviets in East Prussia, certainly nowhere near the level of brutality of the Nazis or Japanese. But WW2 is not the standard, hence why nearly all of the countries that have started wars since WW2 haven't been obliterated the way Germany and Japan were and you have to reach back almost a hundred years to find a comparison that doesn't make the IDF look like murderous war criminals.

Also, I notice that people who use this "the person who gets hit second doesn't have to be proportionate" logic never apply it towards themselves. America hit Vietnam and Iraq first, would they have been justified in indiscriminately slaughtering American civilians with bombs? I thought Osama Bin Laden was a brutal terrorist but it turns out he was simply applying a disproportionate but justified response as the person who hits second.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #806 on: May 09, 2024, 05:42:48 PM »

If after six months of indiscriminately bombing a region with one of the highest population densities in the world and Israel has only killed 34,000 people then either the Israeli military sucks or they're not indiscriminately bombing people.

Well, on October 7th Hamas terrorists killed around 400 "legitimate targets" and 800 civilians and this was generally recognized as a brutal act of terror. In contrast, the most charitable estimate of the IDF's civilian-terrorist casualty ratio using their own numbers is no better than 2-1 and realistically is likely far worse than that.

So either the IDF are also terrorists or October 7th was actually a military operation conducted to the rigorous ethical standards of the "world's most moral army". The only real difference in conduct at this point is the scale of the brutality, and that point doesn't favour the IDF.

The difference is that Hamas started the conflict and is thus the aggressor. None of this would be happening if Hamas cared more about the wellbeing of Palestinians than killing Jews. The US and British inflicted 30x the number of civilian casualties on the Germany and Japan than what they took, never once in my life heard anyone suggest that was unjustified because the Axis started the war. The person who hits second doesn't have to be proportionate.

Hamas only "started the conflict" in the sense that prior to October 7th there was no "conflict",

There was always a conflict, but there was a sustainable status quo in Gaza which could have been even better if Hamas and Israel had more trust and better intentions toward each other. There was no death or killing of civilians on the scale of October 7 for several years before. If you think that October 7 wasn’t a notable step up in violence, then why do you suppose Israel never steamrolled over Gaza like it did since then before?

People only say “nothing started on October 7” because they can’t reckon with the sheer scale of depravity and sadism on that day and reconcile it with their sense of being the side of good resistance. October 7 was a sea change in the conflict that made everything worse for everyone one.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #807 on: May 09, 2024, 05:46:12 PM »

A Shai Davidai wannabe is now facing the consequences for his depraved actions. He doesn't look too unsafe to me.

Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #808 on: May 09, 2024, 05:52:36 PM »

FIU student asks at a hearing, “are we, anti-Jewish students, not worth protection?” Oops.

S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #809 on: May 09, 2024, 05:53:27 PM »

Hillary Clinton shows leadership on this issue and shows why she would’ve been a great President. Such a strong condemnation of these protestors indicates to me that maybe this country needs another bid by her.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #810 on: May 09, 2024, 05:54:35 PM »

Hillary Clinton shows leadership on this issue and shows why she would’ve been a great President. Such a strong condemnation of these protestors indicates to me that maybe this country needs another bid by her.

Only Hillary could've lost to Trump. And if she runs again she will lose again. Her time has passed and she sucked.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #811 on: May 09, 2024, 05:55:28 PM »

Only Hillary could've lost to Trump. And if she runs again she will lose again. Her time has passed the she sucked.

Because she ran away from Bill Clinton’s legacy in 2016 and didn’t listen to his advice .
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #812 on: May 09, 2024, 05:55:46 PM »

It’s Anti-Zionism, not Anti-Semitism alert: ANU students give Hitler salutes and make Hitler mustaches as Jews try to talk about campus anti-Semitism at a student meeting.

https://www.skynews.com.au/opinion/sharri-markson/anu-investigating-alleged-nazi-salute-and-hitler-impersonation-in-student-meeting/video/5dd18e43f56aa708a78701bd1c736b8f
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #813 on: May 09, 2024, 05:56:47 PM »

Fighting Hamas is important, but labor, healthcare and economic policies too
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #814 on: May 09, 2024, 06:00:44 PM »

Only Hillary could've lost to Trump. And if she runs again she will lose again. Her time has passed the she sucked.

Because she ran away from Bill Clinton’s legacy in 2016 and didn’t listen to his advice .

That is certainly part of it. She also let Trump outflank her on FP and trade, made moronic visits to Texas and focused way too much on being open borders. Worst operated presidential campaign of my lifetime and it isn't remotely close. There's a reason Robby Mook has never been heard from again.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #815 on: May 09, 2024, 06:12:03 PM »

That is certainly part of it. She also let Trump outflank her on FP and trade, made moronic visits to Texas and focused way too much on being open borders. Worst operated presidential campaign of my lifetime and it isn't remotely close. There's a reason Robby Mook has never been heard from again.

Fundamentally while Obama was popular and his favorables were higher than Bill Clinton’s , Bill Clinton’s legacy was more popular.

There is simply a reason why every democrat who tried to run on Obamaism without Obama lost and Hillary made a huge mistake running on that rather than her husband’s legacy . She even had an easy response to Trump’s MAGA slogan which was “Most Americans think we peaked in the 1990s when my husband was president”
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #816 on: May 09, 2024, 07:29:03 PM »

FIU student asks at a hearing, “are we, anti-Jewish students, not worth protection?” Oops.

The correct answer to the young lady is:  "Yes, you deserve protection, but the Jewish students deserve protection from you, specifically, and people like you who openly profess to be "anti-Jewish".

Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #817 on: May 09, 2024, 07:39:26 PM »

A Shai Davidai wannabe is now facing the consequences for his depraved actions. He doesn't look too unsafe to me.

He shouldn't have done what he did and he earned his firing.

The folks this young woman have been with, unlikely, have, indeed, been violating the rights of others, and she's ok with that in all likelihood.  The most I'll say on her behalf is that (A) she has the same right to not be threatened or coerced, and (B) a professor on a campus she attends behaving this way is inexcusable.  But far more Jewish students have been in her shoes, and far more Jewish students have been harassed by radical profs.  I wonder if she has any empathy for those students who do not share her cause, but who were/are in her shoes.
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #818 on: May 09, 2024, 09:24:50 PM »

Hamas only "started the conflict" in the sense that prior to October 7th there was no "conflict",

There was always a conflict, but there was a sustainable status quo in Gaza which could have been even better if Hamas and Israel had more trust and better intentions toward each other. There was no death or killing of civilians on the scale of October 7 for several years before. If you think that October 7 wasn’t a notable step up in violence, then why do you suppose Israel never steamrolled over Gaza like it did since then before?

People only say “nothing started on October 7” because they can’t reckon with the sheer scale of depravity and sadism on that day and reconcile it with their sense of being the side of good resistance. October 7 was a sea change in the conflict that made everything worse for everyone one.

Again, prior to October 7th the violence was entirely one sided and the Israelis had all the benefits of a single state without the cost of having to give the people in Gaza and the West Bank their most fundamental rights. The Israelis killed more Palestinians during the Second Intifada than Hamas killed Israelis on October 7th, there was only an "escalation" if you consider Palestinian life to be worthless and Israeli life to be of infinite value, something that seems to be implicit belief of all Israel defenders. Israel has a right to defend itself by any means necessary but Palestinians don't, apparently.

Also once again, nobody has explained how October 7th was somehow an incomprehensible demonstration of sadism when the Israeli response killed proportionally more civilians than the terrorist attack did. If Hamas killing 2 civilians for every soldier is terrorism than the IDF killing more than 2 civilians for every terrorists is also terrorism. If Hamas killing babies makes them terrorists than the IDF killing 15000 makes them super-terrorists. If anything is justified against Nazis, well, it's pretty clear who the Nazi analogue in this conflict is:

So why can't someone say "October 7th was actually fine because it wasn't as brutal as the Soviet invasion of Prussia"? Why can't someone say "turn Tel Aviv into Dresden", or that Israelis should be forcibly removed like the Sudentenland Germans? If anything is justified then why does that standard of logic only go in one direction?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #819 on: May 09, 2024, 09:40:28 PM »

The Israelis killed more Palestinians during the Second Intifada than Hamas killed Israelis on October 7th,

Remind me if that was all in a single day, included every civilian in the area they (briefly) occupied, and featured live-streamed rape and torture for the audiences at home. I’ll take my answer off the air.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #820 on: May 10, 2024, 12:01:34 AM »

I know that we like to instinctively defend people that appear to be on our side, but I strongly urge people who are sympathetic to the Palestinian cause to realize how dangerous this crap is. Everybody in this country hates ritzy college activists. Everybody hates them. Just look at all the good causes they've helped destroy recently. Feminism is a complete joke now and women have fewer rights than they did half a century ago. Bernie Sanders went from being relatively competitive as a no-name challenger against the establishment candidate to being completely non-competitive against Biden. Environmentalism is largely a joke. Universal healthcare doesn't even seem to be a consideration now after years of "Medicare for All!" cringe. Black Lives Matter is associated exclusively with rioting and lefty bullsh-t and all of the momentum for change after Floyd's murder has been lost. Can we at least acknowledge that these people are terrible at everything they attempt to do? They don't even f-cking vote! There's no value to having these guys in your coalition.

There is a real chance for America to end its abusive relationship with Israel, but it's not going to happen if the Palestinian cause turns into the Green New Deal or #MeToo. If that happens, then any shift in public opinion against Israel could be lost or at least diminished. When these people become the face of your movement, at least half the country rejects your cause purely out of spite. (If you fail to understand this, then you don't understand America.) The pro-Palestinian people should treat these protesters like they're the plague.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #821 on: May 10, 2024, 10:01:29 AM »

I know that we like to instinctively defend people that appear to be on our side, but I strongly urge people who are sympathetic to the Palestinian cause to realize how dangerous this crap is. Everybody in this country hates ritzy college activists. Everybody hates them. Just look at all the good causes they've helped destroy recently. Feminism is a complete joke now and women have fewer rights than they did half a century ago. Bernie Sanders went from being relatively competitive as a no-name challenger against the establishment candidate to being completely non-competitive against Biden. Environmentalism is largely a joke. Universal healthcare doesn't even seem to be a consideration now after years of "Medicare for All!" cringe. Black Lives Matter is associated exclusively with rioting and lefty bullsh-t and all of the momentum for change after Floyd's murder has been lost. Can we at least acknowledge that these people are terrible at everything they attempt to do? They don't even f-cking vote! There's no value to having these guys in your coalition.

There is a real chance for America to end its abusive relationship with Israel, but it's not going to happen if the Palestinian cause turns into the Green New Deal or #MeToo. If that happens, then any shift in public opinion against Israel could be lost or at least diminished. When these people become the face of your movement, at least half the country rejects your cause purely out of spite. (If you fail to understand this, then you don't understand America.) The pro-Palestinian people should treat these protesters like they're the plague.

It's because the Left Populist movement spent so many years outside the Democratic mainstream ( even during the New Deal Days ) that they..... don't exactly know how to operate inside the mainstream.

Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #822 on: May 10, 2024, 06:14:50 PM »

Yikes! I hope she misspoke there and meant to say "non-Jewish."
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #823 on: May 10, 2024, 06:44:33 PM »

Why far-right groups are disrupting US campus protests: ‘When there’s so much attention, they show up’

The demonstrations, part of a broader rightwing effort to sow unrest and undermine an alleged “liberal agenda” at US schools, have at times been marked by violence and drawn far-right participants from around the region, including people associated with local Proud Boy and Three Percenter militia chapters and fundamentalist Christian churches.

The reason these counter-demonstrators are drawn to protests over the war in the Middle East, he said, was that they see them through the prism of a broader rightwing view that “traditional” societies and families are under threat. “Their animosity towards the campus demonstrations are part of this Christian far-right perspective that LGBTQ folks are threats to Christianity, and so are Palestinians or Muslims,” Cravens said.

The campus demonstrations at one of California’s flagship public education institutions, Cravens said, fed into a ready-made narrative from the extremist group about the fundamental corruption of modern schooling. “Their presence at UCLA is consistent with their anti-inclusive education ideology – they argue that public education institutions are failing and are sources of terror for the Jewish community the same way that trans folks are terrors to schools and children alike.”
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -0.14

« Reply #824 on: May 10, 2024, 06:54:38 PM »

Why far-right groups are disrupting US campus protests: ‘When there’s so much attention, they show up’

The demonstrations, part of a broader rightwing effort to sow unrest and undermine an alleged “liberal agenda” at US schools, have at times been marked by violence and drawn far-right participants from around the region, including people associated with local Proud Boy and Three Percenter militia chapters and fundamentalist Christian churches.

The reason these counter-demonstrators are drawn to protests over the war in the Middle East, he said, was that they see them through the prism of a broader rightwing view that “traditional” societies and families are under threat. “Their animosity towards the campus demonstrations are part of this Christian far-right perspective that LGBTQ folks are threats to Christianity, and so are Palestinians or Muslims,” Cravens said.

The campus demonstrations at one of California’s flagship public education institutions, Cravens said, fed into a ready-made narrative from the extremist group about the fundamental corruption of modern schooling. “Their presence at UCLA is consistent with their anti-inclusive education ideology – they argue that public education institutions are failing and are sources of terror for the Jewish community the same way that trans folks are terrors to schools and children alike.”

Delusional. These protests have nothing to do with LGBT rights. If that really were the case, the coalitions of each side would be essentially opposite of now. Another example of why few take these protesters seriously, even while backing the end of the plight of Palestinian people.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies