Gingrich Thinks Hillary Could Win in 2008
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 04:26:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Gingrich Thinks Hillary Could Win in 2008
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Gingrich Thinks Hillary Could Win in 2008  (Read 3426 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 14, 2005, 03:53:26 AM »
« edited: April 14, 2005, 04:04:52 AM by Frodo »

Gingrich Sees Mrs. Clinton as Presidential Nominee in 2008

By KATHARINE Q. SEELYE
Published: April 14, 2005

WASHINGTON, April 13 - Former Speaker Newt Gingrich said Tuesday that he thought Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton, Democrat of New York, would be her party's presidential nominee in 2008 and that she would be "very formidable." He said she might even win.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/14/politics/14newt.html?
AuH2O
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2005, 11:06:53 AM »

Most Republicans believe she can win. I certainly do.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2005, 11:23:31 AM »

I’ll admit that Sen. Hillary has managed to improve herself politically to the point that if she ran she should be able to comfortably hold onto the core Democratic States (new England less NH and Maine CD 2, New York, Delmardic, Illinois, and California) and thus get a minimum of 156 EV's, so she wouldn’t go down in Mondalesque flames, but I don’t think she has yet reached the point where she would likely win if she ran. 2004 showed that for now, if both parties energize their bases, the GOP has a slight edge in Presidential politics.  Hillary needs either a terrible economy in 2008 or the GOP to pick a crummy candidate to gain the victory. There is also the Governor factor to consider, which is that Governors generally do better than Senators in Presidential politics.

Finally, there is the Bill factor.  Rumors that he might get a UN post seem unfounded.  The next Secretary-General will almost certainly be an Asian (Thai Foreign Minister Surakiart Sathirathai is the odds-on favorite).  The two UN posts below Secretary-General that I could see a former US President filling, Deputy S-G, and UN High Commissioner of Human Rights are both currently filled by Canadians making it extremely unlikely that a North American would be their successor.  With him not safely ensconsed in some meaningless UN job, Bill would cast a shadow on any Hillary administration, as people would be constantly asking “What Would Bill Do?” every time something major came up.  To be crass about it, before Hillary makes her run for the White House, she needs Bill to eat one cheeseburger too many and croak.
skybridge
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2005, 11:35:50 AM »

Who cares what Gingrich thinks?
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2005, 08:15:01 PM »

I think that she can win the nomination, but I don't think that she can win the General Election.

Hillary can be as sweet as you please when she is getting favorable press, but she can be downright nasty when she is challenged on anything she says.   All it would take is for her to get started on one of her high-pitched rants, have it caught on tape, then have the GOP loop it--spending millions of dollars on advertising letting the American people she how awful she can really be.  Next thing you know, Hillary loses 35-40 states.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2005, 09:21:01 PM »

I think alot of us underestimate Hillary.  Maybe on the blog's and forum's she is seen as one of the most polarizing figures in American politics.  But to the average voter Hillary is just a former first lady now serving in the U.S. Senate.  The average voter doesnt sit around all day thinking about candidates like most of us.
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2005, 09:58:28 PM »

I think alot of us underestimate Hillary.  Maybe on the blog's and forum's she is seen as one of the most polarizing figures in American politics.  But to the average voter Hillary is just a former first lady now serving in the U.S. Senate.  The average voter doesnt sit around all day thinking about candidates like most of us.

That's true.  The average voter won't even think about the election at all until  Labor day 2008.   Yikes!  Joe Sixpack likes to stay blissfully uninformed.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2005, 10:01:52 PM »

To be honest I think theres only a select group of GOP candidates capable of beating Hillary.

Sen. George Allen
Sen. John McCain
Gov. Mark Sanford
Sen. Rick Santorum (maybe)
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2005, 10:28:44 PM »

I agree I think Hillarry is very underrateed as a candidate.  She can be a divisive figure, but the vast majority of the ones that hate her are conservative Republicans who are very unlikely to vote for a Democrat anyway.  Hillary isn't exactly hated by the moderates.  I think she can take all the Kerry states (depending on the candidate) & could pluch off states like New Mexico, Nevada, Iowa, Colorado (which is moving left) Florida & Ohio.  I'm not saying she will won all these states, or that she will win if she runs.  However what I am saying is I thnk she is underrated as a candidate
MissCatholic

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2005, 09:56:39 AM »

I think Hillary could do well if she wins the nomination. She would struggle though in Colorado, Arkansas, Ohio and even states like Wisconsin and Iowa.

Though what she does bring is her sex. The closer it gets to voting, the more people will want to vote for her as she could be the first female president.

People always want to say i voted for the first this or that, so hillarys sex could tip her over the edge. i think she has a great chance of being president. The problem that she has is can the left build a media machine as powerful and as divisive as Fox news.
kgt107
Rookie

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2005, 10:27:55 AM »

The problem that she has is can the left build a media machine as powerful and as divisive as Fox news.

They already have ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, and the New York Times.  What else do they need?
MissCatholic

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2005, 10:34:58 AM »

ABC, CBS, NBC dont give opinions every day and drill it down the throats of americans.

the reason it gets lots of viewers is because its people just shouting at each other or planned orchestrated scripts. Brit Humes special report is deadly - always watch the segment between .20-.30 past the hour. DEADLY
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2005, 11:31:53 AM »

As much as I hate Newt Gingrich, he certainly knows what he's talking about.  If he says the Republicans should be scared of her, then they should be scared.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2005, 03:08:00 PM »

As much as I hate Newt Gingrich, he certainly knows what he's talking about.  If he says the Republicans should be scared of her, then they should be scared.

^^^
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2005, 04:36:17 PM »

ABC, CBS, NBC dont give opinions every day and drill it down the throats of americans.

the reason it gets lots of viewers is because its people just shouting at each other or planned orchestrated scripts. Brit Humes special report is deadly - always watch the segment between .20-.30 past the hour. DEADLY

WTF are you smoking, or are you just being a troll?

The alphabets have nightly news broadcasts watched by millions and MSNBC and CNN have just as much access to viewers as FNC is.
J.R. Brown
Rutzay
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2005, 06:38:53 PM »

The problem that she has is can the left build a media machine as powerful and as divisive as Fox news.

They already have ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, and the New York Times.  What else do they need?

You can't bitch about there being a liberal bias, then go and create a network with a conservative bias. That's hypocritical.
kgt107
Rookie

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2005, 07:12:25 PM »

You can't bitch about there being a liberal bias, then go and create a network with a conservative bias. That's hypocritical.

I wasn't complaining about liberal bias, I was pointing out that Miss Catholic had no reason to complain about the "evil Fox News" controlling the media when there are clearly large liberal leaning media outlets.
J.R. Brown
Rutzay
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2005, 07:21:36 PM »

I wasn't complaining about liberal bias, I was pointing out that Miss Catholic had no reason to complain about the "evil Fox News" controlling the media when there are clearly large liberal leaning media outlets.

I agree with you on that one. Bias in the media goes both ways and are truly disgraceful.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2005, 07:23:58 PM »

Where? Hint: Salon, DailyKos and Air America don't count as large.
J.R. Brown
Rutzay
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2005, 07:35:13 PM »

Where? Hint: Salon, DailyKos and Air America don't count as large.

No they don't. But large networks like CNN have a sutble bias towards liberals that most people don't recognize unless you really analyze what they are saying and, of course, if you are a conservative.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2005, 08:48:49 PM »

What does any of this have to do with either Newt Gingrich or Hillary Clinton?
J.R. Brown
Rutzay
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2005, 08:50:08 PM »

That's a good question. I have no idea how we got on the topic of media bias.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2005, 05:36:59 AM »

While I agree with your last statement, I don't agree overall.  I think that Hillary Clinton is a very polarizing figure, and she starts out with a fairly high percentage of people who won't vote for her under any circumstances.

I do think she has a shot at winning, under the right circumstances.  But this b_tch has a lot of baggage.  She is already well-known, so it will be harder for her to "reinvent" herself than it would be for the average candidate who is not as well known.  Her strongest support is on the lunatic fringe of her party (which to be honest is a good portion of the primary voters, at the very least), but she risks some of that support with her well-publicized move to the center.  That shrewish Senator from the opposite coast, Barbara Boxer, is a threat to her if she moves too much to the center, and could claim Hillary's place as the darling of every crazed feminazi and left-wing nutcase.

Then there's her husband.  Nobody seems to know where he really stands.  He could be a great asset to her, or a tremendous liability.  This cold, calculating woman probably wishes for her husband to die not too long before the election, because a president's death tends to produce a period of nostalgia for his administration, in which the good rather than the bad is emphasized.  But if he dies too long before the election, this effect fades.  I have argued that I think his place in history is going to decline as time goes by, and this could affect his wife's bid for the presidency adversely.

On the other hand, Slick Willie has great political skills, one that his more brittle and doctrinaire wife may very well need if she decides to make the run.  Still, Bill Clinton has not been a great asset to those for whom he has campaigned since leaving the presidency, and he really can't help her where she needs it the most.  He'd be best for exciting the Democratic base, something that Hillary herself does quite well.

I think a victory by Hillary Clinton would be a national tragedy of the first order.  She is a shrill, arrogant feminazi with a victim mentality.  She has never really changed her crazy radical ideas, just hid them better.  She is an egomaniac, who believes she is owed the presidency as payback for tolerating her husband's philandering for 30 years. 

She will most likely be re-elected to the Senate by New York voters, who are not the swiftest, or the sharpest tools in the shed.  Whether the American people on the whole are stupid enough to put her in the White House remains to be seen.
TheCommentator
AL098
Rookie

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2005, 02:42:08 PM »

WTF are you smoking, or are you just being a troll?

The alphabets have nightly news broadcasts watched by millions and MSNBC and CNN have just as much access to viewers as FNC is.

Liberal bias:
Today, president bush visited Russia. I will now proceed to put a liberal slant on this story.

Conservative bias:
The Democrats are wrong on the filibuster issue. I will now proceed to give arguments why.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2005, 03:34:52 PM »

Hillary reminds me of an American version of Margaret Thatcher.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies